Rise of Rome

Grammer Nazi! :p
Sorry, I forgot to run spellcheck before I posted it. I edited several other stupid typos. Thanks.

Chapter XV
Age of Discovery.​

_ In the year 1882, the Romans completed yet another great technology. It was called physics and it combined the knowledge of math and science to further study the world. Around the same time, a scientist published her findings on a glowing green material found in regions near Rome, Barcelona, and Cumea. A year after her works were published, Madam Uranitonious died of a mysterious illness. The material was named Uranium, in her honor. Along with many new discoveries yielded by physics, the uranium was powering Romanized versions of the Malinese Airships. Roman engineers had finally finished reverse-engineering the Malinese Airships. The first of the new weapon was sent to Timbuktu and quickly used to bomb the Army’s next target of Kumbi Saleh. It was powered by Uranium. Research was started on more effective ways of making things fly. It was hoped that new machines could be created that could actually engage Airships in the air and shoot them down with guns.
_ As all of these technological breakthroughs were going on in Romana, the war effort continued in Malome. After the failed attack on Walata failed, a group of swift riding regiments of mounted cavalry were sent to the city to catch the remaining defenders by surprise. This attack was also a failure. While the cavalry was being slaughtered in Walata, the main force of the Roman Army was mustering to leave the occupied city of Timbuktu. In 1882, the RAF moved out and headed towards Kumbi Saleh.
_ In 1886, a fort was completed near one of the Arctic sources of oil that was first located years before. New uses for this were quickly found. The most profound was a new type of battleship, simply called a Destroyer, because that’s what it was good at. By burning oil, it was able to make the trip from Romana to Malome in only a few weeks, instead of months. In battle, it was unlike anything that had ever been seen. The cannonballs just bounced off its imposing steel frame. It dominated wooden vessels the Malinese threw at it. The Destroyer was the pride of Rome for years.

Hooray for Rome Domination victories! Or at least, that's what it seems you're heading for.

Hoorah! Hoorah! This story is awsome.

Chapter XVI
Exciting advancements on Romana​

_ With all of these scientific advancements, many things began to change. In Rome, a new university was built. It was larger and had more rigorous work than any other university in the world. It was named Oxford University. Rome became a worldwide symbol of knowledge and learning. Soon afterwards, Rome became distinct for yet another achievement. A new military headquarters was built using only the newest and best technology. It had 3 rings to it; the closer to the center, the higher level you had to be. Only the most important, including the Caesar himself, could go to the grassy area in the middle. According to rumor, it was the most beautiful sanctuaries in all the Roman Empire. It had plants from all over the world, with diverse birds, small animals, and anything else imaginable.
_ Madrid was the second oldest city in the Roman Empire. It was founded by the Spanish heathens, then invaded and assimilated to Roman culture. It was now the financial and industrial center of the Empire. A new way of bringing wealth was invented by economist in 1892. It was called a stock market. People traded pieces of paper worth parts of corporations and pretended they were worth monetary value. The center of trading was based on one of the oldest in the city, Wall Street. It was built along where the old city wall was located before the Romans tore it down brick by brick. On the outskirts of the city, where most of the manufacturing and factories were located, a new building was also being built. It was the biggest factory in the world. It was named Ironworks. That one institution greatly increased the productivity of the city.
_ The discovery of oil was considered a turning point in Roman history. Besides bringing about better military technology, it transformed the economy. Before the discovery of oil, the nation was going through a recession. Oil revolutionized the economy. New industries opened up. Instead of trains or horses, people used personal transportation machines, called cars, an acronym of the Latin name. One man became the wealthiest man in all Rome, and therefore in the whole world, from selling oil. His name was John D. Rockefeller. He lived in Madrid and helped found the stock exchange on Wall Street. He also invented a new economic system. He noticed that costs of things kept going up and that the value of a dollar was going down. His new system, called Rockonomy, was soon adapted and helped reduce the phenomenon he had noticed, which he named inflation.
_ In 1894, aerodynamics was invented. It allowed large metal objects to fly. It was unbelievable. This was meant to counter Malinese airships, but some innovative Romans realized that they could also carry people from place to place. A port for these air planes was built outside Rome, and soon, air-ports were popping up in all major cities. Some airplanes were equipped with guns and sent to attack Malinese soldiers. They were very good at this. They had already struck fear into the hearts of the Mali Soldiers by the time the army arrived. They knew their time was near.

