[RFC DoC] Rhye's of the Phoenicians

So there may not be any more updates for a while, because my internet is dying on me. I'll get back to this as soon as I can :goodjob:

Triple Post because I'm so totally cool.
Part 24: The First Anglo-Phoenician War

Spoiler :
To this day, historians are still baffled by the British Empire's DoW shortly after its first contact with the Phoenicians in the early ninth century AD.

Part 25: The Tsardom of Russia

Spoiler :
To the delight of the residents in the North-Western part of the Phoenician Republic, the Barbarian city to the north was captured by yet another rising civilization in the year 868 AD, and trading began between the two empires shortly after.

Part 26: The Siege of Ineb Hejd

Spoiler :
Having finally achieved stability by the tenth century, the Phoenicians looked to expand their borders even more. In the year 900 AD, Phoenician troops landed on the shores of what had once been the Kingdom of Egypt, where they were met by a Roman siege platoon. Having received wind of the German DoW on his empire, the Roman general agreed to withdraw under the condition that the Phoenicians finish the work the Romans had started. As Roman troops prepared to set sail for Pompei, a Phoenician trebuchet squad began to shell the already-weakened city.

Spoiler :
With no Phoenician casualties, the few dozen Phoenician troops easily overwhelmed the city's archer squad, and captured the city within hours of the initial bombardment.

Short I know. More tomorrow.

If you didn't raze it to settle Alexandria 1 NW, I'm going to have to kill you for too much incompetence.
Actually, I was going to keep it, but I razed it by accident :hammer2:
Also, update:

Part 27: The Assault on Niwi-Rst

Spoiler :
After careful debate, the council opted to disband the city of Ineb Hejd and move the entire population to the coast to bring it more within the sphere of Phoenician influence. However, the areas surrounding Ineb Hejd were immediately claimed by the neighboring Kingdom of Niwi-Rst, the remnants of the Egyptian Empire's once grand capital. It soon became clear that in order to establish a settlement on the south side of the Mediterranean, the Phoenicians would first have to eliminate Niwi-Rst altogether.

Spoiler :
Well aware that Niwi-Rst would likely put up more of a fight than their neighbors to the north, Phoenician generals applied to the Master's Council for aid. Several generals petitioned the Council to declare a sort of martial law in a few of the Phoenician Republic's highest-production cities, which the Council labeled "Selective Military Industrialism". In the end, the cities of Utica, Athenai, and Thapsus were selected to run the program, and infrastructure production halted as the cities began to churn out numerous siege battalions, which Phoenician biremes ferried across the Mediterranean to what used to be Egypt. By the time the six months of the program had run out, the Phoenician attacking force had nearly tripled in size.

Spoiler :
All forces were sent to the outskirts of Niwi-Rst. There they divided into two battalions: the main attacking battalion, which assaulted the city from the north, and the siege battalion, which, guarded by pikemen, shelled the city from across the Nile.

Spoiler :
It wasnt long before the city finally gave way under the massive artillery strike, and generals from the Phoenician army marched into the occupied city two days after the strike had commenced. There they negotiated a settlement with the city's government:
"The Kingdom of Niwi-Rst hereby acknowledges complete surrender to Phoenician troops, and abandons all territorial claims to land beyond the Nile."​
With that, the city faded into obscurity, and the Phoenician military left Niwi-Rst a shell of what it had once been.

Part 28: Kerkouane

Spoiler :
As soon as word of Niwi-Rst's destruction spread back to the Phoenician capital, a settling party was organized and sent to colonize the now abandoned northern coast of Africa. They established the colony of Kerkouane on the cost, northwest of the ruins of Ineb Hejd. As refugees from Ineb Hejd poured into the city, a governor from Kerkouane was added to the Phoenician Master's Council, and the city became a full part of the Phoencian Republic in 1018 AD.

Part 29: The Battle of Per-Atum

Spoiler :
A few years later, a rogue siege battalion, led by General Custard, invaded the nearby city state of Per-Atum, which was captured with the loss of only one trebuchet. WHY WON'T IT LET ME RAZE IT FFFFFFFFUUUUUU-

Part 30: The Protectorate of Portugal

Spoiler :
Records indicate that the Portugese rebels made contact with Phoenician traders in the early 12th century. The Phoenicians managed to establish a truce between Portugal and their much larger enemy Spain, and the king of Portugal was so grateful he allowed Portugal to retain its status as a protectorate, despite it being recognized by the Phoenicians as no longer belonging to the Spanish Empire.

