RBGC1 - Galactic Civilizations Succession Game

Sirian

Designer, Mohawk Games
This is a succession game sponsored by Realms Beyond. In a succession game, members of a team take turns at the helm of a single player game, playing a specified number of turns before passing the game to the next player. Our team will be playing Galactic Civilizations with the following specifications:

Version: 1.13
Difficulty: Painful (All Intelligent AI's)
Map Size: Large
Habitability: Normal
Political Party: Federalists
Bonus Picks: 3 picks Sensors and PQ, 1 pick Influence, Luck, Morale, Trade
Victory: Any
Metaverse: Team will agree (at game's end) on one player under whose name to submit our game.

24 hours "got it" notification
48 total hours to play and report a turn
Twelve Turns (one year) per player.
Autoturn: On.
Changeover: At the beginning of the first turn of each year.

TEAM:

Sirian
Zed-F
The Black Cursor
BamBam

Spectators and lurkers are welcome to follow along, and even to add comments or ask questions here or there. Our team roster is full, but for those who may be interested in future SG's, here are some links:

Galactic Civilizations

Realms Beyond

RBGC Forum (Feel free to decline any ad-related promptings).

Recruitment Thread for Realms Beyond players, at Stardock's forum.

RB Metaverse Empire

We start near the middle of the galaxy. That could be good, or it might be bad. :)

Let me start with a full, unedited, uncropped screenshot.

The current date (game turn) is shown in the top left corner.

The main view shows the playfield. The playfield is made of sectors and tiles.

Each sector is a 12x12 block of tiles, and for this map, a Large, the galaxy has 12x12 sectors.

Our initial range for colony ships is two sectors from any base (planet or starbase).

Minimap in the upper right shows the galaxy. Gray dots are stars.

Each star has from zero to five planets, of quality 1 to 20, or occasionally, a juicy 26.

Higher Planet Quality (PQ) is better.

PQ 18+ are good planets. PQ15-17 are fair quality (they bring in income).
PQ 14 are barren (no income). PQ13 or lower are hostile (cost money for life support).

Some improvements can be built to improve PQ slightly via terraforming. 20% boost is available early. Another 20% later.

With 20% PQ boost, PQ13 can be improved to PQ15, which brings in some income.

For this game, we have used three of our bonus picks to select +5% PQ. That means we can get 25% boost early on.
With +25% boost available, a PQ12 can be improved to PQ15.

The minimap on the right has six filter buttons.
Below that, a graph will display a timeline chart, with six stats available to view.
These buttons will change if our civilization shifts its alignment.

The six buttons at the bottom control various interface panels.
The first three buttons affect the information displayed to the right of the main view.
The last three buttons replace the main view with other interfaces.

Button one shows the minimap and graph on the right.
Button two changes the right to display the planet/star list.
Button three brings up your ship list.

Button four opens the domestic management panel.
Button five opens the foreign policy panel.
Button six opens the tech tree.

To the right of the six control buttons, at the bottom, are the stats for the currently selected ship.

In the lower right corner is the stacked ship management panel, used for ships both in space and in orbit.

In the main view, we see the Sol system. (Home). There are two ships to start.
Earth begins with 1 billion "taxed" inhabitants. (Nontaxed inhabitants are ignored, basically).
The USS Discovery colony ship begins with 100 million colonists aboard.
The other ship is a Surveyor, capable of visiting anomalies and exploiting them for minor bonuses.
The asteroid west of earth, in front of the blue nebula (decoration), is an anomaly to explore.

OK, we're ready to get this show on the road. :hammer:

- Sirian

Here's a view of the Sol system:

Sol always starts with Earth (PQ16-20), Mars (PQ8), and Saturn (PQ3). That leaves two slots for random planets, which may or may not appear. This time we got a PQ12 at random. That may be useful, eventually.

In this game, we have extended sensor range so we can see more of the map more quickly, and better observe the goings on of any alien ships we encounter. There are two more anomalies to the left and below, on the main view.