Attachments

• 49. The Pentagon.JPG
    49. The Pentagon.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 130
I sense nukes are coming soon...

Sorry, I don't liike nukes. I always get them banned as soon as possible. I might change just for this story though.
I've played up to a little after this point, but I'm not sure if I still have the save for this game. I've updated to a new patch and downloaded the Bug Mod, which does not work with the Civ Gold mod, which I was using for the better unit and city graphics. I may have to improv the end of this story.

One more vote for nukes. Try to get in multiple strikes so everyone really fears you.

Chapter XVII
The Continent Is Taken​

_ More fight ready airplanes, Fighters for short, were soon trained. They were put to the task of weakening the fortifications and morale of the last to Malinese strongholds on the continent of Malome. Walata and Kumbi Saleh were both relatively small, unimportant cities before the war, but once most of the main military centers of Mali were taken by Rome, they turned into fort cites, surrounded by hastily constructed walls, trenches, minefields, and anything else they could scavenge that they thought would delay the imminent Roman advance. Several attacks had already been made on Walata, all unsuccessful and the defenders were beginning to get arrogant. They knew the main force of the army was headed towards the larger Kumbi Saleh, so they felt confident they could stay fortified until the Mali command, now evacuated to one of Mali’s cities on the many island chains south of the main continent, were able to liberate the rest of Mali’s former territory. Little did they know that once Rome has you land, there’s no getting it back.
_ One morning, after the routine nine o’clock air raid, a gunner on the outer-most line of defense noticed something over the northern horizon. It was a line of about twenty men. He blinked. Suddenly it was several lines of hundreds of armed men wearing Roman Army uniforms. He was too stunned to speak. Before, every advance had came from the South. Walata was one of the northernmost cities in the world, so they believed a northern advance was improbable and focused all defense to the south and west, with the sea to the east. Before he could gather his wits and run to alert high command, there was just a sea of imperial purple uniforms moving in unison, with no end in sight. By eleven o’clock, the defenses had been spread around to cover the north side of town more thoroughly, though they didn’t move all men north, for they were still wary of being flanked to the south. Arrangements were also made for the women and children to be evacuated by sea becuase this army was much larger than any previously encountered. The boats were all sunk by Roman Destroyer off the coast. They blocked all incoming and outgoing vessels, effectively cutting the city off from escape or request for aid. The battle was over before one o’clock. The fresh Roman regiments, just shipped directly from Romana were an unexpected surprise for Mali. The tactic worked.
_ The same week, before news of the fall of Walata could even reach Mali’s last stronghold on the main continent, the Romans advanced their main force on the city. This time, the Romans didn’t use any tricks or gimmicks, just plain, brute force. They rehearsed they same pattern used since the 900’s against the Byzantines. Attack with artillery, now consisting of cannons and Air Fighters instead of crude wood catapults. When the defenses are obliterated, focus on hitting the opposing men with the same artillery bursts that tore down their walls. Then send the light foot soldiers to finish the work. IT took merely 7 hours 17 minutes for the last Malinese influence to be wiped off the continent they had occupied since time immemorial. There was much celebrating throughout the Roman Empire which now controlled the whole of 2 continents. All that was left was the few remaining island outposts to the south of Malome. Malome was also renamed Terra, in honor of the family of generals who had lead many of the greatest battles.

