[RoM&AND] The Story of the Nile-Born

US_of_Alaska

Chieftain
Hey all, I've been around for a while now but haven't done much of anything. I found this forum this morning and i have to say i like the idea. So here I go, with my RoM&AND 18 Civs Earth Scenario on Prince and Marathon. I'm playing as Egypt, just in case that wasn't obvious. This is going to be a long story, by the way, as i plan on playing through to a Victory Condition or end game. Let's see how i go, shall we.

After discovering agriculture, the first Egyptian tribe was formed on the Western side of the Nile. The tribe called their home 'Mes-en Mew', or 'born of the water'. Alah-Skah was the first to organise the tribe into a functioning city, and he announced himself Chieftan of the Egyptians around 6000 BC. Alah-Skah immediately organised a group of warrior-scouts to map out the rest of the Nile River. The chieftan was already planning to expand his great country up and down these sacred waters. He also commanded the farmers of Egypt to work on creating some way to contain uneaten food. Finally, he announced construction of celebratory grounds, the centrepiece of which would be a great bonfire.

Spoiler :

In 5730 BC, the strangely cultured Persians arrived at our borders. Alah-Ska deemed the strangers harmless, but ordered a new group of warriors to be trained to protect the city nonetheless. The celebratory grounds were finished in the same year, and the people of Egypt developed a national culture and identity that brought together tribes from all along the Nile. However, the cottages of the Northwestern Oasis refused to join the growing nation yet. Alah-Skah told his people that they would soon come to their senses and join them, it was simply a matter of time.

Spoiler :

Surely enough, in 5676 BC, the cottages proclaimed their loyalty to Alah-Skah and the Egyptian Tribe. The warrior scouts continued to explore southwards down the Nile. The Egyptian Tribe was flourishing in their early years.
Spoiler :

In 5379 BC, the Warrior Scouts of Mes-en mew returned, with tales of enormous grey beasts with teeth extruding from their faces and stories of a great lake at the beginning of the Nile. These stories paved the way for a ritualism and spiritualism that the Egyptian people had never felt before. Minor mythologies arose about the Elephant Masters of the Great Nile River. In the same year, pottery was first invented by an Egyptian farmer and greatly improved the lives of the Egyptian people.

Over the next few hundred years, contact was made with the Greek, Roman and Spanish Tribes that lived across the Nile Sea. Interestingly, the Greeks and Romans knew nothing of the Nile and had called the large body of water the 'Mediterranean' after their ancestry. Alah-Skah banned use of the term within Egyptian borders. "The Nile is the birthplace of knowledge and prosperity, and all in this world revolves around the Great Nile River and it's people.", are the words he spoke to the Egyptian Tribe when they questioned this decision. After hearing this, the tribe was of course content and wondered how they had ever doubted Alah-Skah's wisdom. The Spanish Tribe seemed especially untrustworthy and even questioned the Nile's power. Alah-Skah severed all communication between Egyptians and the Spanish as a result. The people rejoiced at the strength of their leader's decision and grew to detest the Spanish Tribe and their ways.

By 4800 BC, Mes-en Mew had grown to house 6000 people, and an outpost had been built on the outskirts of the city to better watch for dangers and protect the people. The mythologies had grown and their were now various Elephant gods that were worshiped and hailed. Alah-Skah did not approve of this, and reminded the people that the folklore of Egypt was to respect the all-giving Nile River and all who call it home. This quelled the spiritualistic nature of the citizens somewhat, but it could not entirely destroy the ritualistic culture that had emerged among them.

Then the warrior scouts of Mew came across another tribe not dissimilar to their own. The Malinese were also a tribe astride a great river, and were located on the same landmass as the Egyptians. Alah-Skah proclaimed the Malinese to be friends of the Egyptians and encouraged continued relations with the people of Mali.

Good relations continued until it was discovered that the Mali people worshipped the Elephant Gods. The leader of the Malinese, Mansa Musa, had officially proclaimed that the state religion of the Mali people was Kemetism, worship and sacrifice to the Elephant Gods. This news shocked Alah-Skah, but he realised that cutting relations with the Mali tribe would be too dangerous to attempt without revolt from his own people. Alah-Skah merely grumbled about this fiasco and let things continue as they were.

