Guangzhou begins: Grocer choice was Knight

Paris grows: 11
Yaroslavl' grows: 3

Turn 2 (1892 AD)
Beijing finishes: Rifleman
Bactrian grows: 9 and grows unhealthy.
Nanjing finishes: University

Turn 3 (1893 AD)
Beijing begins: Rifleman choice was Hermitage and I'd rather build it someplace else that needs culture and rather build Oxford University in Beijing.
Nanjing begins: Market choice was Rifleman
Bactrian finishes: Lighthouse
Lyons finishes: Knight

Turn 4 (1894 AD)
Bactrian begins: Grocer choice was Rifleman
Lyons begins: Theatre choice was Rifleman
Where the heck were all these riflemen choices when we were at war?
Giza finishes: Catapult
Paris finishes: Forbidden Palace
Xian finishes: Courthouse

IBT: With the completions above, we pick up about 20 additional gold per turn!

Turn 5 (1895 AD)
Giza begins: Taoist Temple choice was Catapult
Paris begins: Hermitage choice was Rifleman
Xian begins: Buddhist Temple choice was Rifleman
Guangzhou grows: 12 and grows unhealthy
Uzbek finishes: Library

Turn 6 (1896 AD)
Uzbek begins: Taoist Temple choice was Rifleman

Turn 7 (1897 AD)

IBT: Alexander declares war on Napoleon. We can expect a request for help soon. He's friendly with us and Nappy has only 2 cites left -- Memphis and Dijon which is an ice town west of our south-westernmost city (well, not counting Yakutsk). I start a small invasion force from our core cities (upgrading a CG1 archer to rifleman in Beijing for safety) and we can decide when they arrive at the border. A lot of our army is stuck in Yakutsk, completely surrounded by Russian territory and there's no way we'll ever get Open Borders with Peter. I trade fur for 3g/turn with Peter and 1g/turn for sheep with Napoleon. Alexander doesn't want to trade anything yet in exchange for declaring on France.

Turn 8 (1898 AD)
Beijing grows: 19
Beijing finishes: Rifleman
Xian grows: 6
Rouen finishes: Knight

Turn 9 (1899 AD)
Beijing begins: Oxford University Yes! Choice was Rifleman.
Rouen begins: Library choice was Knight.
Rifleman promoted: City Garrison I
Lyons grows: 8
Krasnoyarsk's borders expand

IBT: Memphis is captured by Alex. Our Knight arrives at the border of Dijon (how can a population-1 ice city have had 3 border pops already?) but he can't see any sign of French or Greek troops.

Turn 10 (1900 AD)

Any units you find out in the open are intended to move to Dijon. We should decide now on what to do when Alex asks for help. We still can't get anything in trade for declaring. I've been running binary science and there's enough gold to run at 100% science for 2 turns. Biology is due in about 6 turns at our current rate of 2 on/2 off.

good turns. this will be my last post for 2 weeks so i think you should kill peter with the help of someone like alex. if you have enough pop u could try for dimplomatic. i'll let you build SS parts if u need to.

OK sorry about the delays but I've got it.

Initial thoughts are that we're losing the tech war really badly, economy is shot and the AI still wants to build out of date military :goodjob: .

We're in no state to declare on Peter yet (he has a DP with Genghis). Best bet may be to get a PA with Alexander.

A beeline to Assembly Line might be our best bet. Once Biology is in I go for Constitution which is on the way (that or Astronomy). Trade Biology to Alex for Steam Power +240gp.

About 5 turns in I started getting decent options to build and even was ordered to build a bank in Kushans (2 turns after getting the choice of a knight or Confucian Academy).

In 1907 Napolean is wiped out by Alexander. I immediately enter into a Defensive Pact with him.

Nothing else of note to report.

Here's how I think we can win. Techwise head for Industrialism for infantry (can upgrade maces and grens to infantry). Hope the AI is kind in choices. The other tech we need is either Communism or fascism to enable Permanent Alliances, which we should be close to getting with Alex. We need to keep the Defensive pact going and keep him friendly and we should get it. We then get all his techs as well.

The Save

View attachment 134979

I'll expand on Ozz's idea.

Looking over at the save, we currenly have 24.65% of the population. The world leader holds 34%, and that's Ghengis, and in demographics, it said we were third. Logically, this means that, if we get Alex in a PA, we'll hold between 49.3% to 58.64% of the world's population.
(That is, assuming Alex is second. Please be second, Alexou!)
Something that would allow us to snag a diplomatic victory, if simply being in a PA with him doesn't give us domination for land area.

Of course, all of this depends on the Machine Lord's infinite wisdom. Let us hope He does not give us the choice between Medicine and Divine Right next!

I think the 24 hours are well past by now. Unfortunately, I'm busy right now and I'll be visiting Ottawa for the weekend, so if someone can take over, go right ahead. Either way...

1/6.sand (Away for a while)
2.ozbenno (should be up, but just played)
3.frankor (up?)
4.Ralph_Jackson (???? It was your turn!)
5.Akuma-sama (AFK for the weekend)

...Hn... maybe we could call someone in?

Many apologgies I thought you were up Akuma :blush: and had read your post on the 7th as picking up the save. Anyway I can play tonight and post on Saturday.

Ralph

Pre-Turn

At last the Machine Gods plan started to become clear to its minions. After High Priest Sands departure confusion had raged for days as Sands Acolytes had forgotten that they ought to be paying attention and trying to further the Machine Gods plans. High Priest Akuma had restored order by giving Ralph a well deserved kick in the rear to get things moving again!!!

So where are we:-

Our Economy would make Zimbabawe look like a capitalist paradise.
Our Military has the resistive qualities of a wet tissue…

But we have a DP with Alexander which should keep us OK and if we can unlock PA’s, keep Alex happy but not score leader then who knows… This would take time and would Genghis / Peter decide to squash us like flies in the interim. Who knows…

We were offered a lot of choices like this one, between outmoded military and fairly useless temple style buildings… Though sometime’s the AI made it easy for us by just offering the outdate Military with no alternative : )

But we were offered the most important choice we needed which was to start researching Communism to unlock PA’s which I gratefully accepted…

We also popped a Great Merchant to sit with our 2 sleeping Great Engineers. Why the Machine hadn’t instructed us to burn one On Oxford University remains a mystery. With such a Plethora of Great people riches I decided to start a GA, keeping a GE if we ever get offered something to burn him on.

The main logic behind the GA is to get us to PA’s quicker as the whole outlook of the game will change once we have a PA with Alex. Due to the machine Gods master strategy and some good diplomacy from the players :goodjob: we are in the ideal spot for a PA as neither Alex or us are the score leader so hopefully he will go for it.

We have 7 GA turns left and 1 turn left on Communism. As punishment for me forgetting it was my turn the next player may get to see if we can do a PA with Alex. We will probably have to wait another 20 turns or so but who knows.

Now to try and prevent me forgetting its my turn next time here is what I think the Roster is.

Ralph – trying to remember when to play
Frankcor – UP to get things moving
Akuma – On Deck and in charge of prodding me if I forget again
Ozbenno – wondering why he hasn’t been up for days
Sand – Working out he can only trust Akuma to keep his SG Moving

Just wanna say that I'm back from Ottawa.

I don't think the Machine Lord gives us suggestions as to what to burn our GEs on (good, or else we'd probably have lost a few to, say, a bunch of temples...), so it's really up to the players. I say we keep our Beijing GE until we get to the REALLY expensive wonders... or the UN!

Inherited Turn (1920 AD)
Tech learned: Communism
Shanghai finishes: Knight
Paris finishes: University
Lyons grows: 10
Lyons finishes: Library
Yakutsk finishes: Hindu Temple

IBT:

The Machine God urges us to revolt in the middle of freakin' GOLDEN AGE???? Well, it sure didn't take long to get my nomination for :smoke: move of the gameset. We're now revolting. Or have we been revolting all along?

Turn 1 (1921 AD)
Knight promoted: Combat I
Research begun: Corporation Choice was Astronomy
Shanghai begins: Knight <-- no choice
Paris begins: Knight <-- no choice
Lyons begins: Catapult <-- no choice
Yakutsk begins: Knight <-- no choice

Turn 2 (1922 AD) Permanent alliance is not available yet with Alexander. We come out of revolt. I shut down research to build up some cash for upgrading our Longbowmen to Riflemen. It'll take 3 turns.

