Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can color code the background for the civs that already have a rating, and just leave a blank background for those that don't. Better than nothing, I think. You can update the ratings with every patch... And we can always just decide by concensus on the difficulty of civs that don't have a strat guide. We should only leave blank the ones which not enough of us have played to judge.

OK, I've finished testing the naval thing.
And I've decided the solution to implement in the next beta; I hope you'll like it.

Basically, I satisfied your requests of being able to cross the Atlantic in one turn and to circumnavigate in few turns without altering the map with Aeon's method.
What I did is an extreme use of the current method (based on terrain movement cost).

Coast costs 3; sea and ocean cost 4.

From this table you see that frigates etc. are not much faster than older ships in coastal regions, but once they reach the ocean, they can travel for half world. Just like if I added some segments of non-cost LM terrains.

Attachments

• naval.jpg
    naval.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 327
Wow, interesting solution... Once you send out the new version I'll see how it works out (I'll play as one of the colonial powers in order to see this aspect better.)
I think right now the addition of changes should be slowed down, if you add too many changes too quickly there won't be time to test each of them seperately and pinpoint the inbalances of each. Now we may have a hard time understanding whyu one nation becomes a superpower since we don't know if it's the same way with the religions or without religions but with the new tech tree...

Rhye said:
A couple of questions:
-why do wooden ships like Frigates require iron? Shouldn't only the ironclad require it?
-why have privateer got 0 rate of fire and bombard range?
1. For the cannons, I guess.
2. Defensive bombard. ROF doesn't matter in def bombard, iirc.

Blasphemous said:
1. For the cannons, I guess.
2. Defensive bombard. ROF doesn't matter in def bombard, iirc.

1. Then it must be removed. Galleons had cannons but don't require iron. Saltpeter is enough as a requirement.

2. It seems a non sense to me. Why do privateers have defensive bombard only? It should be at least offensive only.

Because the AI would produce privateers like mad to harass enemies shores, so the bombardment ability has been made defensive only.

Rhye said:
Palace is OK for democracy. In Italy there's the Palace of government for example.

Yeah and in the UK the seat of government is The Palace of Westminster - it is fine to leave it as palace - afterall the President of the US may live in The White House but that is essentially a palace called The White House.

In many democratic countries either the president or parliament itself reside in a palace.

BRILLIANT! GUINESS QUALITY BRILLIANT!

Rhye, your idea will certainly work better from both an aesthetic point of view and from a game point of view. I think I saw something like it in another mod, but I cannot remember which one... but besides, I doubt it was this well worked out!

The only danger is of same turn declarations and deep invasions... but thats a price we all pay... well, not us, just the computer ;p

I can't wait to see this mod complete my mouse finger is twitching in anticipation.

I'm busy crushing the world as Israel in the original mod (surprised at how powerful they are) but my mind is already thinking ahead to the X pack.

Aeon221, same-turn declaration and invasion is a good thing - it's realistic and it means if there's a menace across the seas you had better stock up on whatever unit you can use to hit his boats with.

Oh Reginald... I DISAGREE! VROOM! ;p

Seriously though, I think that an overseas invasion should take a great deal of time and preparation, which is why I hate the one turn smashfest.

I mean, we all do the bombard, marine, tank, slaughter, repeat, in the modern ages, but... oh forget it!

there is no logic needed ;p

I DISAGREE FOR UTTERLY NO REASON AT ALL! ;p

PS: I realized any complaints would result in Rhye thinking that maybe his idea is a bad one... sooo I dont want to argue this one and risk my most favoritest addition ;p

haha, besides you would prolly win this one, as I cannot think of any good reasons hahaha

I'm uploading now the new version, contaning many fixes, most of the pedia (some cyan boxes mean that some pictures are still missing) and the new naval movements. I'll send in a few minutes the link to your emails.

1) Please report me any grammatical error I put in.

2) Please go here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=102248
and post to keep this thread alive. The shifta requires a good animation, and it simply isn't available anywhere, considering that I keep many animations for flavour-units purpose only.

i remember dl some of your earlier work and i really enjoyed them, so if this update gives me just as much fun i had with the first i dl ill be stuck to my comp for ages... really great work on making the loading times reduced (alot) i hate waiting 10-15 minutes between turns, its like playing a fps game with 1 frame a minute... so i look forward to try this update, im dl now 90 %...

what would be real good is that "colonies" (cities far away from their capital, not worker built colonies) could break up and become independent, such as U.S.A. did and all the other colonies did in the 20th century, which would make it more difficult to have colonies and still found new countries... i know this wont work but it would have been cool if they did that on the next civilization, just think of britain loosing all its colonies in africa, australia becoming independent and such happenings...

Lord_Azazel said:
i remember dl some of your earlier work and i really enjoyed them, so if this update gives me just as much fun i had with the first i dl ill be stuck to my comp for ages... really great work on making the loading times reduced (alot) i hate waiting 10-15 minutes between turns, its like playing a fps game with 1 frame a minute... so i look forward to try this update, im dl now 90 %...

Thanks. What was the work you played?

what are you looking forward to? The lastest version of this mod, or its announced expansion pacK?

Lord_Azazel said:
what would be real good is that "colonies" (cities far away from their capital, not worker built colonies) could break up and become independent, such as U.S.A. did and all the other colonies did in the 20th century, which would make it more difficult to have colonies and still found new countries... i know this wont work but it would have been cool if they did that on the next civilization, just think of britain loosing all its colonies in africa, australia becoming independent and such happenings...

LOL that's one of the main requests for Civ4!

All I did is:
-make some resources appear in America after the arrival of the Europeans, giving a boost to all the American civs.
-put invisible resources in the Eastern USA that should halp them to catch Europeans in the tech race.

As this is very difficult to happen, the Xpack will contain the Statue of Liberty wonder, buildable in America only.
If they reach democracy they will be able to build it. In that case, they will benefit of the effect of another great library! This will bring one American civ to the top in later stages of the game!

My hope for Civ4 is that they come up with many ideas Rhye already had - or some other concepts.

I like the idea of an Empire of colonies, "British style". This is only viable with Rhye's modifications to corruption so far.

The should also take into accounts some of Rhye's ideas for fixed map scenarios. Something like the Statue of Liberty that can be only built in America would surely need to be modified for a random map version.

i just have to say, this is a briliant mod, all the aspects of it are perfect, it usually plays out as in RL, all the civs are well balanced, this is great, the loading time is a great bonus too. :)

Can't wait for the expansion pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom