Rise of Darkness

Can you remove the 'must own the city' condition for buying trinkets from the Guild of Nine. I had a Svartalfar Shadow (of Esus), invisible, very disappointed to not buy some of the stuff in a Dwarven black market ;)

This can be a quest by itself, where is this darn GoN, and how will I manage to slip a stealthy unit to reach it and buy stuff...

Oops, I forgot the last, major, change I did to your mod. I call it 'the invisible war' change ...

All Assassins and Shadows are invisible and can see invisible. Believe me, this is fun. Well, sometime not. I had one of my level 9 Mage assassinated in my capital, in the midst of my empire, by an enemy assassin. If I had posted some of mine correctly, or even had an hawk nearby, I would have spotted it.... For the rest, it is not overpowered and the AI plays the feature well. Now you can really send assassins in hostile territory... praying that there is no assassins (acting as 'counter spy') nearby to spot them...

To compensate, the Sidar Ghost cost is reduced to 100. He has a special on//off kind of invisibility which is anyway cool (with the added first strike).

And that is all, going to work now ;)

Here what I'm modding and why:

CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
Raised all conquests prob from 25 to 75.
=> I just hate when you lose and then recapture a city and it is back in stone age. With 75% probability, you still have 50% chance of losing each building.

I added a bit of gold income (from 1 to 4 depending of its innate cost) to many building (representing small scale commerce, like selling grains from the granary, etc.). Granary produces +1 gold, Herbalist +2 gold, Public Bath +3, Inn +3, Forge +4 etc.
=> This help play with a bit more gold, I always found that the game was too hard for leaders without special traits like financial etc. It can be related to my style of maps. I play huge maps and I have big drains on gold as soon as I start to expand. Also I like the added incentive. Even if you don't really need an herbalist for the health, you know you get +2 gold and it can help.

Courthouse and Dungeon reduce slightly the global war weariness. Again, in big long games you end up at war constantly. I often had in vanilla FFH size 20 city with WW of 20-30. I really hate that. For me, a huge empire geared to war (or knowing Armaggedon is coming) must be able to sustain perpetual war.

Courthouse gives +1 culture. Culture is influence in fact. A courthouse strengthen the government, so strengthen influence. Same can be said for others buildings.

Aqueduct cost is down to 120 prod and it gives 3 health. I always felt it was too weak. It can now be built (like carnival and walls) by supplies.

Supplies can be built with engineering (cost 120 prod). You can't build forge with it (that would be an exploit). This way, big cities can help young ones. In the end, I perhaps build 6 or so supplies per game, so there is no blatant exploit here.

Herbalist can build Healing Salve for 80 prod.
=> Again, I hate to have a withered rangers for 80 turns in a row, waiting to be healed indefinitely (by a priest yes, but I played Grigori last time and waiting for the Medic was extremely frustrating). If you try, you will see in the end that you don't build much of them, perhaps 3-4 per game.

Research Lab boosted a bit to +20% research and can build the blue and red Salve.

CIV4CivicInfos.xml
Two big changes. First I removed any changes altering food production. Because the AI can't handle the empire-wide effect of having food production altered. It can really screw it completely. So ...
Aristocracy don't gives -1 food. In exchange, upkeep goes to Medium and it adds -2 health.
Agrarianism don't gives +1 food. In exchange, it gives +1 gold per farm and +2 health. Everybody gets +1 food from farm (so a farm gives +2 food not +1 from the start). This also helps the AI in tundra... This way, an AI empire in tundra can still prosper. In vanilla: AI in tundra = very minor empire.

Also...
Undercouncil gives -25% maintenance from distance and -25% distance from #of cities.
Overcouncil gives -50%/-50%

Again, this is because I play huge games. I need to be able to capture enemy cities without having my economy butchered. As these reductions only trigger in the mid game, the early game is still difficult and you can easily over expand. Overcouncil gets a bigger boost, because Undercouncil votes are much more juicy, so it compensates. Now you have a difficult choice between the two.

Experience:
I gave +1 xp to units in both Nationhood and Military state. This allow an empire running 3 military civics to reach 5 xp.

CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml
I cut a bit in the dev time of fort/castles and cottages/town/cities. I felt it was too long.

CIV4PromotionInfos.xml
Bounty Hunter gives +5 gold and only requires Combat II. From my experience, it is now worth to expand a promotion to get it, before I would never do that for 2 gold ... As your empire progress you'll see you don't need the extra gold so much and you'll promote less and less units with BH. Early it can be a good source of income, something like 25 to 50% of it each turn, if you manage well. Nothing overpowering but now it has an interest.

I also reduced by two thirds (yes!) all max damages and damages of all spells, including destroy undead. I always found very abusive the damages levels that could be reached in vanilla FFH. Get one sorcerer with Air 2 and voila, you can completely screw an AI stack. Now you need 3... I know this is a rather big change, but really, it bothers me to no end to see a huge AI stack of 50 units halted and butchered just because you have a single sorcerer. If you are not convinced, do the maths. a unit with 40% damage has something like 1/4 of the chances of a unit with full health to win a battle...

Every spell that create a 'can not move effect' now generates a slow spell effect. It helps prevents the AI remaining stuck indefinitely (I think you know that as soon as one unit among an IA stack has the 'can not move effect', no units will ever move out of the stack?)

Combat I-V now only gives +1 to +3 spell damage.

Wow :eek: that is amazing. The only thing I really have a problem with is the nerfs you made to magic. I do agree that it is really powerful but that is huge. I'll probably merge almost everything here.

Thanks for your answers in post #278 btw.

Also I'm considering these changes:
The Nexus costs upped to 900 and moved to National Wonder. Because it tremendously reduces micro managing and anything reducing MM really helps play big games. Obsidian gates costs reduced to 200. You now have a real choice: do I start building some 200 costs building or I wait for the 900 one to be finished.

Btw the change I would really hope to see one day in any mod or base FFH would be that the AI can at last clean up its empire (spring/sanctify/bloom). Wild Mana does that I think? ;)

The Nexus changes would be good. I will be adding in the Terraform AI from Wildmana in in .23.

Can you remove the 'must own the city' condition for buying trinkets from the Guild of Nine. I had a Svartalfar Shadow (of Esus), invisible, very disappointed to not buy some of the stuff in a Dwarven black market ;)

This can be a quest by itself, where is this darn GoN, and how will I manage to slip a stealthy unit to reach it and buy stuff...

Hmmm... I will not remove the must own city requirements but your blackmarket ideas are interesting so I will add in a different set of spells so you can buy the Guild of the Nine items.

Oops, I forgot the last, major, change I did to your mod. I call it 'the invisible war' change ...

All Assassins and Shadows are invisible and can see invisible. Believe me, this is fun. Well, sometime not. I had one of my level 9 Mage assassinated in my capital, in the midst of my empire, by an enemy assassin. If I had posted some of mine correctly, or even had an hawk nearby, I would have spotted it.... For the rest, it is not overpowered and the AI plays the feature well. Now you can really send assassins in hostile territory... praying that there is no assassins (acting as 'counter spy') nearby to spot them...

To compensate, the Sidar Ghost cost is reduced to 100. He has a special on//off kind of invisibility which is anyway cool (with the added first strike).

And that is all, going to work now ;)

I'm not sure if giving Assassins outright invisibility is a good idea. However I may make a spell castable by Assassins so that they can become hidden. It would have to have high AI weights so that they always will try to turn their units invisible.

I already planned something similar for the Sidar so that they can become invisible and visible at will. Both spells will probably cost some gold or experience.

Thanks for your kind appraisal of my ideas :)

I understand that the changes I impacted on magic are very extreme... Perhaps you can accommodate people that as me find it is bordering abuse and exploits do have such level of damages from spells with a general option "Limit Spells Damages", which would read a global variable set by default to 50 (50% of Max Damages / Damages per spell) when checked? This way this would even be mod-moddable (I would set it to 33 to get back my settings, but 50% would be already a giant leap toward equilibrium imho).

As you wish anyway...

Thanks for your kind appraisal of my ideas :)

I understand that the changes I impacted on magic are very extreme... Perhaps you can accommodate people that as me find it is bordering abuse and exploits do have such level of damages from spells with a general option "Limit Spells Damages", which would read a global variable set by default to 50 (50% of Max Damages / Damages per spell) when checked? This way this would even be mod-moddable (I would set it to 33 to get back my settings, but 50% would be already a giant leap toward equilibrium imho).

As you wish anyway...

Sounds doable. I might put in some options for different limits or damages. Imagine double damage or cutting in by a fourth.

:D I could use it in Fallen Ages too to represent how much magic is in the world and the strain on it's use.

And I forgot about another things I modded: unexplored Dungeons generate Minotaurs. Just because I like a dangerous world :)

Minotaurs! Those things are huge 10 :strength: units. You are a very good player is you can handle those from turn 5.

New patch. Mostly more helps this time.

RoD.22 Patch J
  1. Fixed Font file
  2. Fixed text file
  3. Fixed absorb strength spell
  4. Only D'Tesh can build D'Tesh
  5. AI values Sheut Stone in trades
  6. Filled in Helps for spells:
    • Call of Patria
    • Decimation
    • Nature's Revenge
    • Undeath's Dominion
    • Absorb Strength
    • Doublecast
    • Beastial Pack
    • Machine Alive
    • Motivations
    • Populous
    • Barrier

Great!

