RFC Classical World ++

Some wild ideas
  • remove theodosian walls from game and see what happens
  • remove the required tech from the game and see what happens
  • include theodosian wall to the game and see if it being build (there might be a duplicate building)
  • rename the label of the theodosian walls and see what happens
Anyway it seems like a broken trigger that forces theodosian wall the be built somewhere. It might be old Byzantine UP that is triggered when Constantinople is built, so check that tilenumber out if there are any references to it. If you remove theodosian wall from the game maybe something else will be built? Renaming the label might also fix it if there is a broken trigger referring it.

I found the bug that was causing the Theodosian Walls.

The bonuses of wonders like the Pyramids and the Colossus are not flat, but are implemented as functions from srpt. These function checks were causing the bug.

I removed these functions from checking and I will set flat bonuses to such wonders.

I also fixed the Pandyan start mess.

I will now check with the wonders check for Qin and Ptolemy don't check, and I will upload a new version when I solve it.

Last edited:
Update!

I actually managed to solve the bug with the Theodosian Walls.

It was the pyramids effect (+1 happiness in Egypt) that was checked every time a new city in Egypt was found. I tracked down srpt's logic and managed to solve it.

Pyramids and Colossus effects stay the same, +1 happiness in every city in Egypt and +1 trade route in Mediterranean ports respectively.

You are going to love this bug: as a Rome after conquering Babylon in every Mediterranean island spawned a Buddhist wonder. Every time when I found a new city in Mediterranean island the same wonder will be spawned.

I think the Colossus is bugged and some labels are misplaced. For example there is a lot of declarations of war against itself and making peace "Parthia downed/made peace with Parthia".

This is not the current iteration but previous. Anyway thanks for your effort to this rather obscure modmodmod.

Attachments

• Augustus BC-0024.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • Augustus BC-0024V2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
I think it is related with the colossus, yes. When I disabled the Theodosian Walls, the wonder that was built on Egypt was the Borobudur, which is the one after the Theodosian Walls in the list.

I will try your save and let you know, but I think it should be fixed now!

Yes, I know that bug with war / piece :s I haven't found it yet, but I may have to look in the dll for this.

I tried a Bactrian game.

Xiongnu are super bugged, they spam horseman units and they end up being a super power in China and Central Asia. I will nerf them severely.
I didn't like the Bactrian's 3rd UHV, maybe I will change it in a future version.
The Romans are always hesitating to invade Gaul, maybe they need a scripted war.
Ptolemys are always conquered by Nubia, they need to be buffed somehow.

I will also start working on the maps of the other 3 scenarios.

It’s complicated, because the Xiongnu should be strong enough to defeat the Han handily and establish a massive empire. On the other hand, they shouldn’t be going too far into Central Asia as that isn’t historical.

As for Bactria UHV3, could I suggest a cultural goal? Their patronage of Greco-Buddhism was very significant in the cultural sphere.

The point is, they conquer the Han way too soon.

Using a spy, I saw that in one of their cities, the Xiongnu had stationed more than 100 (!!!!!!!) horseman units. I just don't get how they can sustain such an army. I think that if they behaved like other civilizations, having a max amount of units that they can build and actually paying for their maintenance, it would greatly balance the game.

I am open to suggestions, of course! A cultural or trade/gold goal might be better than the 3 settled great people, yes.

Huh, you know, a general rework of the Xiongnu into a not just balanced but even playable civ could be worthwhile in the long run. I’m not sure if they’d need a new set of civics to represent them properly, but considering how common nomadic hordes were in this time making them playable and giving them a unique play style in some way (which could be applied to most of the in-game hordes) could be cool.

For now, at least, it does sound like balancing them would be a good idea.

As for Bactria, the thing I don’t like about the current UHV3 is that it’s difficult to guarantee the GPP and the religious spread in time while accounting for fighting barbarians and enemy spawns. Of course, I haven’t gotten to play recently and the Saka rework may make this more feasible.

That's my ultimate goal, adding civs. And of course nomads are some of the civs that I would like to add.

But it is not that simple to add a civ, it requires modifying many c++ and python files. So, I will start working civs once everything is fixed and balanced!

That's something that I will work really soon yes! I already have introduced the slave market building, which produces an extra unhappy citizen if you use it with the slavery civic.

More civics tuning will come for sure :D

I really hope you can come up with a proper unique nomad/steppe horde civic to represent the Gokturks and such (especially if you start adding playable others). Not that it's surprising given that Civ is based heavily around cities, but no (RFC) mod that I've seen has ever come close to doing any of them true justice.

Also I didn't see, have you looked at the Tamil spawn bug yet?

I really hope you can come up with a proper unique nomad/steppe horde civic to represent the Gokturks and such (especially if you start adding playable others). Not that it's surprising given that Civ is based heavily around cities, but no (RFC) mod that I've seen has ever come close to doing any of them true justice.

Also I didn't see, have you looked at the Tamil spawn bug yet?

The Gokturks are already in the game :p

Ideally, I would like the nomads to work as in Attila: Total War, but I am not sure if this is possible in Civ4. I will investigate it though. But yeah, it would be cool if all nomadic civs behaved the same; from Scythians to Khazars.

Yep, I solved the Tamil issue a few revisions ago! You can download the latest revision from the link in page 1!

Hey, great to see this mod-mod being updated and revised again! I just downloaded and played it a little, and what you've done is already a great improvement. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you do.

One quick note on this topic, and the only thing I noticed while playing my first game (which was, as you may deduce, as Egypt):

Egyptians cannot currently complete their UHV- the tech that enables the Great Library should be moved so that they can build it at start.

I have managed to build the Great Library with both the Ptolemies and the Antigonids; use your slaves to hurry production. Always settle one or two slaves in cities, and then use them to hurry important buildings and wonders.

If you build an obelisk in Diospolis (sp?) first thing then the bonus GP points for Egypt will get you a GE which can rush the Great Library even on hard difficulty. Just focus your research and make good use of the slaves you'll get from all the desert rushes.

It's nice to have barbs nerfed earlier in the game, but it does complicate the Egyptian UHV strategy to not have slaves available. Is the barb-nerfing going to be permanent or is it only temporary?

Hey, great to see this mod-mod being updated and revised again! I just downloaded and played it a little, and what you've done is already a great improvement. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you do.

One quick note on this topic, and the only thing I noticed while playing my first game (which was, as you may deduce, as Egypt):

It's nice to have barbs nerfed earlier in the game, but it does complicate the Egyptian UHV strategy to not have slaves available. Is the barb-nerfing going to be permanent or is it only temporary?

Hello, thanks for trying the mod!

The barbarian nerf is on the entire map, I didn't like that some vast areas of the map were black after some point. To compensate the loss of lots of slaves, I have added 3 buildings that enhance productivity.

I haven't tried Egypt yet, I will do so shortly. Maybe the date goal is too strict, we ll see!

Top Bottom