Turn 3 (1923 AD)
Bactrian finishes: Bank
Paris grows: 14

Turn 4 (1924 AD)
Bactrian begins: Barracks <-- no choice
Beijing finishes: Knight
Shanghai finishes: Knight
Guangzhou finishes: Rifleman

IBT: Alex offers a deal.

Still no Permanent Alliance available.

Turn 5 (1925 AD)
Rifleman promoted: City Garrison I <-- oh geeze
Tech learned: Astronomy
Beijing begins: Observatory <-- no choice
Shanghai begins: Confucian Temple <-- no choice
Guangzhou begins: Observatory <-- no choice
Nanjing finishes: Knight
Lyons finishes: Catapult

Turn 6 (1926 AD)
Nanjing begins: Confucian Temple <-- no choice
Lyons begins: Forge <-- no choice
Guangzhou grows: 14
Bactrian grows: 11
Bactrian finishes: Barracks
Kushans finishes: Bank
Uzbek grows: 12 <-- and grows unhealthy
Paris grows: 15 <-- and grows unhealthy
Paris finishes: Knight
Golden Age ends

IBT: Ghengis Khan completes broadway.

Turn 7 (1927 AD)
Bactrian begins: Observatory <-- no choice
Kushans begins: Market <-- no choice
Paris begins: Observatory <-- no choice
Paris's borders expand

Turn 8 (1928 AD) Upgrades are complete. I also upgraded all our remaining Pikemen and Macemen to Grenadiers while I was at it. There's one Chariot remaining that can probably wait until Cavalry are available.
Giza finishes: Taoist Temple
Orleans finishes: Rifleman
Rouen grows: 9

IBT: Ghengis Khan completes the Pentagon.

Turn 9 (1929 AD)
Giza begins: Theatre <-- choice was Knight
Orleans begins: Observatory <-- choice was Knight
Shanghai grows: 12
Nanjing finishes: Confucian Temple
Lyons grows: 11

Turn 10 (1930 AD)
Nanjing begins: Observatory Choice was Knight
Permanent Alliance appears as a choice in Alex's column now, even though it is red.
I cut this deal with Peter.

Well, that was a boring waste of a Golden Age ... er ... I mean, I stand in awe at the wisdom of the Machine God!. Corporation is due in about 2 turns. I was running binary research so the next player will have to turn the slider down some because I used up all the available cash. Good luck!

This is my Got It, I'll play tommorow 'cuz tonight my eyes are heavy and

Back, sorry, eyes fell off. Reminds me I need to clean the floor.
Anyways. Blame not the Machine Lord for the partial(?) waste of our Golden Age, for the fault rests entirely upon we foolish disciples! We really should have remembered about State Property and Communism, and this was the Machine Lord's way of reminding us.
I bow and venerate the tester, the Lord, and my bed. 'night.

Turn 00 inspection

Economic Situation: We’re getting 46 GPT… at 70% research rate.
Research Situation:

…right. 'nuff said.
Military Situation: We’ve got brave Riflemen, mighty and well-trained knights, and fearsome Catapults. Peter, who hates our guts, protects the worthless ice city of Khabarovsk with 2 SAM infantry and, as we know, he’s got artillery.
Diplomatic Situation: Ghengis likes us, but is in a DP with Peter, who hates our guts. Alexander is very pleased with the veneration we give him, yet won’t make a Defensive Pact because he doesn’t like us enough.
Overall situation: Our chances aren’t quite like those of a snowball in hell, but it’s at the very least a drop of rain on the way down a volcano’s gullet.

Seeing as the UN can’t be very far away (and hoping the Peter isn’t the one to score it!), my goal is to achieve a permanent alliance with Alexander during my 10 turns. In that purpose, I trade whales for nothing (We’ve got 21 happy in our smallest city, so I guess it’s alright to lose some) to Alex before I hit enter.