Part 31: The Makkah Years

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
This time period also reflected an explosion of culture from Makkah. The city's unique combination of Arab and Phoenician cultures gave itself a very different feel than any other city in the Phoenician Republic, and Makkah became a center for art and learning in the first half of the 13th century.

Part 32: The Byzantion Conference

Spoiler :
After nearly a century of peace, the Phoenician military, which now consisted of numerous riflemen and cannon brigades, was called to Byzantion to discuss how to best restructure the military in peacetime. Generals from all corners of the Republic convened in the Council chambers to decide what to do with the Phoenician Republic's large standing army, which now consisted of nearly 100,000 troops. To mark the occasion, the Phoenician capital was moved to Byzantion in the year 1270 AD. The Phoenician Republic had never been more powerful, nor more stable. But just as it looked like things were finally going well, disaster struck.

Part 33: The Anatolian Secession of 1279

Spoiler :
The Anatolian Secessionist Movement was, as far as the Phoenician government could tell, a small minority that posed no threat to the establishment. However, with the government leadership and the national capital both absent from Anatolia for the first time in years, the rebel faction, which was historically the most powerful in Utica, Sur, and Thapsus, decided it was a perfect time to strike against the relatively weakened Phoenician leadership. Simultaneously, rebels seized the government offices in the three cities and demanded that the Phoenician government let them secede and form their own empire. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNH

"How will this turn out? ...Oh time, thou must untangle this, not I! It is too hard a knot for me to untie!" [aka stay tuned].

Part 34: The Turkish-Phoenician War

Spoiler :
The Byzantion conference was in chaos. The meager military forces stationed in Thapsus, Sur, and Utica were no match for the relatively numerous Anatolian rebels. To the Master's council, it seemed like there was no action the military could possibly take to force the rebels out of the cities before they broke off and established a new empire.
Fortunately for the Phoenician leadership, however, although the military was completely incapable of preventing catastrophe, the people sure as s:bts: weren't. Within two days of the takeover of the government centers in Thapsus and Utica, tens of thousands of loyal Phoenicians stormed the buildings. Similar loyalist rebellions occurred in Sur a few days later. Although they were better-armed, the secessionists were overwhelmed by the sheer force of numbers, and just as suddenly as it had begun, the crisis was over.

Spoiler :
Most of the rebels were hung by Phoenician residents for treason before the military even arrived. The rebels who were lucky enough to escape fled north to the remote Russian trading outpost of Krasnodar, where they ousted the local government in a similar fashion to the rebellions in the Phoenician Republic. The citizens of the outpost had significantly fewer nationalist ties to the relatively new Russian Tsardom, and were less eager to oust the rebels, who cracked down on any resistance. The rebels named their new country "Turkey".

Spoiler :
However, Turkey's capital was severely weak and poorly defended. After the takeover of the outpost, Russian troops cut off all access to the city, and trapped most of the Anatolian Resistance Force (ARF) outside of the city. This required the Turks to hire numerous illegal mercenaries for protection. Although powerful, they were few in number, and the Phoenician generals knew this. Eager to exact revenge in accordance with the third pillar of the Phoenician Constitution [RAEP :goodjob:], the Council sprang into action. After securing a rite of passage from Russia, they sent no fewer than 30,000 troops, commanded by two generals, up around the Black Sea to hit the weak Turkish capital from the west. The plan was simple: General Snacks's siege would commence from the northwest, over the river, while General Poole's rifle squads would attack the city directly.

Spoiler :
It only took one round of cannon fire as no fewer than seven thousand cannons tore a hole in the city walls large enough for Gen. Poole's entire Phoenician rifle force to burst through.