The first trade caravan left Mes-en Mew in 4110 BC. It was headed towards the Malinese Tribe. Alah-Skah had given up hating the Malinese people, and was glad to let this new concept of 'trading' further grow the relationship between the Malinese and Egyptian people. His only fear was of Kemetism spreading to Mes-en Mew.

Spoiler :

The Persians had obviously learned of the Egyptians' greatness, as Cyrus of Persia began brokering technology trades and also opened the borders of the two countries. Alah-Skah was more than happy to trade with the Persian, as they were advanced and did not threaten to change the Nile Folklore that Alah-Skah swore to uphold. Another bunch of cottages was built on the shore of the Nile, to the North of Mes-en Mew. Alah-Skah was happy with the commerce that his pottery technology was creating for his tribe. He told the people to figure out some way to build upon the recent invention of fishing boats and create ships that could complete trade missions along the Nile River and Nile Sea.

Before 3100 BC, both the Arabian and Indian Civilizations had made contact with the Egyptians. Alah-Skah was suspicious towards the Arabian head of state and commented on the closeness that the two countries shared geographically. Most of the Egyptian Tribe shared his feelings of concern. In 3111 BC, Alah-Skah deemed the Egyptian Nation to be a city-state rather than a mere tribe.

'Today we head into a civilized future. A future full of joy and prosperity on the banks of the Nile.', was his closing comment at the celebration.

Spoiler :

Unfortunately, once Sailing technology had been perfected, the Illyrian Pirates had taken over the Nile Sea and the Egyptians could not take part in trade with anyone through that route. As the Malinese Tribe was too far away for a road connection to be viable, Alah-Skah commanded that progress be made in other sectors. Flood plains farmers had recently discovered stone south of Mes-en Mew, and all research capabilities were to be put to use trying to figure out a way to harvest and effectively use the material.

Finally, the Egyptians created their own system of writing. Alah-Skah called it Nile-Wefa, meaning Nile Talk. The invention of this system was a cause for great celebration, and opened up new trade opportunities for the Egyptian people. They bargained an Open Borders agreement with the Malinese, and traded techs with the Indians and Malinese to learn the inner workings of working with animals and working with metals. Both of these technological advancements aided with the discovery of horse and copper within Mes-en Mew's borders. Alah-Skah was greatly pleased, and ordered construction on a copper mine to begin upon completion of the stone quarry.

Spoiler :

The ever-annoying Spanish asked for the secrets of Nile-Wefa just before the year 2030 BC. Alah-Skah laughed at this demand and told the Spanish to not contact him again. The quarry was completed and construction on the copper mine began. The Elephant Mythologies were starting to re-emerge in Mes-en Mew, and Alah-Skah started his highest tribesmen on spreading the Nile Folklore. He hoped that the people of Egypt would return to the knowledge that the Nile River had entrusted them with. Over time the Nile Folklore became more powerful.

Finally, the Nile Folklore and Mythologies were united into one religion: Zoroastrianism. It was not Alah-Skah who finally created the religion, but the teacher Zoroaster. He taught all of the people of Mes-en Mew how all life emerged from the water, and the people of Egypt had come from the mightiest river of all: The Nile. This set of teachings finally overpowered the Elephant Mythologies, and any chance that Kemetism might reach the city was destroyed when Alah-Skah cut the open borders agreement and all trade deals with the Malinese people. The people of Mes-en Mew grew to despise Kemetism, as it opposed all of the teachings of Zoroaster. Soon the idea was put forward that Alah-Skah should step down as leader of the Egyptian people, and let the Great Teacher of Zoroastrianism himself take his place.

Spoiler :

There was much debate over this, and eventually a small civil war broke out in Mes-en Mew. The anarchy lasted 30 years, with the execution of Alah-Skah. Zoroaster promised to lead Egypt in great new directions, starting with the destruction of the Malinese and Kemetism. "They and their heathen religion shall be extinguished! Hear me, children of the Nile!" The speech marked the beginning of the war between the Egyptians and the Malinese.

Spoiler :

Zoroaster demanded construction of another city south of Mes-en Mew. He named it 'Waf' or 'Bend', as it was on a large bend of the Nile River.

Spoiler :

I've just read it, and i have a one question, why you didn't found waf 1W?

Could you explain what that bluish mineral 2 Southwest of Waf is? That would be much appreciated.

I've just read it, and i have a one question, why you didn't found waf 1W?
I really don't like having to deal with the negative health effects of having a lead resource (which is what the bluish stuff is, Danjuno), and i figure i'll be less tempted to mine it if i don't get it under my control right away. I have enough unhealthiness to deal with as it is, thanks to all those flood plains.

And the next installment will be coming up soon.

Zoroaster ordered construction of three chariots to attempt to take the Malinese city of Timbuktu, and destroy Kemetism once and for all. He named the chariots 'Chariots of Mew', 'Chariots of the Nile', and 'Chariots of Zoroaster'. At Timbuktu, the three chariots obtained victory far easier than anyone had expected. This pleased Zoroaster and the people of Mes-en Mew greatly, and the strength of the people's faith increased. Timbuktu was burnt to the ground in the year 1383 BC. In the few years beforehand, Germany, Rome and Spain converted to Hinduism. The people of Egypt did not know what this religion involved, but they knew that it differed from Zoroaster's teachings and was therefore obviously wrong. All communication and ties with these nations were cut. Over the Nile Sea, the Greeks had come to appreciate the teachings of Zoroaster and converted shortly afterwards. From Greece Zoroastrianism spread to Russia, and both civilizations were offered open borders agreements. They accepted without hesitation. After these successful affairs, Zoroaster crowned himself monarch of Egypt and proclaimed that he and his birthline shall forever rule the people born of the Nile.

Spoiler :

After the all-to-simple defeat of the Malinese, Zoroaster was convinced that the Egyptians should look for military exploits in other areas. He quietly began to plan a hostile takeover of Mecca, capital and only city of the Arabians. The three War Chariots responsible for the razing of Timbuktu were sent to scout the area, proclaiming peace the entire journey. They returned to Mes-en Mew with the news that the Arabians had invested in a small army of spearmen, and that going after the city with Chariots was nothing short of suicide. King Zoroaster ordered research into better melee weapons, and it was not long before the first platoon of axemen were equipped in Mes-en Mew. At this stage, the king fell ill and handed control of the nation over to his son, Zoroaster II. Zoroaster II was determined to capture Mecca before his father died, and prove to him that he would be a worthy king. To this end he created a new military policy, where all able-bodied men would be conscripted into the Egyptian army in times of need. Once accepted by the people, this became a powerful tool for the Egyptian Nation.

Spoiler :

The conscripted soldiers did a fine job at the battle of Mecca, with the deaths of only one platoon and a handful of other axemen. On the day that the new reached Mes-en Mew, Zoroaster died. At his funeral Zoroaster II told the public that once he heard that the Nile-Born Egyptians had won the war, he was at peace. The chariots returned to the neutral territory between Mecca and Mes-en Mew to again await orders. One general pondered how he could make a miniature city for temporary residence by military units. This thought was taken to Mes-en Mew and studied, eventually resulting in the invention of forts.

Spoiler :

Zoroaster II found that Mecca was not as good a venture as he had hoped. It took many years of turmoil and revolt for the city to finally become productive, and once this was achieved the only thing the city could manage was to create a fleet of galleys to fight of the army of barbarian ships that were terrorizing their fishing ships. In other areas, the kingdom was developing well. The road from Mecca to Mes-en Mew to Waf was almost completed, and the fort above what was now being called the 'Meccan Sea' was finished in the year 573 BC. As unrest grew in Mecca, Zoroaster began to think that maybe there was a better way for power to be shared amongst his cities. He ordered his greatest minds to think of a way that each city's governor could have a say in the running of the kingdom.

Around 530 BC, the Vedic Aryans invaded Egypt from the south. The war chariots managed to head them off at the Ivory Camp, thanks to the new road system. Their victory was cause for great celebration in Waf, and throughout the Egyptian Kingdom.