Turn 01 (542)

Confuscian temple finishes in the ever-speedy city of Shanghai, and having to choose between building a Catapult for rock-throwing races or investing in an Observatory to see the fastest-moving things in the known universe and start betting on Meteorite races, they pick the latter, since they’re quite tired of rock races. Jubilant at the occasion given to them by the Machine Lord, the Shangaians or Shenagians or Shenanigans or however they’re called celebrate the “We Love the Machine Lord day”.
And that’s… it?

Turn 02 (543)

Corporation is in, and our economy jumps to +60 gpt at 70%. The choice we’re given is between Military Tradition and Democracy. The latter is picked, even though it’ll lead to Revolt when it comes in. Between his precious defence pact with Ghengis and our own DP with Alex, Peter won’t dare declare on us, no matter how much he hates our guts.
…I hope.
Democracy due in 8 after pushing our research rate to 80%, at +2 GPT.

Beijing finishes an observatory, and the Machine Lord proclaims that we do, indeed, require more Knights. Humbled by this wise and truthful decision, I immediately concede to His brilliant strategy. Knight due in 5.
Also in Beijing, Li Po, the great artist, is born. Ignoring his voiced and poetic demands to be spent on something useful immediately, he is told to sit on his ass until we get another Great Person to sacrifice for a GA. He and Joseph Marie Blanchard meet, and together they will grow to form one of the strangest architectural pair in the world, with Blanchard using Po’s poems for inspiration. We’re lucky, however, that Poe or, far worse, Pablo Picasso weren’t chosen to be born by the Machine Lord’s ever-wise plan. Hallelujah!

Turn 03 (544)
Xian finishes its Forge, and following the trail of Shaniangai, gets started on its own Observatory. Never shall the Shinobangaians possess something that the Great City of Xian would not!
Well, except for about Eight-Hundred and Nineteen Thousand people… And the Heroic Epic… and more than twice as much culture…

Peter adopts Free Speech, allowing him to freely tell us what he thinks about us. Unfortunately for him, we’re still in Nationhood, and thus speak as a nation by flipping him the finger.

And that’s it.

Turn 04 (545)

Guangzhou finishes its observatory, and the choice I’m given is between a catapult and a Confuscian Academy. I pick the former, because the Academy’s culture might piss off Ghengis a bit, and because, in the eternal words of the Oracle of Uzbek, “Catapuu Bam Bam! Hahaha!”.
Catapult in 2.

And talking about Uzbek, the Brutish Brutes finish their Grocer among much consternation and questions about why people would bother putting all their goods in easily pickable spots where they can’t defend them properly, and even give them away in exchange of a few shiny coins. The mayor, a slightly smarter Brute than the rest of the Brutes, orders the construction of an observatory near the topless beach, in order to have a better view to watch the women.
Observatory in 15.

The ever-frozen people of Rouen rejoice around their brand new Forge and the warmth it offers. Things quickly go sour, however, when the Forge’s smoke covers the city and prevents the sun from touching down. In an effort to create an area where people can warm themselves with sunlight, they order the building of a Lighthouse.
Lighthouse in 4, other choice was Knight.

And Peter completes the Apollo program!
Can you hear this sound? It’s the bells of D00m.

Turn 05 (546)

Seeing as the end is approaching quickly, I offer free Fur to Alex, hoping he’ll agree for a Permanent Alliance before the end. No dice.

Turn 06 (547)

Guangzhou finishes its Catapult. Once again, I’m offered to build the academy or outdated military, this time a Knight. And once again, the latter is chosen for the very same reasons.

Observatory finishes at Bactrian, the choice is between a Knight and Wall Street. Seeing as the city doesn’t seem to be the richest ever, I pick the Knight.

I looked over the techs we need to get the UN: Physics, Radio, Mass Media. Peter already most likely has it seeing as he has Robotics, and if it wasn’t that he seems to be aiming for a space win, I’d say that we’re screwed. As it is, we’re probably screwed.

Turn 07 (548)

Beijing finishes its knight, and the only choice the Machine Lord gives us is another Knight. Woot. Due in 4.
Vladivostok finishes its courthouse, and I’m given a choice between a Knight, which is ignored, and a Jewish temple, which is picked, if only for the culture.

Jeanne D’Arc is born in Paris! With her (Great Prophet), we can start a new GA. However, democracy comes in in 3 turns, bringing revolt with it, so let’s keep her in check.

