Refined Poll: your standing with the game

Refined Poll: Your standing with the game

• Total voters
Dislike, stopped playing.

1upt is horrible. It's also not the right answer to stacks of doom. It's a contrived artificial rule to enforce the other extreme of a perceived issue from previous Civ games.

I've played previous Civ games mostly as a builder. As someone else explained very well in another thread, Civ5 is not a builder game. In fact, it's obvious the designers had always played previous Civs as war games.

Civ has always been an empire building and growing game to me with war as a tool in the game. I went back to Civ4 within a few weeks. Sadly, I pre-ordered Civ5 Deluxe in excitement with high expectations. I won't make that mistake again.

I don't like vanilla all that much and wouldn't be playing it, but with mods it's a whole lot more fun.

I don't use mods by i hear great things about them. A big expansion can act like a big mod and can resolve many problems. Better AI, DLC in multi, new features (or imported ones like espionnage, religion, etc.). It's the only way to call back all people who don't like this game.

Personnally, i'm more a MP player than SP one. 1up is THE best feature added and it grantly helps enjoying multiplayer games. On another side, civ IV BTS has really strong bases for singleplayer fans.

SP mode---> civ 4>civ5
MP mode---> civ5>civ4

If only they can fix multiplayer...they never fixed it completely in civ4, but it wasnt that bad in last 2 years. Remember vanilla 4...it was even worse than today with vanilla 5.

So i'm still playing it because i'm not bored when i play MP. I am when i play SP. I was bored when i played SP in civ4 too....but it was still better than civ5.

AI will never think like good and unpredictable humans.

I don't use mods by i hear great things about them. A big expansion can act like a big mod and can resolve many problems. Better AI, DLC in multi, new features (or imported ones like espionnage, religion, etc.). It's the only way to call back all people who don't like this game.

Personnally, i'm more a MP player than SP one. 1up is THE best feature added and it grantly helps enjoying multiplayer games. On another side, civ IV BTS has really strong bases for singleplayer fans.

SP mode---> civ 4>civ5
MP mode---> civ5>civ4

If only they can fix multiplayer...they never fixed it completely in civ4, but it wasnt that bad in last 2 years. Remember vanilla 4...it was even worse than today with vanilla 5.

IIRC designers have more or less straightly admitted that multiplay is not a priority in V. This is not a surprise as their business model relies heavily on DLC and DLC doesn't fit well with multiplay. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting multiplay to be fixed. :(

I kind of like it but we have not played it with a friend for a long time already cos of multiplayer problems. I dont know if we will pick it up after a new patch or not. Tired of waiting.

Dislike. Stopped playing. Civ IV, GalCiv2 are more fun. There's no reason to play this.
Several things I really dislike - totally unbalanced civs, pitiful ai, rigid social policies that remain the same for the whole duration of the game come to mind. I also miss an in-game map editor, regenerate map button, xml-based resource placement, and hotseat.

I played it for about 10 hours, never got into it and haven't played since. I'm more of a builder and for whatever reason, the game didn't match what I really liked doing in past Civ games.

Once I have time, I may see if I like the post-patch(es) game better.

My sentiments exactly, except I only lasted 3 or 4 hours before deciding it was not much fun.

I really hope the patches can improve things, and I'll keep an eye on them, but I fear the worst. :(

Dislike and don't play, frankly 1UPT has broken the whole civ feel of the game. When production, tiles, improvements, etc. have all been nerfed to fix something, that while tedious and somewhat gamey, but not broken, you know it's trouble.

When I put in the demo first time my first reaction is "Yay it works" (my gfx card being borderline), then I loaded up a game (Warlord, Standard) and saw that my first worker would take 25 turns, I was thinking "hang on there's something off here", and the farther on I went (never bought played full version at a friends) the more the foreboding came on me. The whole idea of the series is to build an empire, not wait around for hundreds of years just so the Lead Designer can get the bad PG clone he always wanted.

Disclaimer: I was really optimistic about V when it was announced. While a bit worried about 1UPT, and, well, ignorant about hexes (fears cleared up there on further reading), my biggest fear was my Gfx card. But I was right to be worried about 1UPT.

Oh and one final thing before I go. Those proposing using mods to rescue their willingness to play the game should drop that line. Mods should be used to change a game which you like and want to play, to put the game into new areas, or try out ideas the modder thinks would work in the game system, not resuce a game you consider to be not worth playing in it's base form. Basically you're telling us to pour lots of gravy over our mushrooms (I really detest mushrooms) in order that we may enjoy a meal we hate.

Still playing because I still enjoy the early game exploration and adventure but almost always abandon the game when it gets to the modern age as the type of win and who is just about always a foregone conclusion. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, I want to like the game but I expect when golf season starts again, it will be Sayonara Civ5 probably forever.