Spoiler :

The first act of the Egyptian Senate was to move all assets towards the birthplace of the new heathen religion Naghualism. Zoroaster II declared a crusade against the German Naghuals in 330 BC, and his army of axemen, war elephants and war chariots moved through the German Nation looking for cities infected with the Naghual disease. Munich was the first to fall, and with the destruction of this city came the destruction of Germany's image in the world, and soon the Russians came forth from their motherland to help their Egyptian brothers of the water. Even the Roman and Mongolian heathens joined the war, with hope of plundering the rich cities or capturing new territories. In light of their victories and the fact that the senate was responsible, Zoroaster officially changed the name of the Egyptian Kingdom to the 'Republic of Egypt'.

Spoiler :

During the war, when military assets were elsewhere, barbarians ravaged through the southern and western sections of Egypt. Zoroaster II was caught off-guard and quickly conscripted some axemen platoons to fight off the hordes of spearmen looking to plunder the riches of the Nile-Born Nation. By 177 BC, the barbarians had been destroyed by the conscripted army. The crusade was continuing in Germany, and the army had left the city of Hamburg after discovering it to have not been touched by Naghualism. It was a good year on all fronts, with good progress being made into German country as well as the bond with Russia growing ever stronger through the combined war effort. Zoroaster II made it clear to the Romans that having a common enemy did not make them friends in any way.

The German capital was the next to succumb to the Egyptian Crusade. It and it's Hindu inhabitants were burnt to nothingness. This battle cost the army a platoon of War Elephants. Germany was nearly rid of it's heathen religions, there were only three cities left in the empire and one was clean of any religion. The Egyptian army marched into Russian territory, where they could be given better treatment for their many wounds.

Zoroaster II was succeeded by his son Zoroaster III in 69 BC. Zoroaster III did not find the war in Germany to be of ample value, and instead insisted that the Hindu holy city of Paris needed to be destroyed. After trying to convince the senate of this course of action, it was finally a request from the Indians that finally tipped the scales in his direction. The war in Germany was abandoned and the war on France begun. Zoroaster III founded a city above the Nile Lake, and named it 'Seseh' (meaning 'Destruction') after the exploits of the Egyptian Army in Germany.
Spoiler :

The beginning of the common era was marked, at least in Egypt, with the construction of the first Brahmin Library in Waf. For the first time in the history of the nation, dates were recorded onto Papyrus Scrolls, alongside important events. The idea had come from the Persians, and the Egyptians adjusted their records to correlate with the time-frames outlined in the Persian ones, so that perhaps a global common era could be chosen. The battle of Paris went horribly wrong for the Egyptians, with the loss of all but a few chariots and axemen, and the army did all they could to hold their ground until reinforcements arrived from Mes-en Mew.

Within ten years, the few troops that had been left in France were rounded up and publicly executed in Paris. This did little to quell the rage of Zoroaster III, and all cities were put into military mode, churning out conscripted light swordsman for the second attempt at a crusade. The next wave were stopped halfway to Paris by the treacherous Romans, who had cancelled the open borders agreement with and declared war on the Egyptians! Zoroaster III simply channeled all his war efforts towards Antium, but it was clear that unless some way to break down fortifications was discovered, the war would prove fruitless.

Unfortunately, I seem to have dug myself a terrible hole while playing this game. Religious victory is too high a goal for me just yet. Anyways, the next story post will be the last post for this game, and i'll start another one with a little less ambition. I'm thinking i'll go with Persia, as they always seem to be high on the scoreboard in my games. So, if you liked this story (which it appears not many did :sad:) then look out for a Persian RoM&AND story in the near future.

The economic strain that the war in Rome produced was too much for the Egyptians, and so in a final grasp for glory Zoroaster III sent all of his swordsmen into Antium. The Egyptians were mutilated in this battle. The people of Egypt were disgusted at Zoroaster III's acts, and angry mobs took to the Royal Palace and House of the Senate. Both were destroyed by the rage of the citizens, and when no one stepped up to take place as ruler the Egyptian Republic collapsed into civil war. The cities fought amongst themselves until there was little left of the once great nation but the teachings of Zoroaster, and even they had become weak.

Spoiler :

Fail like Dan Quayle. Out.

Top Bottom