As for Minotaurs, perhaps I was lucky. They are only generated by dungeons after all, and a couple of entrenched fighters can wear them down to finish one with a third warrior. But I was perhaps lucky :)

Anything can dwell in Dungeons anyway, the best would be an assortment of units that are stronger as time pass... at first dungeons only generate skeletons, and then it climbs up in difficulty. But this is a minor point, I can very well play without that.

How are generated your elementals? I captured one (it seems they are animal?) but never saw another. The coolest thing would be to have them generated by unclaimed mana nodes I believe. Again, either they are stronger as the turns advances, or they are more numerous. Perhaps this should be an option when you launch the game too, some people may not like to have too many spawning. Me, I really like that, it reminds me of Master of Magic.

Anything that can strengthen the feeling that the outside world is dangerous is good for me. I'm an explorer by heart. I really like to send parties into the wild to discover mysteries, a dungeon, a barbarian city, a lair. I would be really happy to get more diversity on that, but already FFH is doing great with dungeons I admit.

Great!

As for Minotaurs, perhaps I was lucky. They are only generated by dungeons after all, and a couple of entrenched fighters can wear them down to finish one with a third warrior. But I was perhaps lucky :)

Anything can dwell in Dungeons anyway, the best would be an assortment of units that are stronger as time pass... at first dungeons only generate skeletons, and then it climbs up in difficulty. But this is a minor point, I can very well play without that.

I would like that too. It could make something like that with python but it would slow the game down a bit too much. I do have something like that already. If you see the Throne of Hell UF appear it does this but with demons.

How are generated your elementals? I captured one (it seems they are animal?) but never saw another. The coolest thing would be to have them generated by unclaimed mana nodes I believe. Again, either they are stronger as the turns advances, or they are more numerous. Perhaps this should be an option when you launch the game too, some people may not like to have too many spawning. Me, I really like that, it reminds me of Master of Magic.

They are animals. I made it so that they could upgrade into elementals in the later game if the owner ends up with sorcery.

Anything that can strengthen the feeling that the outside world is dangerous is good for me. I'm an explorer by heart. I really like to send parties into the wild to discover mysteries, a dungeon, a barbarian city, a lair. I would be really happy to get more diversity on that, but already FFH is doing great with dungeons I admit.

I could do both these ideas. I will be importing the Wild Mana options in .23 so you will see mana nodes being a type of lair in the early game guarded by elementals.

Hey that would be great! You have a lot of features to add in the next version I see -- I'll be away until the end of August (for some due vacation), when do you think 0.23 can make it?

I noticed that you can build forts units in enemy culture border, is it not a bit weird? I like to be able to build them in friendly borders, this allow to help an ally though.

Hey that would be great! You have a lot of features to add in the next version I see -- I'll be away until the end of August (for some due vacation), when do you think 0.23 can make it?

I think that I could get .23 ready in early september. This is a bit later than I want it to be but I have to get a new computer and do a bunch of work before I return to school.

I noticed that you can build forts units in enemy culture border, is it not a bit weird? I like to be able to build them in friendly borders, this allow to help an ally though.

I think friendly would make a good limit. They really are for grabbing land but a good fighters too.

For Dungeons spawning increasing strength units... Why not simply have a few tiers of dungeons, that upgrade? You'd have to change the explore code a bit, but this way you get different spawns as the game goes on without worrying about slowing the game with a bunch of python.

Maybe exploring could increase the level of the dungeon. You explore the dugeon and it starts to spawn skeletons then chaos marauders, barb champs, minotaurs, ect. I would have to lower the cooldown period on dungeons a bit though.

I gave this mod a try, but wonder what about the simple install instructions I could've messed up. I definitely have FFH .41d, copied it, named the folder appropriately, installed Rise of Darkness. Oddly I can only very slowly start the module, and when I do, the first screen I get is a blank, no tech tree "technology advisor" parchment looking screen. Then I exit that, see my little settler and starting units, but virtually nothing else in terms of GUI (ie, no gold, no diplo list in the bottom corner, no interface across the bottom band of the screen, just a map and the little dudes)..

It reminds me of how when FFH Shadow or Ice came out, people who'd been playing other mods like FF, when trying FFH, had some odd things vanishing from their onscreen interface unless they did some "play now" type options to wipe saved preferences, or went and edited some file or another with a long alphanumeric string of some baffling sort... any troubleshooting help or thoughts to share?

Can't think of anything. I will be getting a new installer that copies FfH but I guess you couldle try to reinstall or just do a play now to clear your data.

I still haven't figured it out ("Play Now" was the first thing I tried to maybe clear any hidden preferences from other mods), but I'm sure I'll have a "eureka!" moment at some point. Thanks though!

EDIT: well, I guess something was up with the GUI based on the "Default" profile I had... under game options. When I picked a profile I tend to use (under my name, "Mark"), it restored all the GUI stuff. Couldn't see any difference between all the boxes I had x'd out, but I will take it for a miracle I guess.

Top Bottom