Restart guilt. You ever do this?

Do you ever guilt-restart after an awesome restart?

• I never restart. Really! Promise!

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Of course I never do this. What is wrong with you?

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Very rarely.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Sometimes. What is wrong with us?

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, you're playing a pretty tough difficulty, and you make a move that fails (early worker steal attempt results in dead warrior and losing the worker, you lose out on an early wonder, whatever) and, knowing that you're probably doomed, you restart.

The restart puts you in the middle of three salt and two grain. So you click restart again, because ... I mean, you know.

Anyway. Yeah? No?

Depends on what you call "good". By "good" sometimes I mean bad. Restarts are how I tweak the difficulty. If I'm going Deity, I'm picking a map that brings out the best in a particular civ, and I'm restarting for a good one. If I'm trying out a new civ, I will go lower difficulty but restart it to up the difficulty a little.

Never ever restart. I play on Prince, even tundra start...lol Less guilt than playing Emperor with relaoding 5 times for a good start and 10 times during the game.

I do restart if I'm surrounded by tons of hills and mountains. I just don't find them fun to play. Pure-Jungle starts are the same, it just feels sooooooo slow and boring. Other than that I usually don't restart.

I'll restart rarely, only a very bad start will cause me to do it, and I mean really bad, otherwise I'll just go with what I've been given

It's a game, so I'm playing it for my own gratification. If you feel guilty, it's not very gratifying, but there's hardly any reason to feel guilty.

I'm not sure you guys are getting my point -- it's, if you restart after a bad start, and the new restart is super awesome, do you ever restart again, figuring that it kind of cancels out the first restart?

I'm not sure you guys are getting my point -- it's, if you restart after a bad start, and the new restart is super awesome, do you ever restart again, figuring that it kind of cancels out the first restart?

No, not for that reason. But I do drop out of some games if I think the terrain is too good or makes my game plan too easy.

Pretty much I think up a scenario that I want to do, and I roll until I get some dirt that looks right. Example, I want to play OCC Attila and I want a few AH resources in the cap.

I restart a lot. Most of the time being if I start in the middle of a jungle or tundra, but sometimes also if I just don't like the aesthetic quality of my start, or if I feel the terrain doesn't accurately portray the environment that my civ IRL would have dealt with.

Also, a lot of times before I start a war I'll save or make a back-up file or something, so if it goes poorly I can undo time.

And no regrets at all. :coffee:
(So I voted "Of course I never do this. What is wrong with you?", as in, "of course I never guilt-restart, since I see nothing wrong with it. What's wrong with you people with all your gaming ethics and whatnot?")

No, not for that reason. But I do drop out of some games if I think the terrain is too good or makes my game plan too easy.

Pretty much I think up a scenario that I want to do, and I roll until I get some dirt that looks right. Example, I want to play OCC Attila and I want a few AH resources in the cap.

Likewise. I have played enough Civilization over the last 23 years that I know I can win a game if I want to. At this point though I setup a game to play a certain way. I pick the civ and will reroll a start if it looks like it won't be fun.

Just my personality though I generally never load a game after I have started it. Sometimes I quit but even then it is because I know I won or can win but just don't want to play it out.

Madjinn is one player who plays out games I would have said no to a long time ago because the hours it takes just to beat through the unit spam isn't worth it to me. I respect his dedication though.

If I have an awesome start and get beaten to the great library by one turn.. because I misclicked at least once. I will be restarting but not before I beat the AIs to every other Classical/ancient and medieval wonders in revenge.

And if my land looks like a blob with nothing that looks interesting to me I will restart.

I'm not sure if your counting "I just saw the starting map and only moved my warrior and didn't like the starting terrain and generated a new map" or not.

I never restart! Except when I get stuck in a Jungle. As Arabia.

Who am I fooling? I restart a lot...

I restart a lot. Most of the time being if I start in the middle of a jungle or tundra, but sometimes also if I just don't like the aesthetic quality of my start, or if I feel the terrain doesn't accurately portray the environment that my civ IRL would have dealt with.

So nice to see someone shares my idea of a fun play. That it's not only about 100% efficiency and winning at all costs, but to enjoy a part of 'alternative history' and the feeling you're actually at the helm of a people, with their own identity.

As for guilt of restarting and reloading, though, I do feel very guilty (because it makes me feel I'm no good at this) so if I could scrap that thought, I'd be happier.

I restart on turn 1 if I don't get at least 1 food tile and 2 hammer tiles, and also always when I get beaten to a wonder by 1 turn within the first 100 turns. So I do it a lot...

I never feel guilt about anything I do in a single person game. What is wrong with you? :)

Restart and Autosave are my major road-blocks to improving my gameplay especially playing on Immortal or Deity.

I rarely take a "bad start" or learn from playing through my mistakes if it a game on higher difficulty.

I restart all the time. Some starts are just boring, and lead to boring games. Usually I'll play enough turns to scout the nearby area. If something grabs me about the situation, usually by offering a unique challenge, or by offering a specific goal, I'll keep playing. If the nearby area strikes me as bland or uninspiring, with nothing to grab my imagination or sense of competition, usually I'll restart.

Though I do have an unusual tendency to prefer aesthetically pleasing geographical areas. I get pretty depressed playing on an empty open plain with little in the way of detail. I need fancy mountain ranges, complex coastlines, coves, valleys, anything I can imagine as being pretty :)
Otherwise, I'll often lose interest somewhere down the line, my spirit drained, with no sense of national pride required to feel like anything is worth accomplishing :sad:

Games last a really long time. I don't know why you'd want to commit to one which isn't going to be very interesting.

I don't feel guilty nuking an opponent that I have reduced to one city, and by nuking I mean several times a turn for several turns... Why would I feel guilty restarting? Having said that, I rarely restart, and if I do, it's on a random start anyways.

I restart all the time. Some starts are just boring, and lead to boring games. Usually I'll play enough turns to scout the nearby area. If something grabs me about the situation, usually by offering a unique challenge, or by offering a specific goal, I'll keep playing. If the nearby area strikes me as bland or uninspiring, with nothing to grab my imagination or sense of competition, usually I'll restart.

Though I do have an unusual tendency to prefer aesthetically pleasing geographical areas. I get pretty depressed playing on an empty open plain with little in the way of detail. I need fancy mountain ranges, complex coastlines, coves, valleys, anything I can imagine as being pretty :)
Otherwise, I'll often lose interest somewhere down the line, my spirit drained, with no sense of national pride required to feel like anything is worth accomplishing :sad:

Games last a really long time. I don't know why you'd want to commit to one which isn't going to be very interesting.

Totally agree. I don't want to waste time playing a game that I don't think will be fun.

Top Bottom