Requests for new components (and features)

Love the new dot mapping function officially added in 3.6, been lurking it's development for a while now :goodjob:

So then the request for tweaks hehe:)

On the Civ playing field the grays and black dot map colors are very very hard to see and as such, I just don't use them.

I understand the limits on colors are coded in civ4 but well is it possible to change those three greys for other colors? Izzy's pinkish whatever color would be nice!

Cheers!
-Liq
I second this motion.

The dot-mapping is, indeed, a wonderful feature to include. I was giddy with delight when I discovered it. :woohoo: Kudos! :goodjob:

But like Liquidated, I'd like to see a few more colour options, if that's possible. :please: Every now and then I end up planning anywhere from 12-20 cities on a blocked-off portion of land on a huge map, and I'd use up the current colour scheme pretty quickly.

I've made the list of colors user-configurable by editing an XML file. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do. I'm currently trying to make the color selection box prettier (colored squares instead of text labels). In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for default colors?

I've made the list of colors user-configurable by editing an XML file. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do. I'm currently trying to make the color selection box prettier (colored squares instead of text labels). In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for default colors?
Which file is that?

As for default colours--what about adding some of these. I created this palate right in Windows Paint. I don't know what the code values are, but I call them orange, amber, pink, tan, ivory, light blue, dark blue, brown, mauve, and burgundy.

We have to choose from the colors in CIV4ColorVals.xml. While the player can replace that file with their own, that becomes dangerous if you share a saved game with other players.

The file you'll need to edit is [Custom]Assets/Config/StrategyOverlay.xml, but it doesn't currently have the list of colors in it. The part you'd edit looks like this:

Code:
<init>
	<arg name="colors" type="tuple">
		<!-- 3.6 used the colors from ColorUtil's <init> in init.xml -->
		"COLOR_PLAYER_RED",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_PALE_RED",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_PINK",

"COLOR_PLAYER_ORANGE",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_PALE_ORANGE",
		"COLOR_MAGENTA",

"COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_YELLOW",
		"COLOR_YELLOW",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_LIGHT_YELLOW",

"COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_GREEN",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_GREEN",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_LIGHT_GREEN",

"COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_CYAN",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_MIDDLE_CYAN",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_CYAN",

"COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_BLUE",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_BLUE",
		"COLOR_PLAYER_LIGHT_BLUE",

"COLOR_BLACK",
		"COLOR_LIGHT_GREY",
		"COLOR_WHITE"
	</arg>
</init>

I've attached a Civ4 color table. BTW, this is the new dotmap color picker. You can choose which colors to show (I think showing every color is overkill) and how many colors per row the table should have. Feel free to select colors from this table.

Number them starting from 1 in the top left and increasing to the right and then down with 20 per line.

1, 2, 3, . . . 20
11, 12, 13, . . . 40
. . .
121, 122, . . . 127​

I've also attached the current selection of colors that covers a good range of visible colors. I tried to pick dark, medium and light versions of the standard spectrum (ROYGBIV) or as close as I could get, but some are obviously too close to each other.

Looks great Emp.

Seriously, as much as I loved bug before, this dot map feature just makes the mod that much better.

Fantastic work!

Cheers!
-Liq

Is it possible to have the mapfinder utility added to BUG? I like using that in HOF for occ games(other games too)
The mapfinder requires some DLL changes. We are starting to think DLL changes - not sure if mapfinder is on the list (or even possible). You can use HOF to find a map you want to play and then play it under BUG ... just don't select 'locked assets'.

The mapfinder requires some DLL changes. We are starting to think DLL changes - not sure if mapfinder is on the list (or even possible). You can use HOF to find a map you want to play and then play it under BUG ... just don't select 'locked assets'.

oh ok, i thought since the map was created in HOF, you had to play it with HOF. thanks

oh ok, i thought since the map was created in HOF, you had to play it with HOF. thanks
Actually, I think there is a trick to this ...
  • start HOF mod as per usual
  • set up the game parameters (opponents, map, size, etc) - do not select 'locked modified assets'
  • mapfind your start
  • open WB and save as WB save (scenario)
  • restart civ4 with BUG mod
  • play scenario and look for the save you created above

Actually, I think there is a trick to this ...
  • start HOF mod as per usual
  • set up the game parameters (opponents, map, size, etc) - do not select 'locked modified assets'
  • mapfind your start
  • open WB and save as WB save (scenario)
  • restart civ4 with BUG mod
  • play scenario and look for the save you created above

Ah I did forget about that. Thanks again!

I apologize if someone else has requested this but I just looked on the site of the top 50 requests and couldn't find it.

Is it possible to show the top three cultural cities and/or spaceship components for multiple civs? There could be a way to do this already I just simple don't know. There have been several games where i'm sabatoging a civ's spaceship parts and then another civ I obviously wasn't paying attention to comes behinds and wins by building there ship but the victory screen only shows the one closest. Similiar cases have happened with cultural victories as well where i'm killing one civ to stop cultural and the runner up civ wins. Now I realize that it is my own ignorance that caused me to lose but I was wondering if it was possible?

The SShip request has come up before and should be doable - that information is shown to the user via alerts so BUG wouldn't be revealing new information. The cultural cities are not shown and that would be new information - I don't think we will be showing that. I would suggest you keep an eye on the culture chart for a 2nd AI that is gunning for a cultural victory and then run spies over there to check.

Could it be possible to color each era's techs differently in tech screen? The game already tells if tech advances you to next era if you hover your mouse over the tech so having eras colored with unique colors wouldn't reveal any extra info.

I think it would be neat to have a notification "wang kon can research liberalism" "Shaka can research steel" etc.

That's probably possible. I know you can play other sounds manually, but I don't know about soundtracks. If you or someone makes it work, I'll gladly include it in BUG.

I have a request for the dot maps. I'd like to be able to just mark a single tile, not the whole BFC for a city. That way I could plan my tile improvements in advance. For instance, if I have a Corn resource several tiles from a water source I could plan an irrigation path to it. The ideal option would be to have a second set of markers with just a single tile marker and all the current colours selectable. I'm not sure though if you've maxed out the available overlays with the current markers. If so, then maybe have an option appear when we go into editing mode that allows us to turn off the BFC and just have the single tile marker instead.

@Willem - This was the original idea from Eunomiac which turned into the dotmapping tool. We have a limited set of markers we can design because the game engine is setup that way, unfortunately. The city dot we use now is one of them. We can easily replace the numpad keys that you see if you turn on NumPad Help to show which keys to hit to move your units. There are more still that we can replace.

One idea is to allow you to mark improvements. Another is to allow you to mark battle plans, sentry points, rally points, blockade points, etc. The problem is that there are approximately 20 icons we can replace, but many more ideas for what we'd like to use. So we have to spend some time discussing all the possibilities and then prioritizing them.

Another limitation is that each tile can have only a single overlay icon. Now you're not going to want to place an improvement icon where you've placed a city dot, so those layers could be shown together, and of course you'd want to see where your cities will be when planning improvements. But the other layer (the "strategy" in the name of the original idea) would need to be hidden when showing the city/improvement planning layer. Not a problem really, so we just need to pick icons and then build it.

Top Bottom