Retraction of Criticism - Civ V is great.

patrickkrebs

Warlord
I played last night on Prince and was decently challenged. After getting the hang of things I still am sweeping through the world map like butter, and for the second time I have to say... I hate Siam.

That being said I love the game but I have a small gripe list now.
I do hate the world turning on me for seemingly no reason, so I'd like to see how other leaders like me with a metric, vs how they feel about each other.
Another missing feature is telling me what bonus I get from terrain types when I mouse over them... Hills vs Forests? I always forget and it's a little thing thats ridiculously frustrating.

Otherwise I like the game way more than I did before. Deciding to Trounce the English was a gamble and I really felt like i had one something when I finally stormed London.

Another missing feature is telling me what bonus I get from terrain types when I mouse over them... Hills vs Forests? I always forget and it's a little thing thats ridiculously frustrating.

This feature is actually there, however it is slow and doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. Usually you have to hover the cursor over a tile for about two seconds before the tile info pops up.

Yep it's there, it just takes a few seconds longer than you expect it to take.

You can actually get that tile data (and quite a bit more) quicker under interface options. I don't remember what the option is, but there's a slider that will make that data appear instantly.

You can actually get that tile data (and quite a bit more) quicker under interface options. I don't remember what the option is, but there's a slider that will make that data appear instantly.

It's easy to find, it's the only slider in the interface tab I think. But setting it to zero will cause the popup to follow your cursor, I find it gets in the way more than it helps. I have no idea why the extra info couldn't be in the *other* popup about the terrain under your cursor that always appears in the bottom right corner.

I am having trouble with Siam in my game as well. I was doing decently well on my continent (huge map, marathon speed), but I kept getting disturbing messages from overseas... a player has entered the medieval, a person has lost their capital, a person is destroyed, etc etc.

FINALLY I get Navigation, purchase 2 Caravels, and sail over, and the continent is HUGE and 2 civs have control over the entire thing... Egypt and Siam. Egypt is now on the brink of destruction and has had it's capital taken, so Siam owns almost the entire continent, and is something like triple my score and double the next highest score on the board...
I think he may be going for a domination victory in which we will get to see how the AI handles overseas invasions, but it is always possible they could win a science victory... Before this, i was criticizing the AI for being too easy, but as I move into the renaissance, I am seeing a lot more intelligent behavior in them...

Based on all the media I've always (2 games) focused on taking out the Germans and French Early... but its Siam that does all the expanding. He's a sneaky little, lisp talking, megalomanic. In the round I'm playing now I tried wiping him out, got him down to three cities made piece and I'm waiting for the treaty to expire. It expired and I still can't attack him for some reason. I got tired of waiting and wiped out the greeks and 2 city states waiting. Something is wrong, my diplomacy overview shows the peace treaty ended 15 years ago. But he still gives me open borders and I can't declare war its greyed out.

This feature is actually there, however it is slow and doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. Usually you have to hover the cursor over a tile for about two seconds before the tile info pops up.

there's a slider in interface options for how long it takes to pop up.

It's easy to find, it's the only slider in the interface tab I think. But setting it to zero will cause the popup to follow your cursor, I find it gets in the way more than it helps. I have no idea why the extra info couldn't be in the *other* popup about the terrain under your cursor that always appears in the bottom right corner.
I set it to zero, and it doesn't get in my way at all (if it's covering something I want to see, I move the mouse). And I like that the pop up is right next to the cursor, so I'm already looking at it.

Before this, i was criticizing the AI for being too easy, but as I move into the renaissance, I am seeing a lot more intelligent behavior in them...

That's heartening, because my first and only game so far (on Prince) the AI was just terribad. I kind of suck and this was no challenge whatsoever. I wasn't expecting just AI carnage on "Normal" difficulty.

Top Bottom