Realism Invictus

i'll also do a brief reportback, I tried the MAF fix on the first page and it didn't work for me, plus the feature to try it is a premium one that costs a lil bit of cash to try. Hard to tell if its cut down on them a bit, feels like I get about as many more crashes as MAFs have cut down, but may totally be observer bias

Ugh. Since nobody here gave you the right answer: look in CIV4CommerceInfo.xml

Finally an answer, thx :)

So, for my specific problem (civilizations getting too advanced techs centuries too early with the Huge world map and realistic speed) - would you recommend to lower the effect of tech diffusion ... oder should I just increase research costs for all techs (or maybe both)?
In my last try I played with all tech costs being 1.5 more expensive (Huge world map and realistic speed, emperor difficulty) and yet again, one civilization discovered first scientific experiment at the end of the middle ages or begin of renaissance era :/

Have to manually reset informants in all my revolting cities every turn even with citizen automation off, makes late game wars unbearably tedious

Have to manually reset informants in all my revolting cities every turn even with citizen automation off, makes late game wars unbearably tedious
How big is your map (both in total and in landtiles?
Do you play on a round (world) map or a flat map?
How big is your savegame file?
How many cities do you think there are in total in your game?
And last: How many active nations are still alive?

i tested progressive trait + mass production doctrine and this guy who write it few posts ago was right, cost of upgrade unit is 0
need to be fixed i think..?

Unfortunately, I've hit the same situation with the latest mod version - the game was very smooth until that one turn when trying to end the turn hangs the game indefinitely. I've removed all wars in World Builder and apparently it fixed everything for now, but I can't say it's the ideal solution. Is it possible to avoid it somehow in the future or it's just randomly happening and nothing can be done? I've played a few games in the past with RI but it's the first time it occurred to me. I'm including a save just before the bug so maybe it will be potentially helpful for someone.
you need find a "this city" who usually crash the whole game
usually its a city from some minor civs like taiwan, ukraine, austria and remove it in worldbuilder

How big is your map (both in total and in landtiles?
Do you play on a round (world) map or a flat map?
How big is your savegame file?
How many cities do you think there are in total in your game?
And last: How many active nations are still alive?
Giant totestra (iirc), not counting land tiles by hand but low sea level
round
6716KB

Like, I know WHY its a crashfest and WE is so high from dozens of units dying constantly, its just a huge pain to have to manually readd the informants every turn to not collapse lol

More importantly, the "task your secret police with arresting the seperatist leaders" seems bugged in that I have access to it without the Lubyanka wonder, and that the tooltip doesn't communicate it cuts down on great person generation by 50% for the duration

e. imo the progressive+mass production is fine. It applies to, like, maybe 30 units in late industrial to modern, and requires you to survive that long and also get a specific world wonder first, and then mass produce enough air/tanks/ships AFTER having built the wonder (and then surviving to the next tier availability) to be good. Plenty of other combos come online much earlier and presumably to more affect.

e2. these placements seem to also be reverting as the turn processes as well, since I can't figure out another reason that I can get all my revolt risks to negative and still have an unavoidable giant rebellion the next turn

Last edited:
Giant totestra (iirc), not counting land tiles by hand but low sea level
round
6716KB

Wow:eek: - I have to admit I'm somewhat amazed that you can still make the game work - even if you have to do a "cleanup" after each turn.
Size of savegame - well, I have tried to have a running game at that size too. Once :) (!). The game ended successfull, but surely...... it was just before i gave up on playing that game to an end.

The way I see it, you've exceeded most of the limits of what I thought TheGameEngine could handle - so I'd probably thrown in the towel a long time ago. Now, I don't know how many turns you have left before the game should end - but.....

Only advices I can give - if TheGameEngine still can handle it and you have patience left - are: Try to turn off Separatism, destroy about 100-150 cities (with or without the help of other AIs) - and also try to "remove" some nations from the game by defeating them. Or give up this game.

If you want to retry your game, then increase the distance between cities from 2 tiles to 4 or 5 tiles. With somewhat fewer cities on the map, your chance for having a more smooth game will increase significantly.

P.s.: You can even change the distance between cities during the game if you want to - say let the first 200-300-400 turns keep the default value - so nations can make a "core" of cities - and then raise the value to 5 (think 6 is too high) to limit further settlements.

P.p.s.: You do not have to count the landtiles manually - just hover the cursor on your nation like this (lower left, 2nd line (6.880 land))....

Spoiler Revealing number of landtiles :

Civ4ScreenShot0200.JPG

Last edited:
I have discovered something very strange today while playing the mod:

Before, I have always played with only Domination and Diplomatic victory conditions ON. And AI was razing conquered cities in at least 90-95% of the cases. Always. In every single game. I didn’t like this feature, but I thought this is how the mod is supposed to work.

