Religious buffet

marceagleye

Underground Economist
Can someone tell me if it's possible to have all the religions in a single city? Does that city have to be your capital? Must it meet a certain minimum population? Can you do it in multiple cities? And can your cities reach 100% worship? Or does a tiny percentage remain atheist forever?

It is theoretically possibly to found every religion in one city, but very unlikely. When a religion is founded, there is a random element to which of your cities becomes the holy city. However it is biased against cities which already have religions (especially multiple religions) and strongly biased against your capital (if you have your capital and one other city when you found a religion, it is about 8 times more likely that the religion will be founded in the city that isn't your capital). The only reliable way to do this is to have only one city, and play at low enough difficulty level that you can hit the necessary techs first despite this.

Thanks. I'm in my first game of Civ4. It might take two months for me to finish. That's how long my last game of Civ3 took. But I'll try it and see what happens. If I get it done you'll find out.

Thanks Mr Cynical I'm slow on the keyboard. Perhaps I will steer my strategy in another direction then.

Wait a minute. I didn't mean FOUND all the religions in one city. I meant HAVE all religions present in one city.

Oh, right, sorry. Having all religions present is quite easy. Each religion present in a city makes a missionary less likely to succeed in spreading another religion there, but it's still quite possible to get all seven in a city if you're willing to tolerate a lot of failures from the last couple of religion's missionaries.

Gotcha. Getting the last couple takes patience. However, if achieved one could have both a temple and a monastery of every religion all in the same city, correct?

Yes, you could get a temple of every religion (and the monasteries assuming you got all the religions in place before the invention of scientific method).

That %, if I'm understanding you correctly, is on the religion screen. It describes the percentage of the world that follows a particular religion. I can't tell if it goes just by cities or by population count.

i did it on noble/standard/epic/cont. i thought it would be fun to play for religious goals. i won culture. i had all the holy cities. tons of gold. i played as mansa musa. by 1500 AD i was running 100% science @ around 100gpt. i did of course spam missionaries to the world. i first spammed i think hindu to all other civs, thus converting the world to hindu. it made everyone happy with me, resulting in a fairly peacful game. still had war with monty. it was a short war since i had the funds to support a LARGE military.

i have found religion can be a huge bonus in all games. even on prince i can found half the religions. and then i capture the other half.

i think my next game will be a no religion game. :hmm: no missionaries allowed...

Top Bottom