Saveconvert - change various settings in save file

I hate to sound like a total newb but how do you install this application? When I open it up all I see is a dos window that I'm supposed to type something into and I don't know what or if I am supposed to.

Another noob question... Where do you find the instructions for the program? When I use it it just shuts down after it asks: "what is the maximum number of players this game allows? [18] Whatever I answer to that the program and commandpromt just shuts down.

I'm starting FfH 2 MP game and I'm testing how to change the settings so that we can keep the game going constantly but play intesively once a week.

Thanks for the answers

I did a little search here, but couldn't come up with anything more relevant than this topic. (The one-search-per-minute restriction doesn't help.)

The question is: what is the Civ4SavedGame format?
Is it documented somewhere, or reverse-engineered by Gyathaar?

Another noob question... Where do you find the instructions for the program? When I use it it just shuts down after it asks: "what is the maximum number of players this game allows? [18] Whatever I answer to that the program and commandpromt just shuts down.

I'm starting FfH 2 MP game and I'm testing how to change the settings so that we can keep the game going constantly but play intesively once a week.

Thanks for the answers
I am guessing that FfH2 adds some extra game options to the save that the program cant easilly detect (like FfH1 also did)
If the program tries to parse the save with wrong number of game options it will crash right after the question for how many players (which looks like it shuts down)

Will see about adding some code so it can make some guesses here for better results.. but wont be for another few days when I return from vacation

I did a little search here, but couldn't come up with anything more relevant than this topic. (The one-search-per-minute restriction doesn't help.)

The question is: what is the Civ4SavedGame format?
Is it documented somewhere, or reverse-engineered by Gyathaar?
Originally it was reverse engineered by mostly GOTM and HOF staff members (and a few others)..
nowadays you can find most of the save game format in the SDK thou...

Originally it was reverse engineered by mostly GOTM and HOF staff members (and a few others)..
nowadays you can find most of the save game format in the SDK thou...
I downloaded the SDK (27 Mb of C++ source files), where should I look for the savefile format reference?

read and write functions in the various class files... ;)
Obviously I did a search through them before posting here.
Even the string "Civ4SaveGame" doesn't occur anywhere in the sources.
They also refer to abstract methods CvDLLEngineIFaceBase::SaveGame and CvDLLUtilityIFaceBase::SaveGame, which are likely implemented elsewhere.
I'm concluding from here that the savefile handling code is missing from the public sources.
Did I download the right SDK? If yes, where should I really look for the savefile access functions?

hi

i have a problem changing the turn timer.
i save the changes, but when i start the game, the turn timer has not changed.
but if i open the previously saved savegame, the convertertool shows mit the correct wanted turn timer.

i attach the savegame;

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• problem.Civ4SavedGame
    333.5 KB · Views: 282
hi

i have a problem changing the turn timer.
i save the changes, but when i start the game, the turn timer has not changed.
but if i open the previously saved savegame, the convertertool shows mit the correct wanted turn timer.

i attach the savegame;

thanks for your help!
See the answer to the exact same question in posts number 6 and 52..

Wasn't expecting a DOS program. It wouldn't bother me any if I had any idea to which commands it would respond. A very user-unfriendly interface earns a thumbs down from me.

Wasn't expecting a DOS program. It wouldn't bother me any if I had any idea to which commands it would respond. A very user-unfriendly interface earns a thumbs down from me.

Good thing you didn't pay for it. ;)

It's actually quite a nice interface, especially for a shell program.

Is there a plan to update this for BTS? RBTS1 needs it :).

Thanks,
Darrell
No plan at the moment... BtS protects the savegame much better, so I cant change most of the values in the savegame without first breaking the savegame protection.

Does anyone know is there anyway to create a scenario from a pitboss savegame? We started 1936 europe with BtS and ended up noticing in 1939 that no wars will be declared at all, the open play didn't work!

We had 1 hours timer until late 1939 so no major harm done, but we got really excited about the coming war and feel disappointed at not knowing what would have happened to Finland.

I doubt there's a way around this because the obvious cheating element, but it would be nice if I could make a scenario out of the setting and edit wars for all the factions involved and we could see how things end up.

I'd be really happy if someone could inform me if it's possible to do this.

Is there by any chance any update on the status of this? I started my BtS Pitboss game without a turn timer with plans to turn it on after everyone played their first turn (to give time for connection issues and whatnot) but I didn't realize that this doesn't support BtS! I really don't want to start my game over. :(

... if I change the difficulty level of an AI player, what exactly happens?

If I want to make the AI players easier to beat for us puny humans, should I change the AI difficulty level up or down? I mean, if I change an AI player from the Noble level to the Warlord level, does it make the game easier for _us_ or for the AI player?

Does anybody know if it is possible to change a player from human to AI in the midle of a BtS 3.13 PBEM game? If yes how?
Thanks.

No plan at the moment... BtS protects the savegame much better, so I cant change most of the values in the savegame without first breaking the savegame protection.
Does this mean your options for creating the Challenger version in BOTM are severely limited, such as to simple WB changes?

Another question: I want to make 2 saves with exactly the same map and settings, except for difficulty level. If I use your utility to change nothing but difficulty level, do the AIs get the correct starting units, techs, etc.? Or do I have to go into WB and make additional corrections?

Top Bottom