Today I started a game where I have also enabled Cultural and Space victory conditions, and guess what? AI keeps (doesn’t raze) the conquered cities in 95% of the cases (unless it is Mongols or Aztecs ofc). I guess this is how it is supposed to work, but still very curious why AI changes its behaviour so radically when Cultural and Space victory conditions are off 🤔

Last edited:
Were you playing with "play to win" on?

I have tested it again - only Domination and Diplomatic victory conditions, but without AI plays to win. AI behaves normally, it doesn’t razes all the cities.
So the problem appears only when Cultural and Space victory conditions are off, while AI plays to win is on. In this case AI razes almost all captured cities.

I have tested it again - only Domination and Diplomatic victory conditions, but without AI plays to win. AI behaves normally, it doesn’t razes all the cities.
So the problem appears only when Cultural and Space victory conditions are off, while AI plays to win is on. In this case AI razes almost all captured cities.
Is that a problem? If I was planning a Domination victory I'd probably want to get rid of a lot of cities on my road to glory.
Did you test it with the score victory on? I'd have thought the AI would want to keep as many cities around as possible then.

Is that a problem? If I was planning a Domination victory I'd probably want to get rid of a lot of cities on my road to glory.
Did you test it with the score victory on? I'd have thought the AI would want to keep as many cities around as possible then.
Why to destroy cities that you can easily keep if they count for your domination % too? And they start to raze cities just from the start of the game, not somewhere in late game when they are just 1-2% behind of Domination victory.
And even if somehow this was the case - why it doesn’t happen when Cultural and Space victories are also on? It would make more sense for AI to raze high-cultural rival cities just to ensure they are not taken back for rival Cultural victory.

Do you mean by Time victory? No, I haven’t. I never play with Time victory on.

Last edited:
New cities, especially conquered ones in potentially unideal or even just middling positions, can be a drag on your civ for many many turns before they get brought up to par. It's entirely sensible to raze entire sections of an enemy empire to build yourself a buffer while getting xp/beakers/gold for the trouble.

New cities, especially conquered ones in potentially unideal or even just middling positions, can be a drag on your civ for many many turns before they get brought up to par. It's entirely sensible to raze entire sections of an enemy empire to build yourself a buffer while getting xp/beakers/gold for the trouble.
I am talking about razing of cities in at least 90% of the cases. It is not only isolated, undeveloped cities. In most cases it is well-developed, bordering cities. I would even say that AI razes all the cities, except the last city of the rival (or except the last city on current landmass).
You can test it, leave only Domination and Diplomatic victory conditions (with AI plays to win option) and you will see what I am talking about. This is extremely weird behavior of AI.

I have a question about how exactly “AI plays to win” option works - I haven’t found the exact answer anywhere in the forums.

I got the idea that with this option ON, at some point in game AI chooses the victory type it wants to achieve, and then pursues it (unfortunately without trying to prevent rival AIs from winning).

But does this option also change AI’s behavior in any other way?

I started a new game with “AI plays to win” option OFF, and it feels like AI is less competitive/smart now than it was with this option ON. I am only in early game though, so I am not sure if it is really the case, maybe it is nothing more than a feeling.

So I would like to repeat my question - does AI’s behavior change in any other way except choosing and pursuing exact victory condition? Or is it also smarter / more aggressive in other aspects too (especially in the early game)?

Last edited:
Hey folks!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for me to ask a question pertaining to the RI Huge Earth Map scenario (and I know this is not the first time that this has been asked), but each time that I reach a certain point in my game, usually around the late Renaissance or early Industrial Era, it crashes. If I return to the game from when it crashed, I might be able to proceed a few more turns before the next crash.

Can anything be done to remedy this? Thanks!

What's your usual ratio of production cities to commercial ones? In late games (emperor level) I'm always heavily outproduced and swarmed by these monstrous 300-unit stacks (case from today, sponsored by Cyrus) so I'm trying to investigate what should be done better. My ratio is about 1 production city per 3 or 4 commercial ones (excluding GPF), but it really looks like I should have them more to deploy the army faster.

I'm attaching a save if anyone wants to "review", I would be happy to take any advice. Everything was going smoothly until Cyrus suddenly skyrocketed with military power and things started to collapse since "AI plays to win" option is enabled.

Attachments

• Casimir III AD-1949-October Invasion.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4 MB · Views: 8
300-unit stack?! You are probably playing with “no unit cost scaling”. Turn this option off (that will enable unit cost scaling) and it will fix this problem.

Top Bottom