Red Air Force Ground Defense in WW2?

BC1871

Warlord
At any point during WW2 did the Red Air Force have any form of ground defense personnel whether formal or informal?

I'm aware of the formations that later on became the PVO and manned searchlights, anti-aircraft artillery and detection equipment, but I've never seen anything during WW2 or even the Cold War which indicates that the Soviets had anything comparable to the RAF Regiment, the many iterations of the USAF Air Police, Security Police, Security Forces or even a ad-hoc formation such as Canada's Airfield Security Force.

At any point during WW2 did the Red Air Force have any form of ground defense personnel whether formal or informal?

I'm aware of the formations that later on became the PVO and manned searchlights, anti-aircraft artillery and detection equipment, but I've never seen anything during WW2 or even the Cold War which indicates that the Soviets had anything comparable to the RAF Regiment, the many iterations of the USAF Air Police, Security Police, Security Forces or even a ad-hoc formation such as Canada's Airfield Security Force.

I don't know for sure, as the U.S.S.R has never been too much of a research interest for me. However, considering that the Soviet Red Army didn't even have MP's during its existence, I don't think its likely. The Soviet military did have something called Komendantskaya sluzhba (Commandant's Service) who provided many of the functions of Western MP's, except highway patrol stuff, which was handled by a completely different service. However, their role seems more to fall under what we would term "security guard" than actual police. Moreover, these guys seemed to be under the organizational structure of the Political Officer system. The Soviets seemed to have a knack for bureaucratic craziness.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, there were combat support troops (guards, reconnaisance, communication, etc.), which were structurally part of Air Forces.
There was no special name for them.

During WW2, the NKVD performed many of the functions you mentioned. Don't know about after the war, but would not be surprised
if the KGB carried on.

During WW2, the NKVD performed many of the functions you mentioned. Don't know about after the war, but would not be surprised
if the KGB carried on.

That would have also been my answer after reading the OP. NKVD handled a lot of stuff that in other armies was done by military police or other specialized forces/services. No more than an educated guess, but, I think, likely to be correct.

Top Bottom