Rising Tide - First Impressions

When the, transcendence wonder, whatever it's called, is built it counts up all the mind stems and xeno sanctuaries and subtracts that number from the number of turns you wait. There's no number setting for how how many turns for different buildings, it just had a flag for each, does it speed transcendence, yes or no, so each building is the same.

Right, ok. So they still don't matter after the wonder is built. But building them early doesn't help.

So, in my Apollo game, Barre got up to Harmony 10 by turn 150. Is that normal behavior from the AI?

What game speed? Game in mind that AI on Apollo start with +1 affinity level in each affinity. If it's quick or standard, that's to be expected. If epic or marathon, yeah that's pretty quick for AI.

Harmony 10 on turn 150 seems to be about standard for the AI and really bad compared to what players can achieve.

Harmony 10 on turn 150 seems to be about standard for the AI and really bad compared to what players can achieve.

If it's just harmony yeah that's awful. If that's something like 10/8/3 though that'd be quite good.

So, in my Apollo game, Barre got up to Harmony 10 by turn 150. Is that normal behavior from the AI?

The first game of BERT I loaded up Barre (I think) had 14 purity sometime well before turn 150 (maybe around t130?); I was flabbergasted by this as the next closest AI was sitting around 7-8 IIRC. Of course, Barre then proceeded to not get another point in purity the rest of the game, and all was right with the universe, so take it as you will. Haven't seen anything like that before or since, although on occasion it seems the odd AI will get around the 12-14 mark between t150 and t170.

In all of history if all you could do is sit behind walls the aggressor would just starve you to death (and maybe hurl rocks at your castle). It doesn't make sense to put an army - a whole army - into a city and expect things to be alright either. So where's your complaint that in Civ 4 your city wouldn't starve if an army is around and eventually swap ownership without the Army having to take it by force?

Truth is simple: It's a video game. It doesn't try to 100% accurately portrait battles, it tries to have fun mechanics mixed with immersion.

Either way, from a mechanical point of view defending cities works just fine.
You dont listen to me. I would not, and i dont like to sit behind the walls, damn it. I simply have to put a garrison in it. Are you familiar with common sense?
I dont expect things to be alright, i want to have more time for making right decisions and i want to have the possibility of drawing away as much enemy forces as i can from my least defended areas of empire's defense. Everyone, every one have the weakpoints in defense and strategically weak areas in overall empire's defense strategy, so dont tell me that it is my fault that i can't kill arty units that are endangering my city. Because lack of awacs units in game you have to be an oracle to predict on 100% enemy movements.
May be for you it is ok that a city can be taken the with 3-4 arty units, for it is a utter nonsense.....

You dont listen to me. I would not, and i dont like to sit behind the walls, damn it. I simply have to put a garrison in it. Are you familiar with common sense?
I dont expect things to be alright, i want to have more time for making right decisions and i want to have the possibility of drawing away as much enemy forces as i can from my least defended areas of empire's defense. Everyone, every one have the weakpoints in defense and strategically weak areas in overall empire's defense strategy, so dont tell me that it is my fault that i can't kill arty units that are endangering my city. Because lack of awacs units in game you have to be an oracle to predict on 100% enemy movements.
May be for you it is ok that a city can be taken the with 3-4 arty units, for it is a utter nonsense.....
Sounds to me like you're just bad at utilizing the tools that the game gives you. You seem to be the typical case of a person who has decided that everything is unfair and silly very early on and then never actually realized how to do it properly.

Which makes me very sad, I feel so sorry when something like that happens to people. Why does the world have to be so cruel?

Just finished my first game, I played 1 level below Apollo and um I felt like I was stomping on baby slugs. They didn't so much put up a fight as roll over and die when I looked at them.

First impression: I had a size 1 city with 135 production! I got the city up and tossed 4 trade routs his way to get the city started and bam I had over 100 production so I sent 1 more trade rout to it in order to make it the biggest producer in my empire. As the city grew its production decreased dramatically! :crazyeye:

trade routes were worth far more that production from tiles in my cities.

Coastal cities rock! So much better than the land equivalent. (Unless you have do defend them for some reason, but defending cities is the computer's job right):king:

Health fluctuates sooo much. Turn 100 I decided to go to war with positive health, turn 104 I had built an army and captured a few cities, health -40 ish. Turn 105 new virtue positive health. Turn 108 conquered 2 capitals -50 ish, turn 110 positive health for getting 5 all affinities. At one point in the game i had a 100 point health swing in 3 turns. 60 down 40 up.

Anyway my triple affinity, indecisive diplomacy trait, peaceful, warmongering, expansionist, strat netted me a 120 turn domination victory. I finished the beacon 2 turns before victory but decided not to activate it.

Are you sure this is the right forum ? Because I'm not sure in what game it's too hard to defend against 3-4 arty units.

i am not saying that it is hard to kill 3-4 arty units. I am saying that a city can be taken easily with 3-4 arty units which is an utter nonsense. We're done here.

Sounds to me like you're just bad at utilizing the tools that the game gives you. You seem to be the typical case of a person who has decided that everything is unfair and silly very early on and then never actually realized how to do it properly.

Which makes me very sad, I feel so sorry when something like that happens to people. Why does the world have to be so cruel?
Sounds like your just another firaxis funboy/girl, since you see only what you whant to see.

You seem to be the typical case of a person who has decided that everything is unfair and silly very early on and then never actually realized how to do it properly.
Dont worry about me. Show me the post where i am saying that something is unfair or where i am saying that i have the problems with understanding the game mechanics????:mad: Must repeat my self; if you want to rest in the clouds and convince yourself that a city can be taken by 3-4 arty units it is your choice. I dont blame you if you prefer such simplicity.

Dont worry about me. Show me the post where i am saying that something is unfair or where i am saying that i have the problems with understanding the game mechanics????:mad: Must repeat my self; if you want to rest in the clouds and convince yourself that a city can be taken by 3-4 arty units it is your choice. I dont blame you if you prefer such simplicity.
I'll just quote myself here:

Truth is simple: It's a video game. It doesn't try to 100% accurately portrait battles, it tries to have fun mechanics mixed with immersion.

But no, cities in CiV can literally not be taken "by 3-4 arti units", you need at least one melee-guy to move in and claim it. ;)

Looks like it finally has a flavour of its own now. I like the atmosphere and the new diplomacy system, which has the potential to be amazing when the kinks are ironed out.

However, seriously easy win on my first game. I was just ambling through it trying things out and I found I had mega amounts of energy, a massive army from recruiting defectors and loads of cities all over the place.... And all the AI's loved me to bits. I never killed an alien and turned them all blue and friendly rigt at the beginning.

So needs a bit more aggression and challenge

I always go Contact because it's just the easiest and least tedious, hands down.

On Apollo?

No, only a couple of slots above normal (can't remember the name) but for my first playthrough on a new set of rules really I would like to lose. Apollo should not be the new "normal" setting for strategy enthusiasts, or if it is there should be other settings above it.

However, to reiterate the positive I think the game is going in the right direction and I enjoyed my playthrough.

I dunno, to be honest. I'm a more casual enthusiast (I can play Apollo, but I personally find it tedious), so for maximum exploration I just go on Vostok. Sometimes Gemini. I definitely think Rising Tide still obeys the same rules, if you're good at gaming that then higher difficulty tiers are going to be necessary to maintain a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom