Realism Invictus

-Just replayed France today. I think France is OP. Early have axeman bonus 25% city and 10% archer, rush it early you can easily destroy your neighbor before they unlock composite bowman. Later have musketeer (unique aquebusier), musketeer which have 10% attack city. Spam it, promote drill and with aid stack bonus, they are very relatable taking city cause first strike stack and bonus city str, much more than normal man-at-arm, no weakness to recon, cavalry or any thing. Just stack these OP musketeer. easily carry France to flintlock era. Flintlock era they have strong line infantry and 13str grenadier, despite only have bonus 20% city and gunpowder while normal have 25% so that even, but when promote kick in (Napoleon-conqueror and charismatic), it stacking up and dominating. And after that they have their Foreign Legion. This civ is OP, so easy to play, easily as strong as England .
I think I will move France to top tier.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that Spain isn't higher on anyone's "wish list" - because I can only say that Spain in - pretty much - every single game they've been in has been a "pain in the a$$" for me. Just like here in my current one (see spoiler).

Spoiler Spain - more or less - clears the table. :

Civ4ScreenShot0172.JPG

The game isn't over yet - more than 2.500 turns left - but it will surely be a challenge to make the Spaniards down to their knees.....

Edit: Just got my first entry on the Wonder-list.
Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPG

Many people know that I "change a little here and there" in the xml codes - but I "tinker" very, very little with the strength of the various units - if I do, that happens only if I'm changing something "else" ...

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that Spain isn't higher on anyone's "wish list" - because I can only say that Spain in - pretty much - every single game they've been in has been a "pain in the a$$" for me. Just like here in my current one (see spoiler).

Spoiler Spain - more or less - clears the table. :

View attachment 687888
The game isn't over yet - more than 2.500 turns left - but it will surely be a challenge to make the Spaniards down to their knees.....

Edit: Just got my first entry on the Wonder-list.
View attachment 687890

Many people know that I "change a little here and there" in the xml codes - but I "tinker" very, very little with the strength of the various units - if I do, that happens only if I'm changing something "else" ...
Spain got england-japan island like lottery ticket here. Can open border to everyone. No war, spend all their hammer to wonder and science, may have some goldmine so can 100% science all the time. They play simcity while other civ fighting eachother.

Spain got england-japan island like lottery ticket here. Can open border to everyone. No war, spend all their hammer to wonder and science, may have some goldmine so can 100% science all the time. They play simcity while other civ fighting eachother.
I thought you said that your list wasn't based on the world map scenario?

I thought you said that your list wasn't based on the world map scenario?
it not world map scenario.
"england , japan island like" is like irl japan and england island.
Land separated from main continent but not too far, sea still crossable with basic sailing ship.
any civ started on lone island will have tech lead, no matter what they are

My list is based on semi-random map, every civ started on main big continent and their favorite biome

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Water is still fixing bugs, but I'm making a bug report. When I press end turn on this save, the game hangs indefinitely. Up to now, turn times for this game have been no more than 10 seconds on my computer, so it's not the classic problem of turn times creeping up as the game progresses. And I'm not getting a MAF crash. I suspect that the AI might have got itself into some sort of infinite loop?

Save attached. The loop is reproducible simply by pressing end turn.

Attachments

• Parameswara.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Manually ending some wars between AIs in editor usually helps, happened to me a few times too in the past.

Hello, is it possible for the creator to add an option from the Defender Withdrawal 2.0 minimod - as I understand it, these are C++ files, so they would have to be compiled. Or alternatively, can I ask for the source files to compile and super short instructions on how to do it? I think this mod would add even more realism to the RI game.

Hi, i have a problem, the ui dont show

Attachments

• 20240405_134217.jpg
    20240405_134217.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 33
Can we give early crossbow to northchina like south china too?
Qin, Han know for mass use of crossbow
Or how about move Chu-ko-nu to earlier tech. Unlock them from Mechanics make them borderline useless and not history realistic at all.
Chu-ko-nu aka Zhūgě nǔ or Zhuge crossbow, three kingdom era, same era as composite bowman (sanguo aka three-kingdom) in game

Manually ending some wars between AIs in editor usually helps, happened to me a few times too in the past.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried ending all the AI wars, but it didn't stop the issue. I ended up going back in time to my earliest autosave 40 turns ago, manually ending wars then, and playing - that seems to have fixed it, fingers crossed.

Or how about move Chu-ko-nu to earlier tech. Unlock them from Mechanics make them borderline useless and not history realistic at all.
Chu-ko-nu aka Zhūgě nǔ or Zhuge crossbow, three kingdom era, same era as composite bowman (sanguo aka three-kingdom) in game
For earlier Cho-ko-nu go to mod folder Beyond the Sword\Mods\Realism Invictus\Assets\XML\Units then open with for example notepad or notepad++ ( i recommend) file : TR_Unique_Units_CIV4UnitInfos.xml , then press ctrl + f ( loop ) , paste "UNITCLASS_CHINA_ONLY" and now you are in xml code of cho-ko-nu
a few lines down you will find techs required
If You are not sure what is the name of techs go to :
Beyond the Sword\Mods\Realism Invictus\Assets\XML\Technologies

For earlier Cho-ko-nu go to mod folder Beyond the Sword\Mods\Realism Invictus\Assets\XML\Units then open with for example notepad or notepad++ ( i recommend) file : TR_Unique_Units_CIV4UnitInfos.xml , then press ctrl + f ( loop ) , paste "UNITCLASS_CHINA_ONLY" and now you are in xml code of cho-ko-nu
a few lines down you will find techs required
If You are not sure what is the name of techs go to :
Beyond the Sword\Mods\Realism Invictus\Assets\XML\Technologies
look easy. Thanks

I'm not sure if Water is still fixing bugs, but I'm making a bug report. When I press end turn on this save, the game hangs indefinitely. Up to now, turn times for this game have been no more than 10 seconds on my computer, so it's not the classic problem of turn times creeping up as the game progresses. And I'm not getting a MAF crash. I suspect that the AI might have got itself into some sort of infinite loop?

Save attached. The loop is reproducible simply by pressing end turn.
I'll have a look; people do report "infinite turns" from time to time, but I am not sure if I'll be able to do anything about it.
Hello, is it possible for the creator to add an option from the Defender Withdrawal 2.0 minimod - as I understand it, these are C++ files, so they would have to be compiled. Or alternatively, can I ask for the source files to compile and super short instructions on how to do it? I think this mod would add even more realism to the RI game.
I won't be doing it. Here are the super short instructions: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-easiest-way-to-compile-a-new-dll.608137/, and the instruction for getting the source files of the mod is in the first post of this thread.
Also I noticed that new rebel nations still do not start with a palace.
Thanks, will fix.
Hi, i have a problem, the ui dont show
Means your installation is broken. Can't say anything more without more details from you.
All civs have either an early crossbow or a composite bow; TBH I feel a composite bowman is the better unit in the era, especially since China has a good one, so that would be a major downgrade. Also, thematically

Having looked at the repeating crossbows, I feel I want to redesign the unit a bit, including moving it earlier in the tree (which will functionally give China an early crossbow too, at almost the same time), as Mechanics is indeed too late for the Warring States period. The current implementation is based more on the Ming version, and in Ming era it was indeed no longer that much better than its alternatives at the time.

If you are still going to add a retreat mod to your own version of "Invictis", then let me give you some advice.
The mod in its current form is not very realistic. There is a requirement for the retreating player to have more movement points compared to the attacker. In reality, this is not the case, the infantry mostly successfully retreated from the infantry with few losses. This is clearly seen, for example, in the campaign of Napoleon in 1813-1814, when the French faced a shortage of cavalry and defeated opponents got off lightly. But the opponents had cavalry with all the consequences at Leipzig.
So it's better to put not more movement points, but more or equal. This adequately reflects the key role of cavalry in the pursuit, during which (if it was successful), as a rule, more losses were inflicted than during the battle. In general, it was the cavalry that turned defeat into rout. At the same time, it will make the light cavalry, which had it almost the main function, much more valuable units.
The ideal retreat mod would also have to take into account the terrain, but we are not in ideal :)

Hi,
I have one question and I hope someone here could help me a bit.

I play this amazing mod with 2 friends multiplayer, we all have high end PCs but from my understanding that does not matter too much because game is 32 bit and is limited by architecture anyways.

What we noticed is that later in the game we have relatively often out of sync and we need to reload the game in order to continue.

Can someone give any tips that could help me to prevent this or to make game a bit more stable late game ?

I guess there must be something we could do, we turned random events off, since I read somewhere that this might be good option to turn off, anything else ?

Hi,
I have one question and I hope someone here could help me a bit.

I play this amazing mod with 2 friends multiplayer, we all have high end PCs but from my understanding that does not matter too much because game is 32 bit and is limited by architecture anyways.

What we noticed is that later in the game we have relatively often out of sync and we need to reload the game in order to continue.

Can someone give any tips that could help me to prevent this or to make game a bit more stable late game ?

I guess there must be something we could do, we turned random events off, since I read somewhere that this might be good option to turn off, anything else ?
The short answer is, unfortunately, I can't help you.

The longer answer is OOC are caused by some dll function (that's probably called more later in the game) that's been written in MP-unfriendly way and so causes desync every time it's called. It is theoretically fixable, but to isolate it, much less fix it, one has to be a much more proficient coder than me.

I also dont have interface options

Attachments

• 20240407_083757.jpg
    20240407_083757.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom