Resource and hostility trouble

I have two problems when I play and I was wondering if anyone knew if this is just "natural" or a programming problem with Civ 3 gold edition:

1. Resource spawn. I have read up on resource spawning and rarity... However, whenever I have played I have yet to see a game where there is any resources near me... They say they are rare but it is RIDICULOUS when I play, sometimes it only spawns 1 iron for the whole world or 1 saltpeter, horse, etc. I make a larger world and resource rarity gets even WORSE. Then when it does spawn... it clumps it together most of the time on the other side of the world.

2. AI hostility, I know I can just set AI to less aggressive... However it never works. I set it to be "lay down your arms" and it become hitler, stalin and mao wrapped into one. I have yet to be able to get past the stone age without having world war break loose almost immediately on contact. Whenever I meet the AI I check to see its "disposition" and it goes almost straight from "polite" to "hated" or whatever the word is in less than 20 turns and they are nowhere near me. I try to trade with the AI to get better disposition but it always wants my soul for something I do not need.

The above two problems happen EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I. PLAY. WITHOUT. QUESTION.

I also play on chieftain difficulty and this are just as bad no matter WHAT I do.

I am hope there is a way to fix this, if not I am taking the CD and all the other junk that came with it to the shooting range with me next time I go.

I hope SOMEONE can help,
Vekar

1. In my current emperor game, I'm Iroquois and I didn't have Iron and I'm surrounded with Germans, Japan, Chinese, and Aztecs, four MILITARISTIC and AGGRESIVE civizilations. In sometime between researching Education and Chivalry, an Iron spawned next to Onnontare, my city :D

2. Never, EVER leave your cities undefended, and have a strong military, and try to be nice to everyone. Don't break up agreements you made(like right of passage, or alliance against someone). MAYBE they'll leave you alone. In my emperor game I mentioned previously, Aztecs picked Germany to attack, and Japan picked me. Needless to say Japanese people started learning Iroquois to communicate.

cheers.

2. Never, EVER leave your cities undefended...
It's okay to leave cities 20 tiles into your territory undefended. This area can be much smaller and can shrink even further when you get RRs and have those infinite movement tanks sitting around :). Of course, don't leave border cities undefended, that's just stupid.

It's okay to leave cities 20 tiles into your territory undefended. This area can be much smaller and can shrink even further when you get RRs and have those infinite movement tanks sitting around :). Of course, don't leave border cities undefended, that's just stupid.

Thats what I meant actually. Though I like giving RoP a lot, so I have to keep defenders in every city...

I draw the line of absolute insanity when there is 1 iron source on a large world of 8 civs, 1 salt peter, 1 horse, 1 oil and 1 rubber and if I am lucky they are on my continent.

As I said I fixed the above so I can to some degree play without getting wiped out by the civ who had 100% of the worlds resources spawn in their borders.

I draw the line of absolute insanity when there is 1 iron source on a large world of 8 civs, 1 salt peter, 1 horse, 1 oil and 1 rubber and if I am lucky they are on my continent.

As I said I fixed the above so I can to some degree play without getting wiped out by the civ who had 100% of the worlds resources spawn in their borders.

How about getting a RoP with them, sending a huge army to the resource you want(take, rubber) with a settler and build a city on the said resource and engage in war? If you can somehow make peace, the resource is yours.

The city might flip instentenously though...

Or, try to win the game by other means.

Or, ctrl+shift+q :D

It might not be so bad if you are the Civ with 100% of the worlds resources . . . :D

I never seen a std map with one source of Iron and larger one either. I have seen Rubber and Oil be thin, but that means about 3. I cannot speak to smaller map sizes.

It was when I played a standard map and had one Iron resource on the whole world that I started modding my game. It was just tooooooo stupid to have such a thing happen. There is no reason why the programming cannot be better than that. Minimum resource allocation for any situation should be at least 3 (for a tiny map). Dumb, dumb, dumb. It doesn't take a brain trust to know that is not good gaming.