I just finished a new game of the original Colonization and it strikes me how good that game still is. Sure, you can play as a warmonger, kill off indians and buy what you need, but only for a limited amount of time. After a while, the taxes get too high and muskets and artilleries will be too expensive to buy.

But the skilled builder can create really powerful colonies with fortresses, thar produce tons of horses, muskets and artielleries. These colonies will be almost impossible to conquer if you focus on war. Instead, the winner is the one who gets good trade routes running and that have to patience to do all that micromanagement.

I can still play that game for 20 hours straight without getting bored, even though I've broken the games many time by exceeding the unit limit, colony limit and score limit. But that's okay, because I actually have fun while I'm playing.

I went back to Alpha Centauri and Fall from Heaven long ago. Me and my friends had great hopes for Civilization V, but alas! It is shallow.

I will be back if Lemmy finishes his D.U.C.K.S mod, though. It will make Civ V the game we had expected it to be and much more.

I just finished a new game of the original Colonization and it strikes me how good that game still is. Sure, you can play as a warmonger, kill off indians and buy what you need, but only for a limited amount of time. After a while, the taxes get too high and muskets and artilleries will be too expensive to buy.

But the skilled builder can create really powerful colonies with fortresses, thar produce tons of horses, muskets and artielleries. These colonies will be almost impossible to conquer if you focus on war. Instead, the winner is the one who gets good trade routes running and that have to patience to do all that micromanagement.

I can still play that game for 20 hours straight without getting bored, even though I've broken the games many time by exceeding the unit limit, colony limit and score limit. But that's okay, because I actually have fun while I'm playing.
I REMEMBER THAT! Exceeding the unit limit - happened so often, damned! I hated that.

I disliked it and stopped playing because the game runs slow for me despite my high spec pc i bought mostly for civ 5. I also don't have the same one more turn mentality i had with IV as production is longer and I don't get the same sense of expanding my nation. Diplomacy is lacking and it's very difficult to role play. Combat is fine but unit upkeep is atrocious and I just feel their is an overall lack of tile strategy.

I'm glad at least some people enjoy the game but to me this should have been called revolutions II as it is an unworthy successor to IV.

Dislike and don't play, frankly 1UPT has broken the whole civ feel of the game. When production, tiles, improvements, etc. have all been nerfed to fix something, that while tedious and somewhat gamey, but not broken, you know it's trouble.
I don't buy into this whole argument that all of the games flaws can be pegged on 1UPT.

Tiles de-emphasis is probably the result of increased number of tiles per city, rather than this non-sensical notion that 1UPT is somehow involved.

Disclaimer: I was really optimistic about V when it was announced. While a bit worried about 1UPT, and, well, ignorant about hexes (fears cleared up there on further reading), my biggest fear was my Gfx card. But I was right to be worried about 1UPT.
I'm very much amused that you blame 1UPT for poor tile yields when it's the conversion to hexes and the increased number of tiles per city that led to the decrease in tile yield.

Or maybe it was just Shafer & Co. attempting to "streamline" the game so that there was less incentive to spend time calculating ideal city locations based on yields.

I can't see at all how you'd logically blame CiV tile yields on 1UPT, and consider this just another form of irrational 1UPT hatred.

I don't buy into this whole argument that all of the games flaws can be pegged on 1UPT.

Tiles de-emphasis is probably the result of increased number of tiles per city, rather than this non-sensical notion that 1UPT is somehow involved.
It doesn't matter if you buy in to it. It's been conclusively demonstrated multiple times. No matter how much you plug your ears and go NYAH NYAH NYAH to anything you've been shown, it doesn't change it. 1UPT is the reason that "most" of the rest of the game, including building times and tile yields, is the house of cards that it is.
I'm very much amused that you blame 1UPT for poor tile yields when it's the conversion to hexes and the increased number of tiles per city that led to the decrease in tile yield.
I'm very much amused that you can't figure out that if they had wanted, they COULD have adjusted build times to account the extra workable tiles and their production to come up with reasonable production times for units. Yet they didn't? Why? 1UPT. The map would be more of a traffic jam than it already is.
Or maybe it was just Shafer & Co. attempting to "streamline" the game so that there was less incentive to spend time calculating ideal city locations based on yields.

I can't see at all how you'd logically blame CiV tile yields on 1UPT, and consider this just another form of irrational 1UPT hatred.
I can't see how you can't acknowledge the evidence in front of your eyes. You're so dead set that you must be right and everyone else must be wrong that proof means nothing.

Here's one speculative scenario which, to me at least, is as likely if not moreso than whatever you're suggesting, Builer.