Note that Earth shows as PQ21. That's actually PQ20 base, plus our 5% bonus kicking in to push that up one value. At least we start the best possible value for Earth. :)

I set our economic sliders to spend 100% of our production on military output (to build more colony ships quickly). Unlike civilization, which takes 6 to 15 turns in the early going to train a settler, GalCiv can put out colony ships in as little as two turns, and the amount of population to send on the ship can vary. (It's a good idea to try to send a number of colonists appropriate to the PQ of the target planet, as higher PQ worlds can support a lot more population comfortable. If the people are not comfortable, and the local resources are pinched to support them, they will not be happy, and that is not good).

I increased our total output to 86% of maximum capacity, to have Earth spending 17bc (billion credits) per turn. Since it takes 50bc to build a colony ship, we will get a new colony ship every three turns as long as these settings remain in effect.

This means we are not building any improvements on our planet, nor doing any research, but for now that is best. We can catch up those items later, but the land grab for worlds can't wait!

I send our starting colony ship northeast, hoping to expand in that direction. Our "habitability" is at 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, meaning the number of high-PQ planets will be more dense than at lower settings. We ought to be able to send our ships out and expect to find at least one out of every three stars with a viable world on it, perhaps even more. Of course, a bad luck streak could still happen, with a cluster of four or five stars all being crappy, but we'll see.

Our surveyor goes south and west to clean up the anomalies we've spotted.

On the second turn, our surveyor pops that asteroid, and we are able to use the materials found there to construct a warship!

USS Defender Fortune. You can see its stats: 1 attack, 3 defense, 25 hit points, no combat experience. I send this vessel home to protect the Sol system.

Anomalies come in "types". Asteroids always produce free ships of a minor variety (scouts, drones, minimalist warships). Energy anomalies produce minor boosts to a variety of stats: +1% to defense or weapons, hit points, research, economics, etc. They may also kick out +5% espionage, which rather renders +espionage bonus picks of relatively little value, since a couple of anomalies can equal them. Wormhole anomalies teleport your ship to a random spot on the map. "Unexplained" anomalies often do nothing, but if you get lucky, they will give you 25% of whatever tech you are currently researching. Obviously, you want to try to explore those when you are working on expensive techs, to get more value out of them. Space junk anomalies add minor upgrades to your surveyor. These are generally the least useful, though given enough of them, or in certain rare instances of very early warfare, they can be important.

In April 2178, Earth produced its first colony ship. I loaded up 200mil colonists and headed south.

Unfortunately, the first four stars I've explored are all weak. Stars with PQ15+ planets will almost always be yellow. (Rarely, they can be purple). Orange, blue and white stars may have planets as good as PQ14, but usually they have only useless rocks in orbit. Well, the first four stars I've found are all blue or orange.

Seeing as there turned out to be no good planets at the two stars to our south, I decided to go ahead and grab the PQ14 at Zeus.

No income there, so our initial bankroll of 1000bc will deplete a little faster, but the PQ14 is a "break even" planet, which costs us nothing to inhabit, and boosts our spending capacity. More colony ships can be built. I start Zeus building them. At 10bc/turn (bct henceforth) a colony ship will be done in five turns. The 200mil now on the planet is a bit high. In fact, I have to lower taxes a bit to bring their morale up over 50% (important). I'll simply send most of the colonists offworld in the first colony ship it builds, though, and that will fix the problem. Hopefully, they can continue on to a PQ15+ planet further west.

In September, our surveyor has found a yellow star! :jump: Unfortunately, another race lives there. :eek:

Guess who's coming to dinner.

Sadly, all three stars to north and east are low quality. The two to the east have no useful planets at all. This is very bad news for our eastward expansion. A goodly sized cluster of stars sits off to the east, but they are out of our current range and there are no planets between here and there to settle to extend our range. Well, unless we are willing to send a colony ship with 1mil colonists, just to set up a fueling outpost on a very hostile planet. That may be worth doing, though! If we wait for research or starbases to extend our range, it may be too late!

I sent Earth's second colony ship due northwest, toward a region I will call the Hub. Our third colony ship is heading due west, toward a couple stars we have yet to explore over there. Our first colony ship from Zeus is also heading west/southwest. A fourth ship was produced at Earth, but I left it in orbit for the next leader to handle.