It was when I played a standard map and had one Iron resource on the whole world that I started modding my game. It was just tooooooo stupid to have such a thing happen. There is no reason why the programming cannot be better than that. Minimum resource allocation for any situation should be at least 3 (for a tiny map). Dumb, dumb, dumb. It doesn't take a brain trust to know that is not good gaming.

India anyone? :lol:

I am taking the Civ 3 box, its contents and the CD to the shooting range for skeet practice. Resources are now heaped up in one tiny spot rather than spread out, nothing I change helps that fact. I either get 1 for the entire world or 6 in one spot on the other side of the planet.

I am also sick of the garbage programming, the only way I can survive is to have a horrifically sized army and be in horrible debt... Then still get threatened and wind up in a war after 40 turns or so... OR I have to bend over as hard as I can so the world can shove its collective dick up my ass all at the same time and they still go to war with me. I do not care for that kind of horsehockey programming. I played civ3 many, many years ago and this was a replacement CD... I have no idea what they did with patching but this game is horrible compared to what I remember.

Civ 3 is about to join a whole bunch of broken glass at the range, it is a horrible game.

No need to swear or resort to violence. A simple "I don't like this game" would suffice. WE like the game, even if you don't.

I am taking the Civ 3 box, its contents and the CD to the shooting range for skeet practice. Resources are now heaped up in one tiny spot rather than spread out, nothing I change helps that fact. I either get 1 for the entire world or 6 in one spot on the other side of the planet.

I am also sick of the garbage programming, the only way I can survive is to have a horrifically sized army and be in horrible debt... Then still get threatened and wind up in a war after 40 turns or so... OR I have to bend over as hard as I can so the world can shove its collective dick up my ass all at the same time and they still go to war with me. I do not care for that kind of horsehockey programming. I played civ3 many, many years ago and this was a replacement CD... I have no idea what they did with patching but this game is horrible compared to what I remember.

Civ 3 is about to join a whole bunch of broken glass at the range, it is a horrible game.

You're certainly doing something wrong. Give more information about a game you experienced, like what are the properties of the map, difficulty, even post the pic of the map, better if you post a savegame(with latest patch, of course), and we'll try to make some sense from your game. If you are playing the game in a higher difficulty than Regent, you'll most likely be attacked. I'm playing at Emperor and even though I was preparing to attack, I was attacked, twice. After conquering them both, I finally declared war to someone on my own.

It's you money, your game. I would have to see your save, but I would bet you are not correct about the resources. I had a couple of saves on hand and looked at them. Not a single strategic resources had less than 9 and that was Uranium on a std map. Iron had 14.

Even on a 60x60 only Oil was a single source and that is a pretty small map.

As to play I do not know what level you are playing, but it is very hard to not win at Regent or less. Monarch requires a bit a skill and Emperor some knowledge of the game. After that it gets harder and starts are going to be important.

You will need to be well versed in the game at DG or better, no doubt. What is fun and what is annoying is individual and not for me to comment upon. Complex games of strategy are alwys full of programming glitches.

I think It got a GoTY award, so a lot of people found it to be enjoyable.

I think It got a GoTY award, so a lot of people found it to be enjoyable.
Yes, several according to wikipedia.

RE: RR requiring Iron: a reasonable guess (IMO) would be that when Rails started becoming common historically iron and/or steel wasn't in easy supply (I have no idea on the reality), while by the time tanks et al came into play, nearly every country had relatively stable supplies of iron/steel and could make more.

Rails date to roughly 1830; iron was common enough then, though not massively so. Steel, however, was a semiprecious metal until about 1855 when the Bessemer process broke the bottleneck; within 20 years steel was as cheap as dirt. You are more or less correct about tanks; the lack of factory capacity & ancillaries was more a bottleneck than lack of steel--although some hitech processes & superior metal ores made effective armor rare for some countries. Tanks with mild steel couldn't cut it back then, little better than metal coffins.

kk

Top Bottom