Spoiler :
Within just seven minutes of the initial siege, Phoenician troops had reached the makeshift government headquarters established by the Turks. Most of the rebels committed suicide; the others were brutally gunned down by Phoenician rifles. After the dust had cleared, the residents of the city met with the generals to discuss the future of Krasnodar. After much urging, the citizens convinced the Phoenician military to let them remain a part of Russia. In the Russian capital of Moscow, the terms were agreed upon and in 1306 AD, the city was officially returned to Russia as Phoenician troops returned home.

Looks like the rebels...

:cool:

...just quit cold turkey.

"YYEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

TO BE CONTINUED o_o

So I started becoming unstable again during the attack on Turkey...so what did I do? I SWITCHED TO DEMOCRACY >.<
FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Anyway, update:

Part 35: The First Russo-Phoenician War

No sooner had the conflict with the Turks ended than the Russians, who no longer had a Turkish threat to occupy their time, declared war on the Phoenicians. This came just as the Phoenician government was tying off an alliance which would transform the Holy Roman Empire into yet another Phoenician protectorate. Fortunately, much of Snacks's and Poole's troops survived the assault on Krasnodar, and were ready to strike back at the Russians they had made deals with just weeks earlier. By the time the declaration of war came, Phoenician troops were already on the outskirts of Tiraspol, and began bombardment as a Roman fleet from the southwest closed in on the city.

It did not take long for the city to fall, as Phoenician troops occupied the eastern half, and Roman troops took the west. Eventually, due to stability problems back home, the Phoenician troops withdrew from the city and returned to the Phoenician Republic, as they waited for Phoenician peacekeepers to strike a peace deal with Russia.

Part 36: The Athens Assault

Spoiler :
However, peace was not yet at hand. Athenai, one of the largest cities in the Republic, experienced its own crisis as General Blitts Grieg, a descendant of the ancient Greek emperor Pericles, experienced a mental breakdown upon seeing the military's budget for the next fiscal year in his office in Athens. He ordered the entire city placed under a lockdown, and enacted a sort of martial law which involved him locking himself in his office with a prototype shotgun and refusing to let anyone in other than his beloved pet fish, Swimmy Sammy, who was lifted in to his office by a large steam crane. Fortunately, the Phoenician army was already nearby, and went on to its third major victory without any casualties, as Grieg was dragged out of his office by his ankles, clutching his goldfish bowl. Athenai was reattached to the Empire with very little difficulty.

Part 37: The End(?)

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
However, the military conquest proved to be in vain as the city seceded again only a few years later. In fact, so did every other Phoenician city other than Utica and Makkah. As the Phoenician Republic fell to pieces, the Council was dissolved in the year 1407 AD.

So...yeah. That's it. I mean, I could probably retake most of my cities, seeing as how my uberstack was stationed in the capital when it happened, but...idk. I'm kinda tired of this story. Frankly, i'm wondering if Leoreth changed the Carthaginian stability maps at all. I kinda doubt it.

But then again, I can't place the blame solely there. I did a horrible job of leading my empire, as can be seen in the screenie I took right before the collapse:
Spoiler :
:thumbsdown:

And here are the civics I was running:
Spoiler :

So...if anyone has tips on how I can not fail so hard in the future, it would be very much appreciated :goodjob:

And of course, if anyone wants me to continue this story I certainly will, but I'm open to other ideas too. In any event, thanks for reading :dance:

fin(?)

Why did you switch to Democracy?

I thought I needed the extra money =/
Basically, the only thing that kept my stability up for as long as it did was my economy :p

So unless someone has any serious objections, I'm gonna leave this and start a new story. Who knows? Maybe I'll come back to this one sometime ;)

Yes, your tech is so good that you can recover from the civil war. Take back the Balkans first, you need the hammers.

But the Arabians have vassalized to the Persians, and it seems that Persia is also powerful, so getting those cities back will be hard.

But the Arabians have vassalized to the Persians, and it seems that Persia is also powerful, so getting those cities back will be hard.

Not to mention that Persia is one of my strongest allies, and unless I'm mistaken, they vassalized Rome too :(

Anyways, I'll probably finish this as soon as my Portugal story is done.

I don't think they vassalized Rome- they're still the Roman Empire, not the Satrapy of Rome.

sooo apparently downloading v1.4 of dawn made all of my older save files stop working. I guess that means the story is over, unless leoreth has a solution. Sorry about this :(

Top Bottom