RFCEurope 1.5

maybe you can use the two bigger bell icons somehow?!

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 212
I noticed something curious when attacking independent cities shortly after spawn: their units disappear. Could this have something to do with the "Our forces joined the [new civ]" being applied to the indies?

I noticed something curious when attacking independent cities shortly after spawn: their units disappear. Could this have something to do with the "Our forces joined the [new civ]" being applied to the indies?

Similar thing sometimes happens to barb cities, although usually in places like Wales and Ireland when they can have 8+ units when England spawns.

I have always attributed it to some system which checks how many units an indie / barb city has compared to its commerce to ensure a city doesn't end up with an unrealistically massive garrison.

I think, you can already be relatively indifferent about researching technologies because of the harsh penalty of research for anachronistic technologies. In the current state of the game, it's not easy to get a huge techological lead. Also, it's not advisable to research technologies that are anachrostic because they are so expensive. Typically, you want to do this to get an economical or a military advantage, or you want to trade the tech with other civs.
I want to add to this almost one-year-old post of mine that the tech penalty based on date make planning very hard and also frustrating. This should not happen:
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

As you can see the tech should come next turn but it won't because the progress bar won't be full then. This sucks especially because I planned to switch to Bureaucracy while in the Golden Age.
All in all, I now think that the tech system is not in a good state right now. The tech penalties for large empires seem a little excessive. And the date penalty just makes the game more intransparent. If a form of that should stay I suggest making the penalty not date based but era based. For example if you are (date-wise) in the Early Middle Ages but resarching a tech of the High Middle Ages you get a +50 % modifier, for a Late Middle Ages tech it would be +100 %, Renaissance +200 %.
These numbers are of course just suggestions without any testing or reasoning.

I found a bug with the 2nd German UHV: I'm not adopting Protestantism even though I clicked to do so.
Here is a safe of the turn before.

Also, shouldn't corporations be capped at some point? Not that I'm complaining...
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Attachments

• Holy Rome vor Reformation.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
No, that's an AI-related disband mechanic in the background.
Unfortunately it's hard to track exactly why is this happening.
Similar thing sometimes happens to barb cities, although usually in places like Wales and Ireland when they can have 8+ units when England spawns.

I have always attributed it to some system which checks how many units an indie / barb city has compared to its commerce to ensure a city doesn't end up with an unrealistically massive garrison.
Something similar. I tried to adjust commerce related AI disband options a couple times during the past few years, but I also noticed that it still happens in a couple cases.
There must be some other stuff modifying related AI behaviour as well.

I want to add to this almost one-year-old post of mine that the tech penalty based on date make planning very hard and also frustrating. This should not happen: View attachment 489182
As you can see the tech should come next turn but it won't because the progress bar won't be full then. This sucks especially because I planned to switch to Bureaucracy while in the Golden Age.
All in all, I now think that the tech system is not in a good state right now. The tech penalties for large empires seem a little excessive. And the date penalty just makes the game more intransparent. If a form of that should stay I suggest making the penalty not date based but era based. For example if you are (date-wise) in the Early Middle Ages but resarching a tech of the High Middle Ages you get a +50 % modifier, for a Late Middle Ages tech it would be +100 %, Renaissance +200 %.
These numbers are of course just suggestions without any testing or reasoning.
I agree actually.
In fact I always opposed the hardcode-techs-to-dates method.
I strongly beleive that a good balance (in both the techs themselves and the civ modifiers) can replace it.
Getting rid of it won't happen till the extended timeline is implemented though - new time progress, new techs, etc.

I was thinking on a temporary solution, but not really sure.
I have no idea what effect would simply reducing it cause on 1.5.

I found a bug with the 2nd German UHV: I'm not adopting Protestantism even though I clicked to do so.
Here is a safe of the turn before.
Thanks, fixed!
Also, shouldn't corporations be capped at some point? Not that I'm complaining...
Yeah, there should be some limit.
Ideally new resources of the same type should add significantly less bonus after a while (logarithmic increase or something similar).
The way corporations was coded is rather rigid unfortunately. Would need some heavy changes to add a non-linear bonus.
It's rather low priority. Already have way too many plans for both 1.6 and 1.7.

I suspect, there is a bug with plague: When you conquer a city that has the plague, while none of your other cities is infected, the plague icon will show up in front of your civ name. When you gift the conquered city away, while still not having the plague in other cities, you will be spared of further infections. The plague icon will stay quite long in front of your name but will vanish eventually. Sadly, I don't have a save.
All of those are working as planned, apart from the plague icon remaining at your civ on the scoreboard.
So it's a minor display issue, which only appears in rare situations.
I'm not yet sure what triggers the icon's removal, probably the next plague check.

All of those are working as planned, apart from the plague icon remaining at your civ on the scoreboard.
No, I meant that I didn't get the plague in any city after gifting the newly acquired infected city away.

No, I meant that I didn't get the plague in any city after gifting the newly acquired infected city away.
Yeah, but I thought you gifted it away on the very same turn you conquered it.
In gameplay terms it might represent gifting it right away, or gifting it in a couple months/years.
It's an interesting question whether plague should spread/respread to your civ in these situations.

That would still be a bug when I wouldn't get the plague in any of my cities afterwards. Sorry that I forgot to attach a savegame.
It should be possible to get the plague in the normal way in these situations.
Wasn't this the case in your game? You got immunity in your civ for the given plague?
If yes, that's definitely a bug. Yeah, a savegame would be nice, it's hard to check it otherwise.

That was the case. I will try to reproduce the situation via Worldbuilder.
Cool, thanks!
Keep in mind, that new civs are totally immune for 15-20 turns. Both normally, and through city conquest.
So try to test it out with a mature civ.

Yeah, the current spawn mechanics can handle indy and player-owned cities differently in some cases.

A couple of random thoughts from my latest Denmark campaign:

—UHV2 seems like it’s difficult because of all of the conquest of Foreign territory you need to do. That is difficult, but with proper civics and management it’s doable (I know I whined about that before, but I’m better at the game now so :p)

It turns out that the real difficulty in UHV2 is Iceland! You have to reach Astronomy by ~1475 to rush a Galleon or two over to conquer Iceland—in this game I actually built the Bibliotheca to rush the tech. This isn’t a complaint, just a strategy point.

—Is it historical that the decline of the Hanseatic League led to a big population fall in the regions where it had been? I guess it was exacerbated since I controlled a ton of Hanseatic resources and so I had like 10 food per turn before it vanished, but it made a massive difference suddenly when it vanished.

—Is it historical that the decline of the Hanseatic League led to a big population fall in the regions where it had been? I guess it was exacerbated since I controlled a ton of Hanseatic resources and so I had like 10 food per turn before it vanished, but it made a massive difference suddenly when it vanished.

I'd like to echo this. The Hanseatic League giving food doesn't really work that well now that it's a company and can move in and out of cities without you really having much control over it. Maybe it could be modified so that the Hanseatic League lets you build a special building that gives you the food instead?

Good idea. How about something like:
Hanse Kontor
- Small bonus to :commerce: or :gold: with Dye, Cotton (representing trade with fabrics) or Fur
- Small bonus to :health: with Salt or Fish
- Stores 10% food, +1 food with Wheat or Barley

Top Bottom