Restart guilt. You ever do this?

Do you ever guilt-restart after an awesome restart?

• I never restart. Really! Promise!

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Of course I never do this. What is wrong with you?

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Very rarely.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Sometimes. What is wrong with us?

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i dont restart i tend to quit out of chieftain level games because i fall behind so quickly. i am going to use a mod now to help prevent me getting so annoyed i quit because its no fun, so hopefully i can learn something of how to play chieftain. i get very annoyed when the AI keep getting wonders 1 turn before mine is done, and always get religions founded etc when i cant generate faith at all barely to get a pantheon. not to mention that tech is suffering yet somehow those AI civs are spamming cities all over. makes me think chieftain is too big a step from settler...

I rarely restart. The last time I restarted I was completely surrounded by mountains and by completely I mean completely. I could not get out and no one could get in. It was sort of funny spamming DOW's and watching the AI fail, but, the novelty of it all wore off and I restarted.

I rarely restart. The last time I restarted I was completely surrounded by mountains and by completely I mean completely. I could not get out and no one could get in. It was sort of funny spamming DOW's and watching the AI fail, but, the novelty of it all wore off and I restarted.

Actually if you're patient enough.. bunker down until you unlock Paratrooper then you can start invading enemy cities and you will finally be out of the mountain range lol.

Or the AI somehow wises up and invades you with paratroopers.

I never feel guilt about anything I do in a single person game. What is wrong with you? :)

I quite agree, this poll has been set by a guy wearing blinkers, he obviously has an opinion that anyone who restarts has got a screw loose. There are lots of reasons to restart not least of which would be the competitive nature of a lot of people. For instance, it would be impossible to beat your own previous best finish from a jungle start the second time around having had the perfect start the first time around!

I quite agree, this poll has been set by a guy wearing blinkers, he obviously has an opinion that anyone who restarts has got a screw loose. There are lots of reasons to restart not least of which would be the competitive nature of a lot of people. For instance, it would be impossible to beat your own previous best finish from a jungle start the second time around having had the perfect start the first time around!

Actually, this poll was set by a guy that thought the respondents could exhibit a high-school level of reading comprehension. I think I was wrong about 80% of you :eek:.

My question is not about whether or not to restart after a bad beginning. My question was -- as I tried and apparently failed to clarify -- whether anyone purposely restarted after a GREAT start (i.e., that salt and wheat spot I spoke of in the OP) to cancel out any weird stupid guilt one might have after restarting after a bad beginning.

I think I may have to spell this out for some of you:

1) You start. Fail.
2) You restart. The terrain is awesome!
3) You restart AGAIN, before playing at all, because getting a really easy start after failing, well, That's Just Not Right.

The poll question was whether people do #3, not about #2.

The "Restart Guilt" here is not about whether you feel guilt from restarting. It's whether you ever restart (a great position) out of guilt.

The "Restart Guilt" here is not about whether you feel guilt from restarting. It's whether you ever restart (a great position) out of guilt.

Thanks for the clarity and sorry I misunderstood the meaning of your poll, the answer is still no, I wouldn't feel any guilt and why should I? The fact that you want to play a game from a similar start location difficulty is entirely down to you and the fact that you don't reload the same map with the prior knowledge you have gained is admirable.

What ever sort of criteria you want to put to your survey, from my own perspective if something goes horribly wrong in one of my games then I will restart on a fresh map. NO GUILT.

Personally, I interpreted it as a general question, possibly because one walks into a pole expecting general questions. I thought your reasons given just examples of the reasons one could have. Delivered as flavour, to demonstrate potential thought processes whilst cycling through start after start.
I thought your guilt was derived from this process. Denying yourself the actual game for your neurotic need to restart game after game for... whatever reason, specifically non-specific reasons, in fact; rather than your very specific reason, specifically.

I think it's very grumpy indeed to accuse people of being uneducated for misunderstanding you, especially when it's a majority.
If everyone responded as though you were vague... perhaps you were vague?

Spoiler :

Even if you weren't objectively vague, you were, apparently, effectively vague. This is something we must all now live with.

no guilt here. salt is awesome.

i found a little bird in my room the other day. So I throw it out of the window to see if it flies. nope. a bigger bird just took it. there was some guilt there.

Personally, I interpreted it as a general question, possibly because one walks into a pole expecting general questions ...
Spoiler :

Even if you weren't objectively vague, you were, apparently, effectively vague. This is something we must all now live with.

First of all, stop walking into poles expecting anything except head injury.

Second of all, yeah, initial post was pretty vague. Clarification post soon thereafter was pretty plain, though!

I have limited time. I restart until I get something I deem interesting, not necessarily broken good, but fun for me.

I have weaned myself off loading in the actual game unless I lose a wonder by 1-2 turns. I used to reload 25-30 times per game session, resulting in playing 6 hours and advancing only 120 or so turns. It sucks. But I've also gotten better at gauging which wonders I can get at Deity with certain starts and BOs.

If I can't get things like Colossus for Venice, Petra in a desert start, or a few of the key cultural WWs as France I will restart or reroll however.

Top Bottom