Research Agreements

Airey

Prince
I tried searching the forum, didn't find anything...

Did anyone ever had RA giving them the tech they're currently researching?

I did, but I believe that was the only tech available for research at the moment (gunpowder or steel)...

It should because it would be to easy to exploit it otherwise. (I can confirm thyt you can get techs which you are currently researching)

Yes, once. The research that I already had into that tech was transfered to a different random tech that was also available.

Yes, I have gotten the very same tech I was researching. It has happened several times. I just make sure I have the cheapest techs researched. I learned that the hard way by bee lining a tech and left a real cheap tech unresearched and got it:mad:

What if you got 1-2 turns left on your 15 turns tech research, and RA was finished and gave you that tech? Wouldn't that make you mad?

This is a terrible game mechanic. Pay a pittance in gold and get a random free technology!

There's no strategy involved at all because the only downside to signing a RA is that the other Civ will also get a free tech, but that doesn't matter because the AI is just going to sign a RA with someone so it may as well be you.

Throw in the fact that RAs are better than 80% of the wonders in the game and well... IMO research agreements are the crown jewel of poor decisions by the civ5 team.

This is a terrible game mechanic. Pay a pittance in gold and get a random free technology!

There's no strategy involved at all because the only downside to signing a RA is that the other Civ will also get a free tech, but that doesn't matter because the AI is just going to sign a RA with someone so it may as well be you.

Throw in the fact that RAs are better than 80% of the wonders in the game and well... IMO research agreements are the crown jewel of poor decisions by the civ5 team.

The AI does not always sign an RA with another Civ. How in the world is an RA better then 80% of the wonders?? Wonders get you happiness, culture, GP points, GA extensions, military bonuses, and several other bonuses. Try an RA plus wonders and you will florish!

RAs aren't always the best choice either...if you're ignoring half the tree to beeline then the random tech can end up being something that you would have been better off researching yourself. There's also the opportunity cost of not using that gold for something else that has an immediate benefit instead of on something of unknown value that doesn't pay out for thirty turns.

The AI does not always sign an RA with another Civ. How in the world is an RA better then 80% of the wonders?? Wonders get you happiness, culture, GP points, GA extensions, military bonuses, and several other bonuses. Try an RA plus wonders and you will florish!
As long as there is another Civ with enough gold to enter an agreement the AI will sign one, they ignore pacts of secrecy etc.

RAs are better than most of the wonders because they are so cheap. There is no downside in entering a RA. There is no opportunity cost as there is with wonders, the gold is insignificant.

Free technologies also give you the bonuses you listed, just in a different way. Why wouldn't you do RAs and wonders? I don't get your point, they're not mutually exclusive.

RAs are pretty game breaking midgame, but the beginning of the game, when the game is really at it's most pivotal point, RAs are pretty awful compared to city states, buying a horsemen for defense, etc.

RA's should be added to the pregame options. This is my big gripe. I want my options!!!

Top Bottom