Here's the map, showing the Torians with FOUR SYSTEMS :eek: to our one-and-a-half. Them ain't favorable odds, folks. Although we do have four colony ships in flight, including two that appear to be ahead of the next Torian colony ship, heading west.

Note they are already catching up to us on population!

Hopefully, we find some new stars to settle soon.

North of Sol, there is an orange star with three low-PQ planets.

That system will be worth grabbing, but we need to plan for it. I say let the additional colony ships produced at Zeus, with few colonists to put onboard, try to take care of preparing us to grab the Altros system. We only need 20mil for each PQ12 and 30mil for the PQ13. And we don't want to settle until we are ready to move to 100% social spending, for a while, so we spend the least amount of time possible paying the life support costs on these hostile worlds.

Same with the PQ12 in the Sol system.

Meanwhile, we have three regions of potential expansion, and colony ships heading to each region. It will be up to the next leader to decide which region to prioritize, and whether to keep going on colony ship production full steam or to pause for some researching. (We can't even talk to the Torians yet).

Also, as for our alignment, with a strong Torian neighbor, and the only other civ with influence in our region of space being the neutral Arceans, perhaps it would be wise to lean toward Good alignment. That is, opt for the good choice if we get a planetary event, unless the effect is so catastrophic, we can't suffer it. (Huge morale or PQ hit, for example).

Here is the first-ever GalCiv Dotmap (TM):

This is the Tactical Display, available from the Second Button at the bottom. (Vs the Standard Display).

The faint green shading shows the incredible reach of Torian influence! :eek:

They have control of almost every sector of space we've explored, except our home sector!
We have control of only one sector! :crazyeye:

To our northeast, we see some yellow peeking into the picture. The Arceans have influence up that way.

Nobody seems to inhabit the three regions I've marked in white.
The four stars near home I've colored white are all crap stars with useless planets.

The Eastern Cluster looks like the most promising. We have a colony ship over there, but it lacks range.
We could send the colony ship from earth, with 1mil colonists aboard...
...and settle temporarily at Aquarii, at the orange arrow. This would be costly, but would give us range.

I have a colony ship heading for The Hub. There is only star in range up there, though, so it's a gamble.

Our other two ships are heading Rimward, just in front of a Torian colony ship.

The ship heading for The Hub (red arrow) could be diverted Rimward if desired.
The ship in the East is pretty much hopeless to turn around. Leave it there until we get more range.
The ship at Earth could be used to help our cause in any of the three expansion regions.
The white arrow points to Altros, with the three barren planets.

Our roster order is not yet set. I'd say whoever on the team is available first, post "Got It".
We'll finalize the order based on how the first round plays out.

We're underway, and the initial situation looks less than ideal.
Ah, just the way we RB types like it. :D

RBGC SG1 - January 2179AD

Note, the save file includes a subdirectory. The zip includes full path.
Unzip to a temp directory and copy/paste all contents. Or...
Unzip to the directory containing your Galactic Civilizations directory.

Good luck, team! Best wishes to next leader up.

- Sirian

Having looked at Sirian's turn log, I vote to load up 1M colonists on the currently idle colony ship and use it as a range extender. It seems we don't have much else to do with it since (a) the largest concentration of unclaimed stars appears to be in that direction, and (b) we already have ships going in every other direction.

Q1 2179: Our ships continue to fan out and our range extender colony ship gets on its way. I continue to build colony ships with the intention of sending another colony ship east to take advantage of our range extender. I note the appearance of Drengin territorial borders to our northwest, on the other side of the Hub. We may not be able to get much out of that region, if the Drengin are significantly closer to it than we. From the way the Torians' spare colony ship is headed NW, though, it seems likely that there is at least one good planet for our 2 ships heading west. In March, the more northerly of our two westbound ships spots a PQ15 yellow star, with a PQ14 and a couple PQ12s planets also in-system.