Turn 08 (549)

Paris, ville lumière, completes its Observatory to look at other lights. For the first time, the Machine Lord gives us a good choic
For the millionth time, the ever-wise Machine God blesses us with His gr
HELP, thEY,re gonna k
Blesses us with His Great and Brilliant Plan which you should never, ever doubt lest you fall prey to the Inquisition (when you least expect it, of course), our Lord and Master gives us permission to build an Aqueduct in the Filthy ex-French city of Paris. Praise be the Lord, 010001010.

The Cloudy City of Rouen, still unable to see through the smoke of their forge, decide to build an observatory out of nostalgia, to remind themselves of what the sun looked like.
Observatory in 22 turns, other choice was Knight.

Turn 09 (550)

Jewish Temple finishes in Yaroslavl’, and between a Knight and a Temple, the latter is picked. Good thing, too, because that city needs serious culture.

Turn 10 (551)
Democracy is in, Revolution to Emancipation starts.
And we’re… forced to choose between Divine Right and Military Tradition! :mad:
Military tradition in 3999 turns. Gotta love revolutions.
Observatory finishes in Nanjing, and we’re only given a Knight as a choice. Damn.
Knight in 135 turns. Viva la Revolutione.
Market finishes in Kushans and---WHA?!

NO CHOICE GIVEN! :eek:
Taking this as a freebie, I make Kushan start on a Granary since it’s just about at the health limit, but the next player may overthrow my decision and pitch me down the lion’s pit.

Alex starts a GA… which could be good, I guess…

And I’m done.

Summary

Peter has the Space Elevator. This means that we’re in deep, deep Kimchi. Alex still won’t accept a PA, despite the freebies I gave him. That means we’re in deep Surströming. We have, however, Democracy, which Alex would be willing to trade for, and could get Steel (Or finish Military Tradition to get another shot at Physics) from it.
As soon as the revolt stops, I suggest we use up our GE, GA and GP for our Second Great Age. It probably won’t save us, but it can’t hurt.

Our priority is to get Mass Media and the UN. We need it badly. We must ignore Steel and all other tech course than those leading to Mass Media, or Peter will win. Hence, I recommend that whoever goes next trades Democracy for Military Tradition (Can we get more than +4 out of “Fair trade”? Might be worth a try to intentionally tilt the trade in his favor), to get another shot at getting Physics. Everyone else already has Steel, so it’s pretty much useless at this point.

Here’s the save, and there you go.

We need to ensure Alex gets democaracy of us so that we don't generate emancipation unhappiness in his cities or he definitely won't like us!!

Of course we are probably still up to our neck in do do's with no wayout but who knows, you do need quite a few turns in the DP with PA unlocked for a civ to agree to it so it maybe alright if we keep Alex happy for a few more turns, but I am being hopelessly optimistic.

Ralph

:mad: Its all anarchy as they say!

At least when Militayr Tradition comes in we won't be building endless streams of Knights.

I get a free pick in Beijing. I pick a rifleman.

I start a GA.

We get told to build Wall Street in Shanghai.

In fact, every single build I have is a single pick (mainly observatories).

Still nothing with Alex. We may have to switch civics to Hereditary Rule to get this PA. He also won't declare on Peter and Genghis won't stop trading with Peter.

Military Tradition comes in and we get .... Divine Right and Steel (the two techs Alex has we don't) :mad: . I go Divine Right as it is 2 and then will never come up again.

Finally it is here.

And so it ends (well my 10 anyway). I really don't know where to go from here. We may just have to bite the bullet and declare and hope our thousands of knights are enough. Larger numbers of troops can sometimes work. Who an I kidding?:lol: :lol:

The Save

View attachment 135788

OK got it, might be Thrusday pm before I can play / post a report.

Ralph

Considering they all have infantry by now, our Numberless Knights(TM) will probably die by the dozens... but whatever. If the Machine Lord does not give us the key to a Diplomatic victory, then we shall take this as a sign that he wants us to CHARGE at their guns and cannons with our swords, horses and bravery! Lots of Bravery! And Whisky! And Dry Gin! And lots of other 40% liquor!

...who am I kidding? We're d00med.

Top Bottom