Realistic Approach Institute

You can have earlier ages ran by mythical leaders, like the Five Entitlties and the Three Soveriegns of China.

I think a great, simple, way to do generational leadership, is to simply have X years go by, and then you choose an heir from a popup. The heirs you have open to you would be somewhat random, but you'd always have at least one. Each would have slightly different traits, and effect which heirs you would get after that.

This way you could have a cultural revolution when So and So takes over, due to his appreciation of the arts. But when his warmonger daughter takes the reins, things in your civ change.

That sounds cool, except it doesn't actually change the civ, just give various small bonuses.(+ 5% production, + 5% ranged attack, +10% buildin cultural buildings ect) that make you lean to focusing on that stuff instead of doing it balanced all through the ages.

What about putting a roman numeral next to the name and incrementing it up by 1 every hundred years or so?

Generation Xerox is, of course, in full effect here.

I like it!

But make the interval random (1-70) and do it for all rulers so they are not in lockstep.
(The game can do the math)

You could make some adjustments in leadership traits. Sometimes you get an heir that is just different. and then revert back to the normal range.

I think the game has some military issues, revoling around cavalry using bows (there are none) and unit formations. There is a greater element of stradegy than in other games, but something beyond bowmen in the back, soldeirs in the front, cavalry on the rea would be nice.

I also think a fear aspect would be interesting. Since units survive battles even if they loose, they might become demoralized and the player loses control over them for the next turn or so. It`s temporary, but I think it reflects real life battles well. :)

I think a great, simple, way to do generational leadership, is to simply have X years go by, and then you choose an heir from a popup. The heirs you have open to you would be somewhat random, but you'd always have at least one. Each would have slightly different traits, and effect which heirs you would get after that.

This way you could have a cultural revolution when So and So takes over, due to his appreciation of the arts. But when his warmonger daughter takes the reins, things in your civ change.

Tie the leaderhead to the social policies you have chosen, perhaps?

Ah, but that'll result in combinatorial explosion. No way you can make enough leaderheads to represent every possible form of government for every era of every civ.

If I may suggest a different approach to your realistic approach: Why don't you try to find out which realistic ideas would actually make a significant gameplay contribution that holds up to the amount of time spent on implementing them?

There is so much you'd have to do to make a game like civ even remotely realistic that you can't just throw ideas out there and expect to implement them all.

A good start is: Creating dynasties in Civ would be hell for a programmer. It would mean re-writing very large parts of the core game. And it doesn't contribute much to your fun if you either just take over the new dynasty when the old one dies, or your leaderships dies with it.

Progressively developing units (via free promotions for example) would be a lot more interesting, on the other hand.

Ive always loved the idea of a family tree as per Rome Total War, difficult to implement in to Civ but Im thinking along the lines of "great general" units being family members and keeping your leader unit safe in the capital city...

It could be fun if your civ is being rolled over by another and you have to gather a few units to flee with the leader unit who could then seek refuge in a city state and start again building cities etc.. along the lines of the "requires complete kill" option in civ 4 which just meant the odd random galley floating around aimlessly, at least with a leader unit who could become a settler or 'take over' a city state there would be a point to this option... or am I just talking early morning-need-coffee rubbish!

Ive always loved the idea of a family tree as per Rome Total War, difficult to implement in to Civ but Im thinking along the lines of "great general" units being family members and keeping your leader unit safe in the capital city...

It could be fun if your civ is being rolled over by another and you have to gather a few units to flee with the leader unit who could then seek refuge in a city state and start again building cities etc.. along the lines of the "requires complete kill" option in civ 4 which just meant the odd random galley floating around aimlessly, at least with a leader unit who could become a settler or 'take over' a city state there would be a point to this option... or am I just talking early morning-need-coffee rubbish!

Lol. That just made me think:
Troy-> Aeneas
Aeneas -> Carthage try to make new base
Not enough relation with Carthage, use mooched off resources to build a settler and an archer and goes north
Finds Etrucians, settle down in one of the towns.
Declares indepence from Etrucians and conquer them
Conquer rest of Italy
ROME! SPQR!

I wouldn't say heir production is all that simple.

Some rulers are monogamous. Others aren't. Some don't marry at all, and just adopt an heir.

With monogamous rulers, there are generally kids, but not always. The eldest son may inherit, or the king may choose his favorite. Daughters may or may not be permitted to inherit. If the king has no children eligible to inherit, a nephew may be chosen instead. There may be disagreements over the rules of inheritance. In a society where the eldest son has always been chosen, there may be conflict if a kings wants to appoint a different son as his heir. In a society where the status of women is controversial and the king has no sons, some people may support the daughter inheriting, and others would prefer to see the nephew. Some people may take sides in these conflicts not out of idealistic attachment to a rule of inheritance, but based on who they would rather see on the throne for personal or political reasons.

With polygamous male rulers, "lack of an heir" isn't really much of an issue. If one wife is incapable or has a difficulty bearing children, there are plenty more. If the male ruler is even slightly fertile, he will at least have some children. So it becomes more of a problem of too many heirs. Take for example the Ottoman empire. Throughout much of their history, the ascending Sultan practiced fratricide to eliminate dispute over who the appropriate heir was. As soon as he had his first healthy son, his brothers and their sons would be executed, to prevent civil war. At some point, they stopped doing this, and simply locked up their brothers instead. As a result, when the Sultan died and was succeeded by his bother who had spent most of his life in prison, the new Sultan was insane, which lead to decline.

Some of the best Roman emperors were adopted. I guess they didn't suffer from the flaw of having been spoiled in their youth (or driven insane like the people who went from prisoner to Sultan). Plus, imagine actually being able to pick a qualified heir, rather than being stuck with the luck of the draw.

I'm not sure how to best represent this realism without throwing gameplay too out-of-whack. A few random events would add depth, but nothing too drastic. There will always be an heir. There might be some bloodshed before one is chosen, but someone will win. It will usually be a member of the civilization. Merging of civilizations through marriage can occur, on rare occasions, but even if rules of succession gave a foreigner a legitimate right to the throne, being ruled by a foreigner is generally not preferred by the people, who would fight to have one of their own inherit. Other times, a civilization will split rather than decide on just one heir, but again, this is rare, since they will generally just fight each other until a winner emerges.

And by fighting, I don't just mean armies, but also popularity contests, assassins, etc.

Internal politics events could enhance gameplay, but I wouldn't want to get too bogged down in them to the distraction of all else.

A more practical approach to the realism of dynasties is to keep the current leaders throughout the game, but to let them spawn princes and princesses (aka sons and daughters) and marry them off to each other. This can strengthen alliances and create another web of diplomatic ties between the civs in a game.
Princes and Princesses can be simply represented by just their name, or by pictures. This is an easy introduction of dynastic policies which are so very important in all government forms except democracies. And it avoids the problem to mod hefty animations.

Sudden vacations and moving apparently mess with my joining things. Anyways, I am back and will try joining that forum. I saw that several people said I had interesting ideas, and I'll post those more in the actual forum.

So, I looked through the forum rules and realized that they were relevant because I've basically only ever read these forums, not posted, and there's a rule that you can't join a social group without five posts. So, this is hopefully my fifth post.

And still no joy. Hopefully another post and maybe some waiting for the system will solve that. BTW, I hates this sort of problem.

Welcome to CFC. :cheers:

Remember to use the "Edit" feature to add to your last post if no-one has responded yet.

EDIT: Like this.

Top Bottom