Q2 2179: Our luck continues to hold at abysmal:

The Carinoids have beaten us to the PQ15 planet we discovered by just a couple turns! And, since that's their only other planet, we know there are no other PQ15 planets in the immediate vicinity; the Carinoids would have mopped them up first if there were. There is a slim chance that one star in the far SW of our range might still be accessible & have a PQ15+, so our southwest transport will still keep heading in that direction. Our transport that was headed for the PQ15 heads NE toward the PQ12-13 system, with the intention of possibly turning NW or SE after that if it looks like it might be needed in one of those directions. I have not had good luck in the past with Carinoids buying tech; we'll see if they do so here. If not, we may need to absorb them just to have some decent planets to work with!

After the Carinoids gobble up the PQ15 system, the Torians' colony ship turns West, heading south of the Carinoid systems. The only thing I see out in that direction other than the system our SW colony ship is heading for is outside our range. If we can manage to get Controlled Gravity we might still beat the Torians wherever they are heading... assuming the Carinoids don't get there first.

Moreover, the colony ship headed for the Hub spots a PQ13 planet up there. We could settle it, and try to build a colony ship to use it as an extender and get most of the pop off of there, but the colony's a potential flip risk and there may not be anywhere to send that pop TO, as there's no clear indication of how much of the Hub the Drengin have already settled. Still, for now it seems like the only game in town. On the eastern front, we have a look at two of the 3 systems in the sector we're trying to extend our reach to, and there's nothing usable there. There is still the 3rd system in that sector, plus a bunch of systems further to the SE that will be in range with our extender, so there's still hope for that region.

Q3 2179: We build another colony ship out of Sol, and it's time to check status on whether we want to keep building colony ships. We already have several in flight with no good places to land, but we also want to have a couple spares handy for colonizing PQ12-13 planets, preferably with fewer than 200M colonists, which is what most of our active colony ships have. We also wanted to grab the PQ13 at the gateway to the Hub and then get most of the pop off that rock, which will require a colony ship to be built. So, I elect to continue building colony ships for the moment.

Our colony ship luck continues. In the SW, our colony ship spots a second Torian colony ship, which looks like it's heading to the same system we are, and they are ahead of us. It's hard to say if we have a chance to beat them, but it doesn't look good.

Colonizing Ancros, the PQ13 planet in the Hub to the NW, we get a morality event. I choose the good option and take a -19 morale hit on the planet. All the more reason to get the excess population off as quickly as possible. Colonizing the planet also reveals a economic resource up that direction, the first resource we know about. Our survey ship hits an asteroid and we get a sensor proble out of the deal.

Q4 2179: Our luck finally takes a turn for the better. In the SW, we manage to squeak in to Westerfield just ahead of the Torians and colonize the lone PQ16 planet in that system. Whether we can hold it, only time will tell, and we don't have any other colony ships in the area to keep heading west, not that there's much out that way. In the east, our lead colony ship explores the 3rd star in the northernmost eastern sector and finds it's yellow; we're now only one month away from grabbing it, and once that's done we can abandon our extender colony at Aquarii. There is also another economic resource nearby.

Here's some pics of where we stand:

Notes for the future: We have another colony ship in the southeast headed to the far SE corner of the map, and a couple just east of Sol heading that direction. We have also got a couple low-pop colony ships out of Zeus headed toward the multi-PQ12/13 system just north of Sol, and a couple spare colony ships at Sol itself also intended for snagging the small fry, but which alternatively could be sent east. Trying to build up more of a presence in the Hub or further west is also a possibility, if a bit risky.

We should have most of the SE corner of the map to ourselves, but the Torians or the Arceans could try to poach something if they get Controlled Gravity, so don't dally too much. In any case we are going to have one spread out empire, which could be a challenge to defend, especially in a multi-front war. Ancros will have built its colony ship in 3 more months, and after that we should consider swapping away from colony ship building and towards getting some basic techs under our belts.

Economy-wise, I have kept taxes as high as Earth will stand for now, as I'm not really concerned about growth out of Westerfield or Zeus right now, Ancros and Aquarii are hopeless (at least for the moment) anyway, and we are starting to burn through cash at a fair clip as a result of having all these currently unproductive colonies. We need to be very careful about how quickly we soak up sub-PQ15 planets, as each such planet we nab means one more planet to divide our income among, resulting in social and military projects being completed more slowly at our better planets. Earth and Westerfield are on Constructor atm but those are just very veto-able placeholders. If you want more colony ships rather than a prebuild for something else, by all means change them.

