• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Research agreements formula

clinton

Warlord
I've been trying to find a research agreements formula by searching the forums, but I haven't found an explicit formula. What I have seen also is that research agreement output is some average of the two civs, capped at your current research level, and they give (disregarding bonuses) 5 turns of tech over 30.

So lets say CivA has Science per turn of 999, and CivB has Science per turn of 1.

Does that mean that CivA gets 2500 science (average of 500 * 5) but CivB only gets 5 science out of a research agreement?

If this is the case, this seems pretty nonsensical? Why would an advanced civ get a massive amount of science working with a primitive civ, but the primitive civ gets little out of working with the advanced civ? It seems like the caps should be the other way around! Is this actually how it works, or have I missed something, because it seems really stupid the way I've interpreted it.

Moderator Action: Not much of a strategy to see here -> moved to GD.

In other words, RAs are another way of making runnaway civs run even faster :thumbsdown:
Seems like the devs never heard about "rubber band mechanics" :rolleyes:

Yes, but as a game mechanic, it's pretty good. You have to pay more if you are to gain more science out of the deal.
I don't want to be back to the infamous tech trading, where all AI would basically be at the same level, ruining the game.

Well, historically speaking, science and technology tends to grow and increase exponentially over time. Kind of like a snowball at the top of a hill – it’s small and moves slowly at first; but over time it grows bigger and moves faster. So, in my mind, it makes sense that a more advanced civ would receive a greater benefit from a RA than a less advanced civ. Having said that, I also understand that the civ games have not been on point when if comes to historical accuracy; so maybe what’s nonsensical is making such an argument in light of that fact. :p

so, if your bpt is the lower end of the 2 partners and it remains that way for the entirety of the 30 turns, you cant get more than the average of your bpt for those 30 turns times 5? is this the case?

since averages fall between the highest and lowest bpt and there is a cap that wont allow it to go beyond your max bpt, then while you get less actual beakers than the tech leader you still get more beakers as a percentage because yours is the max according to your bpt while theirs is always less than their max bpt.

i think im understanding it now.

Would be better if they adopted a median rather than an average.

Is there an easy way to tell how much you should be paying for a RA? For instance, if the AI offers one for 300, how do I know if I should only be paying 250?

Is there an easy way to tell how much you should be paying for a RA? For instance, if the AI offers one for 300, how do I know if I should only be paying 250?

Basic RA payment is always scaled according to the era you are in.
The extra pay is usually demanded by the AI according to diplomatic standings and technological advancement. The fee paid by each is usually the same, unless the AI is behind. If the AI is an era behind you, it will ask for 100 gold extra (or iron + horses in the atomic age or stupid junk like that)

When there's only two numbers to average; median is the same. (It's averaging the two parties involved in the RA not every civ)

If your in the same era, it's the same amount (even if one civ just entered that era and the other is about to exit).
Extremely early on, there's one era that there's no premium, after that the next one is 50 gold, following which its 100 gold per era.

But the AI will refuse to pay you that cash if your the civ an era behind.
(As a practical matter, you should usually refuse to pay premiums yourself with G&K, your averaging in fewer beakers on top of paying more cash than you would for a RA partner that was in the same era)

Top Bottom