Same Civ IV problems reoccuring on older games

Calder

Warlord
Civ IV (v1.52) still either freezes up with a loud noise through the speakers and requiring a hard boot, or CTD with errors saying 'Your system has run out of video memory' followed by a 'run time error'. This happens randomly, whether I'm on my 5th turn of a new game, or (more often) late in the game. All graphics settings low, low res textures.
Having just given up playing Civ IV until a new patch comes out, (sick of rebooting 50 times a day) I decided to play some old games. Installed Civ III Conquests -can't get five minutes of play in without the same noisy freeze-up as with Civ IV. Installed Risk II - exactly the same problem. Now I'm wondering whether to uninstall Civ IV and see if these older games work, or uninstall the NVidia driver v81.98 and use an older driver. My system has been through the mill this past month so I can virtually eliminate any hardware fault or lack of sufficient cooling/air flow.
System: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum m/b, GeForce 7800GTX 256mb card, 2Gig RAM.
Has anyone else had the same Civ IV problems reoccuring in other games?

Calder said:
Civ IV (v1.52) still either freezes up with a loud noise through the speakers and requiring a hard boot, or CTD with errors saying 'Your system has run out of video memory' followed by a 'run time error'. This happens randomly, whether I'm on my 5th turn of a new game, or (more often) late in the game. All graphics settings low, low res textures.
Having just given up playing Civ IV until a new patch comes out, (sick of rebooting 50 times a day) I decided to play some old games. Installed Civ III Conquests -can't get five minutes of play in without the same noisy freeze-up as with Civ IV. Installed Risk II - exactly the same problem. Now I'm wondering whether to uninstall Civ IV and see if these older games work, or uninstall the NVidia driver v81.98 and use an older driver. My system has been through the mill this past month so I can virtually eliminate any hardware fault or lack of sufficient cooling/air flow.
System: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum m/b, GeForce 7800GTX 256mb card, 2Gig RAM.
Has anyone else had the same Civ IV problems reoccuring in other games?

I haven't had problems with other games, but i wanted to ask you... what is your agp aperture setting at in your BIOS?

Fatty.

At the moment the problem most likely stems from a corrupt multimedia file. Received an email from Take2 support and they told me to change memsaver from 0 to 1, so I'll be testing out Civ IV this weekend. (Work too many hours during the week to play any games.) I've got a technician coming out on Friday to check system files and he feels sure problem is no longer hardware related. I'll get him to check the bios settings while he's here.

Okay, changing the memorysave option in the configeraton from 0 to 1 gave me this error, after actually being able to Alt-Ctrl-Delete for the first time after a freeze up:
Fatal Error: Using the MemorySave option in your configeration does not allow device loss. Exiting program.
Waiting on further assistance from Take2. Have now installed a new hard drive, 4 extra fans, a new PSU (400W), and now after still being unable to play Civ III, IV or Risk without a crash, have ordered a new motherboard! (At least I haven't had to pay anything for all these). The technician did quite a few tests which resulted in a some bios inconsistancies leading him to suspect faulty mobo.

Top Bottom