The save:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/rbgc1-2180ad.zip

Heh, looks like an interesting game even though it's "only" on painful. I guess GalCiv SGs will be harder than private games because you probably won't restart the map with spoiler information, and because of the extra trading round the AIs will enjoy every 12 months. This will be interesting to follow! :thumbsup:

Interesting map layout, with nearly no stars to the southwest and the Torians culturally controlling you already (at least it's not the Altarians who seem to be concentrating on culture the most...). I hope you'll find some more yellow stars to colonize.

I'm glad you found enough players for this game; somehow I'm more captivated by Conquest SGs at the moment. And my time for private games is limited too, but I hope to get at least one GalCiv game submitted for december... (amazing that I'm still third in the RB empire :) )

Good luck!

-Kylearan

Comments from the peanut gallery are welcome, btw... if you see any :smoke: by all means let me know! :)

Got it. Will play this evening.

Question for those who have completed more than three games:

I just started using the "spam colony ships" technique for my fourth game (Max Painful--three genius AIs, two intelligent AIs) with the same galaxy config as this game (EDIT: EXCEPT UNCOMMON HABILITY). I spammed colony ships, but there is NADA anywhere within 8 sectors save PQ12s. I did not pick a PQ bonus. Should I restart and play this as a OSC?

Can you clarify your situation in your other game? Your statement that there is nothing within 8 sectors that is better than a PQ12 seems very strange if you are playing on Common habitability on a large map -- the whole map is only 12 sectors across! How far into the game are we talking about here, did you colonize some of those PQ12s and explore all those systems normally? Normally at the start of a game you shouldn't have the range to be able to explore 8 sectors away...

If it is true that there is nothing better than PQ12 within 8 sectors (i.e. you started in the corner, and all the habitable stars are along the opposite edges) then I'd definitely restart as an OSC. Without a PQ bonus you can't even get a PQ12 up to the point where it's marginally useful income-wise before terraforming tech comes in.

Sorry, please disregard my blatent error. My described game is UNCOMMON habitability. :blush:

Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. I will edit the above post to read same galaxy conditions EXCEPT UNCOMMON HABITABILITY.

Jan 2180

Settle Markus (PQ16) and get this morality event.

I opt for the neutral choice--may be :smoke: but -11% morale hit on one of our productive planets does not sit well with me. Energy anomoly gives +1 weapons. Colony ships heading outward--one north to the hub, one to the rim, and two heading toward the Eastern/Southeastern Cluster.

Feb 2180

The sensor drone is heading to Torian Space. More colony ship movement. I am likely going to switch to social production after I reveal a bit more of the map.

March 2180

Colony ship out of Ancros (hub). Loads up with 30M and starts heading out.

April 2180

Scout out of Aquarii I. The southeastern most colony ship spots a PQ13 two sectors south of Markus. This ship has 200M colonists--not going to waste it here, and I am not out of in-range sectors with planets to explore.

May 2180

More movement. Spot a Drengin world just NW of our hub colony.

:eek: That's a nice system. Guess they had an morality event there. Wonder which choice they took :hmm: :evil:

June 2180

Markus (eastern cluster) pops a colony ship. Switch Westerfield over to a colony ship and bump up spending to complete the constructor out of Earth in five turns. I suggest that we change to social spending after that constructor pops.

How's this for a laugh?

All hail our powerful colony ship fleet :worship:

July 2180

Two more colony ships (Westerfield and Zeus). Another energy resource gives +1% soldiering. More movement.

August 2180

Find a PQ14 to the NW of the hub. Yep, that's how bad it is...

September 2180

Find a PQ14/PQ12 system 2 south and one east of Markus.

October 2180

Scout and colony ship complete. That's the last ship Aquarii can complete before I make the switch, so it (and 5M) is abandoned to save some dough.

November 2180

Another colony ship. One turn left of 100% military spending. JACKPOT! Spot a PQ18 that is 3 months from colonizing. [dance] I think we might get this! Spot the Caranoids two sectors west of Zeus--just west of a PQ14 worth grabbing. Two colony ships from Earth are launched to the system just north, with 20mil (PQ12) and 30mil (PQ13) on board.