Attachments

• 50. The Battle of Walata.JPG
    50. The Battle of Walata.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 48. Attack on Kumbi Saleh.JPG
    48. Attack on Kumbi Saleh.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 51. Rome's New Continent.JPG
    51. Rome's New Continent.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 54. The Remaing Mali and Russian Islands.JPG
    54. The Remaing Mali and Russian Islands.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 53. South Romana.JPG
    53. South Romana.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 52. North Romana.JPG
    52. North Romana.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 93
I'm planning on trying to get several more updates in this weekend, and hopefully wrapping this up soon. That was as far as I've played in the game, and with the new patches and a few new mods, I'm a bit incredulous as to whether or not the save will open. I'll probably just take poetic license and make up the rest (with nukes). If I don't get some updates, soon, please encourage me; I'm a procrastinator.

EDIT: Well that's a surprise, it actually worked!

I see a Barbarian city down there... I love it when they make it such a long time.

Chapter XVII
The End Is Nigh​

_ On the first day of the twentieth century, something shocked the world. The Mali capital of Gao was utterly destroyed. At exactly midnight, the sound of planes was heard from overhead. It was a surprise, as Roman air raids had never reached this far south. Suddenly, a large, dark object was dropped from the belly of the largest beast. It fell slowly, almost gracefully towards Earth, directly over the makeshift palace of Mali’s king, Mansa Musa. When it exploded, everyone that was looking at it was blinded by the white light of a thousand suns. The entire population for miles received third degree burns over most of their bodies. It was total carnage. Several minutes after the initial explosion, pieces of glowing debris began raining down from an ominous mushroom cloud over the city.
_ A few weeks later, almost six thousand years, to the day, after the founding of the Roman Empire, Mansa Musa came to the city of Kumbi Saleh in an unarmed fishing boat, bearing the sign international sign of surrender, a white flag. He was quickly seized by Romans at the port and brought to the head general of the Mali Campaign. Mansa Musa had serious wounds on his arms and back. He said that his advisors had repeatedly told him to surrender after the attack on Kumbi Saleh. They said he was lucky to have survived with his life. He had been at a meeting in Tekedda the night of the attack. When he continued to ignore his advisors, they beat him. He came offering capitulation and a peace offering of four million dollars a year. The Romans relayed his offer to the head of the armed forces in Rome. They found the offer acceptable, and on March 6, 1900, the war was officially over. Rome ruled the entire world. They quickly placed troops to keep the Mali population reminded who was superior.
_ There were huge celebration throughout the Empire. Rome had proven itself the dominate force in the world. They controlled over three hundred fifteen thousand square kilometers of land, and had over twenty-three billion souls under their iron grip. Six thousand years ago, there had been five emerging tribes in the world. Rome had put all of them in they’re place. The Spanish and Byzantines had been totally obliterated and assimilated to Roman culture. Then they found the Russians and Malinese on a far away continent. They pushed them both off the land they had owned since time immemorial and turned them into island nations, stretched out over the various lands around Rome’s new continent. They even developed the most powerful weapon ever conceived, with the power to destroy an entire city in minutes. They kept this secret to themselves in case anyone ever dare oppose their power. Rome had a iron grip over the entire population of the world. What lay beyond was a mystery, though...

Attachments

• 57. The Offer.JPG
    57. The Offer.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 58. The Victory.JPG
    58. The Victory.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 59. In the Beginning.JPG
    59. In the Beginning.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 60. The Final World Map.JPG
    60. The Final World Map.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 61. Augustus Caesar.JPG
    61. Augustus Caesar.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 149
Spaceship time!

Here's a sneak peak. The tone of the story becomes very dark. And, I'm formally announcing a major surprise at the conclusion of the story. You won't believe my surprise...

I'd almost forgotten this. My big secret was that I accidently won the game on accident a little earlier than I'd accidently meant to. :blush: Sometime in the early 1500's I sent a couple missionaries to Mali and Russia (see chapter XII on page 2) to get them included in the Apostolic Palace. I ran out of resolutions since there was no war and no one left to embargo, so I put up a Diplo. Win vote and for some reason, Mali voted for me. I reloaded to the last autosave and kept playing, but that's the secret I've been keeping since last November. Bet y'all have been in suspense over that for months. :lol:

Oh, btw, I'm thinking about trying to start another story over spring break, but try to keep it under one year to finish. Would anyone be interested in another story by the famous DroopyTofu?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom