Research Button Missing?

BudFox1974

Chieftain
I have been playing an older version of RAND and recently uninstalled that and installed the latest version. One thing I noticed is that the research button seems to be missing - I cant adjust research, I am not making any gold and as I add cities and maintenance it does not appear to be costing anything. It shows up in the city maintenance screen and commerce advisor. I have the +/- wealth maintenance toggled on, have also tried it off. Is this some new feature that changes once you update your government or research a technology? I cant seem to figure it out. It seems like I have no maintenance being calculated. Is there an in game or setup setting that affects this that I am not familiar with?

Playing Fractal, Gigantic Map, Marathon, Normal Resources ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

That's very helpful - so even though I had 5 cities I wasn't suffering any maintenance costs that would reduce my balance until I got to writing or others. Is maintenance less than it was from a few years ago? I recall it being really limiting and that I'd go bankrupt with just anything more than 4 or 5 cities and then I'd lag in research unless I could found a religion that I could quickly monetize.

I play Monarch - does that have any affect on maintenance?

Code of Laws is actually the tech that unlocks the science slider. It's a mid-Ancient Era tech in AND. The way I designed it is that everything up to Code of Laws is a sort of "prologue" to where a game of unmodded BTS would begin. Until you unlock the science slider, you can't get gold from taxation but you can get gold from huts. Maintenance can trigger if you really build a lot of units or cities. Events that generally cost to gold to negate will not trigger until you have some gold in your treasury.

Monarch difficulty does affect maintenance. Distance and number of cities costs are 120% of Noble.

Thanks so much for the responses. I really like the approach, it makes a lot of sense and works well for the game setup I use.

Appreciate all you guys do for this game, been playing Civ for 25 years and Civ IV for over half of that.

Hello, same story as the guy above. However, I have an issue where even if I get code of laws, I do not get the tech/commerce slider. The cultural slider is unlocked at some point. I think it is a bug preventing me from getting the tech slider. Is there a way to debug this or disable the feature that removes the science/commerce buttons?

Thanks,

Hello, same story as the guy above. However, I have an issue where even if I get code of laws, I do not get the tech/commerce slider. The cultural slider is unlocked at some point. I think it is a bug preventing me from getting the tech slider. Is there a way to debug this or disable the feature that removes the science/commerce buttons?

Thanks,
You can change this in code of laws techinfos in xml
<CommerceFlexible>
<bFlexible>0</bFlexible>
<bFlexible>1</bFlexible>
</CommerceFlexible>

The other option is to delete the Civ4CommerceInfos.xml file from your mod folder. This will force the game to load the default Civ4CommerceInfos file which has the science and espionage sliders unlocked from the beginning.

Hey thanks! Either fix seems to work. I guess those lines were just missing for some reason.

For future records in case anyone else has this issue:

Go to this filepath

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\XML\Technologies

Edit the file CIV4TechInfos.xml with something like notepad++
Go to <Type>TECH_CODE_OF_LAWS</Type>
At the first instance of <CommerceFlexible> in the now located code of laws section, replace with
<CommerceFlexible>
<bFlexible>0</bFlexible>
<bFlexible>1</bFlexible>
</CommerceFlexible>

Reload.

Thanks

The other option is to delete the Civ4CommerceInfos.xml file from your mod folder. This will force the game to load the default Civ4CommerceInfos file which has the science and espionage sliders unlocked from the beginning.

Yes that will do it also, but it leaves false information in tech tree and pedia.

Top Bottom