December 2180

Constructor and colony ship complete. I start sending the constructor to the econ resource in the eastern cluster--just because I do not think we can get the one up by the Drengins. There is also a PQ16 by the Areans, but I think that one is going to be snatched up by them right quick. The PQ18 is ours.

We have 15 colony ships, so it is time to switch to research and/or social. Let the colony ship out of Earth complete, so that we can either take the PQ12 in Sol, or the 2nd PQ12 in the system just north of Sol.

RBGC1 January 2181

Good luck to The Black Cursor

The Black Cursor <===== UP
Sirian <===== ON DECK

EDIT: Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I think it was because I still had the game running, and was editing the captured picture in a different resolution ?? I do not know--my normal screen capture program wasn't working--I had to paste into my picture editor. Ah well. I think you can still get the gist of the situation.

Note for any lurkers out there: this is quite an atypical start. :) Normally you have a cluster of planets all located more-or-less together, with maybe a straggler here or there if it's not too much of a flip-risk. Here our empire is spread out all over the place!

We should be about to run out of our initial bankroll by now, so we will have to watch funding for a bit until we can either sell some tech to a minor or start getting trade routes going. Normally I like to at least have Soil and Habitat built on all my planets by this point, but we had no chance for that here. The next couple years could be a bit lean, which won't do wonders for our growth curve. I would be concerned, but we're only on Painful so it problably won't be too bad. We still need to research some crucial early techs too, such as Diplomacy, Trade, and Basic Environment, and nabbing early wonders looks like it might be a bit of a challenge unless we can come into a lot of cash soonish.

A question for the team, do we want to take advantage of our ability to sell tech to Majors? Normally I don't do so since it's a bad habit if you intend to play Maso, but this is a team effort so we should probably come to a consensus on this.

I was thinking the same thing with Jaxom... 15 colony ships? I mean, the most I had in flight is like 5, and a few of them always lose the race to their target planets. I never grab pq12s and rarely grab 13s, but if you only have earth, 1 pq 18, and 2 pq 16, and the rest start out at 14 or less, it'll be a while until you can stabilize your finances. I prefer to get a few productive planets and just work on those. I never seem to get enough money anyway, so I don't need planets of lower quality to burn income (as I have no income to burn). How do you get your cash to finance your empire?

Oh yes, find the Alexians early and sell your techs to them. I always use them to finance my early 100% spendings.

Note for any lurkers out there: this is quite an atypical start. Normally you have a cluster of planets all located more-or-less together

Only when playing Tight Clusters, which this game is not. I set it to Loose Clusters for this one. Scattered would be even worse yet!

Tight clusters favors the player by preventing the AI from leapfrogging outside its initial cluster too soon. Scattered favors the AI because they have full spoiler information, while player has to scout a LOT more than with tight clusters.

The star clustering settings matter more, the larger the map size. On Tiny, it makes almost no difference. On Gigantic, tight clusters tend to keep the AI's from sprawling as far. Scattered is a scouting nightmare, unless you scout-n-reload with full spoilers -- something that won't happen in SG's or RB tourney games. Thus, scattered stars may be worth as much as a full difficulty level vs tight clusters, in many games.

What is atypical about this game is that for Common habitability, we did not draw a single yellow star near earth? THAT is highly unusual. I'd expect to find one or two even on Occasional setting.

A question for the team, do we want to take advantage of our ability to sell tech to Majors? Normally I don't do so since it's a bad habit if you intend to play Maso, but this is a team effort so we should probably come to a consensus on this.

I would not object. It doesn't hurt to know HOW to sell for cash effectively. It only hurts if you overrely on it to where you fail to learn to be able to make do without it.

Considering how heavy we are on "barren rocks", a little early supplemental cash would be quite nice, so we can speed along the "in the red" period on the lower PQ worlds.

Of course, TBC is Up Now, so he will make decisions for the coming year. :hammer:

- Sirian

We are on 24/48, right? How closely are we sticking with that? TBC's 24-hr got it window is nearly up...

Sorry about that TBC--got a bit sloppy in my posting procedure. I usually verify all my links before I sign off for the evening. Link is fixed.

Top Bottom