Shafer/Firaxis wanted to make city placement less challenging; they didn't like that players were enticed to calculate long-term tile yields, or that some players with more intelligence or greater experience were better at it than others, or something. I mean, when they're putting maintenance on roads to limit road-spam because they consider road-spam as "ugly," any explanation for a change is plausible.

In order to facilitate this, they reduce tile yields, and increased the number of tiles available to the city. This made relative total city yields more homogenous, which reduced the importances of local yields in relation to city placement. If not for select terrain restrictions on a handful of buildings, there would be theoritically next to no difference between end-game city outputs based on placement.

In the end, we're left with blander cities, not because it somehow facilitates 1UPT, but because it facilitates Shafer/Firaxis' stated goal of "increasing accessiblity." I bold that because we have actual quotes stating that this was something they were trying to achieve; I've seen no quotes anywhere suggesting that Shafer/Firaxis even knew to balance any aspect of the game around 1UPT, only speculation.

Meanwhile, if their goal was to reduce unit spam, why do it by nerfing tile and tile improvement yields? That seems like a backwards way of going around it, when they could directly approach the problem through unit maintenance. Why introduce a readily accessible gold-purchase option? That seems completely counter-productive to the suggested goal.

I understand that some players, indeed some players whose opinions on Civ I generally believe implicitly, find a loosely logical connection between many of the changes present in CiV and 1UPT. They sound more like Michael Moore than the long-standing and well-respected community members I've known them to be. Personally, I prefer to consider the simplest solution.

Balance? I don't believe any serious attempt was made at playtesting or balancing the game at all. The lack of experienced management is evident throughout the game, and in this era of gaming I don't doubt in the least that someone at 2K or Take2 told Shafer to release as soon as they saw a playable demo.

My proof that there was no balance, and certianly no balance around 1UPT; gold-rushing units completely undermines any argument that they tried to limit the number of units in order to facilitate 1UPT.

1UPT is the reason that "most" of the rest of the game, including building times and tile yields, is the house of cards that it is.
"'Most' of the rest of the game" is the way it is because of poor leadership. Blaming it on 1UPT is just looking for a scapegoat. We already have a scapegoat; he left the company after tanking its flagship product.

I'm very much amused that you can't figure out that if they had wanted, they COULD have adjusted build times to account the extra workable tiles and their production to come up with reasonable production times for units. Yet they didn't? Why? 1UPT. The map would be more of a traffic jam than it already is.
Or build times are adjusted to the availability of production modifiers based on era, and the ridiculous ezmode gold-purchase option available constantly and throughout the game.

If you'd care to give me something more substantial than empty gesturing, I'd be happy to read and discuss it. What I do see is speculation without even the courtesy of labeling it as such.

"I like/enjoy the game, but I stopped playing it, because ..."

1. There are better ways to spend my time, one being playing other games which are better than civ5. ;)
2. The game is still going through patches and I would rather wait for the game to become potentially more stable (i.e. less crashing) and less of a resource hog before committing to lengthy games. The fact that Steam imposes an inflexible patching system doesn't help either.

only the crushes disappoint me
i am playing on a true earth map and it crashes on the same turn over and over !
even after i reload the game from auto save i can't play my game anymore

this is really frustrating, i like the game but i am starting to hate it because of this

only the crushes disappoint me
i am playing on a true earth map and it crashes on the same turn over and over !
even after i reload the game from auto save i can't play my game anymore

this is really frustrating, i like the game but i am starting to hate it because of this
I found many of my crashes were related to some sort of graphical issue; disbaling "auto-jump-to-unit" or whatever the option is called not only helped minimize the number of crashes (provided I didn't scroll across the map too much or too quickly), but also kept the nausea down.

If you'd care to give me something more substantial than empty gesturing, I'd be happy to read and discuss it. What I do see is speculation without even the courtesy of labeling it as such.

Just because a point is short and obvious does not mean it's empty gesturing or speculation. In fact, it really points more to your stubbornness and ignorance when it's THIS short and obvious, yet you still cling to your argument. You can't admit that 1UPT (primarily in a case like this where Units and Cities are the same size, and these tiles being too large for a "tactical" feature) is the root of many problems because you've attached your argument to it now, and admitting it now means you've been defeated by a stupidly obvious point. Can't have that.

It's simple.
  • If they had wanted, they could have made units quicker to produce.
  • They did not.
  • So they are not.
  • Why not?
  • To avoid breaking 1UPT.
  • Except on Deity, where it's broken anyway due to production bonuses.
That's it. At least concerning units. Building Hammer costs... and Gold/Building Maintenance... are similarly limited for the same reason. Low yields relative to Production costs.

Everything else you're saying is just camouflage to avoid admitting you are wrong.

Top Bottom