Rhye's Civilisation Mod Pack

ongwin

Rebel w/o A Cause
I recently downloaded Rhye's modpack and I found it wonderful, its almost perfect. Indeed it is very well balanced as it claims to be.

Just one problem... There is war everyday. EVERYDAY, somebody declares war, makes peace, signs a trade embargo or makes a military alliance. Generally it shouldn't be a problem it doesn't affect me right? Yes, but when it does, I get world war.

What I mean by world war is: (This is the scenario)

I am playing as England and those pesky French won't get out of English waters, even thought I have 10 ship-of-the-line and 6 Man-O-War, which should take down their navy and bombard their coasts to **** in one turn.

I told them to leave or declare war and they chose the latter. Well, 2 turns after that they dragged germany into a MA versus me. Then the next turn Germany dragged 2 more civs into a MA and 1 Civ into a Trade Embargo. Then these Civs in turn dragged even more Civs into MA and TE with me. So by the end of 15 or so turns, everybody either had a trade embargo or military alliance against me. HOW CAN WE STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!??

So what if their ships are in your waters? Ships in your territory are not the worry that land units are. No sense getting your neighbors angry over that. The AI will always use your waters when it is convenient to them. You can do the same to them. The AI will ask you to leave their waters but they will never give you the leave-or-declare-war ultimatum just because you are in their sea space.

1. Well, I'm trying to salvage the situation by making peace with everybody. Now everybody has a trade embargo against me and about 9 civs at war with me. The problem is that some of those Civs at war will not receive my envoy and refuse to negotiate. Then they bring in even more people into the war. ITS A VICIOUS CYCLE!!! How can I get out of this absolutely ridiculous domino effect?

2. How do I get Civs that have a trade embargo against me to lift it?

And that can be expensive.

Also useful for freeing up resources that you want to buy from a civ...

ongwin said:
I recently downloaded Rhye's modpack and I found it wonderful, its almost perfect. Indeed it is very well balanced as it claims to be.

Just one problem... There is war everyday. EVERYDAY, somebody declares war, makes peace, signs a trade embargo or makes a military alliance. Generally it shouldn't be a problem it doesn't affect me right? Yes, but when it does, I get world war.

What I mean by world war is: (This is the scenario)

I am playing as England and those pesky French won't get out of English waters, even thought I have 10 ship-of-the-line and 6 Man-O-War, which should take down their navy and bombard their coasts to **** in one turn.

I told them to leave or declare war and they chose the latter. Well, 2 turns after that they dragged germany into a MA versus me. Then the next turn Germany dragged 2 more civs into a MA and 1 Civ into a Trade Embargo. Then these Civs in turn dragged even more Civs into MA and TE with me. So by the end of 15 or so turns, everybody either had a trade embargo or military alliance against me. HOW CAN WE STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!??

Ongwin,

I have had a similar experience. I really love this mod. It really makes you think about what to build -- it isn't an expand at all cost variant and has some great rules. Rhye and his team did an amazing job.

However, the 'problem' is with so many Civ's on the board, there is tremendous room for countires and alliances to go to war. I don't think (just my opinion) it has anything to do with the Rhye's variant per se, but rather just having so many Civ's near each other. With 32 civ's, not a lot of room for expansion, wars willb e frequent.

My first two games, I got killed in games I was winning by being dogpiled. Once a few declare war, the computer views you as weak, and then everyone else joins.

The trick to win is to reverse the process. It is CRUCIAL that as soon as somebody declares war, you ahve to start the dogpile process yourself. As Narmox said, having defense pacts help. However, this is the point where you get everyone to declare war on your aggressor.

You do the same thing France did to you. Get two or three others to join. Then, the computer apparently sees France is weaker, and you sign everyone else on.

Anyway, this has been my experience (I play on emperor/demigod usually). The key to victory -- be up in tech or gold! Get those first civ's to join you by trading a tech when you need to. Then the others join.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Thanks Breunor.

I lost in that previous game playing as England and now I've started another one as China. I learnt my lesson in the previous game and that is to have a strong military so that nobody can bully you, and it works.

As China, Korea is always trying to cut into my territory, so I tell them to leave or declare war and it works. The problem is, I have a tough time having enough gold to maintain the army because as Oligarchic Republic, it costs 2 gold per unit and only 1 support for town/city or metro!

I am only surviving because I trade my techs with the rich Arabs, who in turn trade it with the Europeans to become even richer! I have - 60 gold a turn but have 1600 in the treasury, which would last me for about 20 plus turns to get the next tech so that I can trade it again. Problem is, it seems that the Arabs are getting ahead in the tech race and I have no idea how. I need to make contact with the Europeans so that I can get pass the middle man (Arabs) and make more dough for myself, but I don't have a boat that can go there fast enough. By the time my galley reaches Europe, it would have been the industrial age.

Top Bottom