RifE Blogpost: City Actions and the Sidar Revamp

And even so they won't be able to attack the city without having high enough Perception cause the heaviest mist is on the city tile itself.

But they could maybe get through the mist and to an unprotected (by mist) core city this way, but I am perfectly fine with that, you have to take that into consideration as the sidar player.

I didn't know/forgot that the city itself is fogged. In this case it really doesn't matter.

(That was an unnecessary long and utterly pointless discussion, sorry.)

I like it the way it is now, it's supposed to be dense fog and dense fog is dark (like thundery clouds).

Edit: Plus it's Sidar fog and the Sidar are generally associated with Arawn, the Grey One, so grey fits them quite nicely.

The mist is associated with Shadow magic, so it should be dark anyway. :lol:

@valk
you could try out my fog (just replace the textures) and see how it is looking. (mine is more grey and lighter.

I have, honestly. The main reason ours is dark isn't the texture... it's the nif. I doubled/tripled/quadrupled some of the nodes, to get heavy, thick mist. Otherwise, no matter what the color, it's just not thick enough.

I just realized something interesting: The mountain to the east doesn't appear to be covered by the fog. Does this mean it will be possible to sneak up on hidden Sidar cities using units who can climb mountains or is it just a graphical issue?

Yes. Yes it would be.

Yes mountains would be a way to sneak through the mist currently, unless we decide to change that (It's just how I implemented it currently, might change if Valkrionn decides so).

Well, we could get around the art issue by having a separate artdefine for mountain mist, and lower the nif quite a bit (about midway down the mountain?), but I'm okay with allowing civs to go that route; Allows a non-magical, non-religious way to counter it. Which is a good thing.

Not really. Dense fog is still greyish white. If you find yourself in a dark-colored fog, you probably should run!

Edit: Here's a good photo of dense fog. (not letting me put the picture inline for some reason)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labimposter/444012945/

Again, Shadow magic. :p

I was thinking about unnaturally dense fog, dense enough to make an army loose it's way. (In open terrain or even on roads, not only in forests.) You might be right that it still wouldn't get *that* dark though.

@Grey Fox: When you're considering it, just remember that there are 3 civs that can climb mountains thanks to they're racial promotions (Dwarves and Jotnar).
I'll be fine with it either way.

There are, yes, but otherwise the only ways to really counter it are massively promoted troops (well, Mountaineering takes promos too, but more useful ones at least), Magic, or Empy. Need a 'standard' way of doing it too.

I didn't know/forgot that the city itself is fogged. In this case it really doesn't matter.

(That was an unnecessary long and utterly pointless discussion, sorry.)

Missed the second page....

Yep, the city itself is actually fogged to a higher value than any other tile. Heavy mist is on the city, Mist is on the first radius of tiles (the square immediately around the city), and Light Mist is surrounding those.

And no discussion is pointless. ;)

Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but I figured it'd be better to keep related info in the same thread. I can delete this post and start a new thread if that would be better.

So, I'm playing RiFE 1.30, and the Sidar declare war on me. They have the new mist mechanics as detailed in this thread.... and it's driving me crazy! :p The Sidar declared war on me. and I had some decent forces, so I didn't really care. I was playing as the Malakim under Empyrean... based on what I know of lore and what was said in this post, it seems that Chalid and his mafia of uber-vicars should be tops at waging war against these guys, right?

Except, I couldn't touch them. I could get right up next to their city (likely because they built it right next to one of my forts :rolleyes: ), but I couldn't attack them. I could cause magical and ranged damage, but that was it. And none of my spells had any kind of effect - I would have thought that Revelation should have made it easier to enter, but it had no effect. I also would have thought that the Aurelius would be able to get through - the thing is MADE of sunlight, for heaven's sake :lol: - but he couldn't touch the city either.

I got sick of not being able to DO anything in this war, so I tried a peace treaty. Apparently killing their hero and a bunch of their troops scared the crap out of them, so they offered up that city I kept trying to attack as part of the peace treaty. Woot! :D Except... not so much. Apparently because they gifted me the city instead of me taking it, it still had the "hidden city" building in it. So STILL none of my troops could enter. There's no city city spell to get rid of the Hidden City building. :confused:

So, at this point, the only thing I can think of to do is world-build away the Hidden City, or see if an air adept has any more luck than Team Radiant. I request that 1) there be more about mists and related spells/effects in the Pedia (because I had a devil of a time even getting to this point), and 2) tone down the mists a little bit? It just seems a little off that such an early game tech can make them essentially invincible.

Thanks for all that you do! :goodjob:

Does the mist provide protection against barbarians, animals and demons? Has it been tested how this affects to high armageddon counter demon spawns?

Top Bottom