Scenarios too short?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

tsf4

Warlord
Made this a poll, but want to hear your thoughts too. In my opinion they are way too short and ideally would be 200 or 300 turns. I know the addition of online speed makes attention span shorter, but mine is not! I love longer games.

I would like a big epic scenario like 'Into the Renaissance' from Civ V.

That was my all time fave.
I echo this. Even the speculative scenarios like Smoky Skies from Civ V felt longer. I also really miss the scenario-specific music from Civ V, like the glorious Medieval scenario theme.

I feel like scenarios in Civ VI were overall a missed opportunity, despite some fun ideas like random events in the Australia scenario for example. Too many scenarios (a certain Southeastern religion one comes to mind) were bland and dull, though I liked the way Red Death shook things up (and that scenario is probably better for being shorter).

I miss the reskinned civs from Wonders of the Ancient World, replete with Sumerian phalanxes. Civ VI’s Viking scenario and some other scenarios have only slightly reskinned civs compared, though I did like the Nile scenario assets for the temple.

To be honest, the only scenario I remember playing more than once was the sci-fi scenario from Civ4 Beyond the Sword. I remember playing the colonization of the New World scenario from Civ5 once, and I've played the Viking scenario from Civ6 once. Either Firaxis needs to really, really up their scenario game or else I don't find scenarios very interesting. :p

To be honest, the only scenario I remember playing more than once was the sci-fi scenario from Civ4 Beyond the Sword. I remember playing the colonization of the New World scenario from Civ5 once, and I've played the Viking scenario from Civ6 once. Either Firaxis needs to really, really up their scenario game or else I don't find scenarios very interesting. :p
You mean the space one with planets? Funnily enough Civ V’s lead designer made that one. I liked the tactical squad shooter scenario from Beyond the Sword and the Fall from Heaven scenario (which I think was made by a fan and then included in the expansion as an official release, not sure though).

For Civ V I would recommend the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario highly. Some of the others were ok due to changing the rules (Polynesian cultural victory one which was surprisingly tough unless you found a large New Zealand-size landmass to settle). And for Civ VI I’m fond of the Nile and Red Death scenarios. Give those a go! :)

I do agree Firaxis needs to up their scenario game though. If they made interesting campaign modes with unique assets and voiceover, those could be a compelling comeback for scenarios, even if the Civ series at large doesn’t do campaigns, and I’m sure people would argue it would be too expensive to develop, blah blah blah (though games in the Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders series did both campaigns and skirmish-style maps for example).

You mean the space one with planets? Funnily enough Civ V’s lead designer made that one.
Yeah, I think it was called "Final Frontier" or something? I used to like that one. I didn't know there were actual sci-fi 4X games other than Birth of the Federation at the time. :p

Fall from Heaven scenario (which I think was made by a fan and then included in the expansion as an official release, not sure though).
Yeah, it was made by a fan. I tried it a few times, but I found it too battle-focused for my tastes. In retrospect, it was definitely inspired by RPG/4X hybrids like Age of Wonders.

For Civ V I would recommend the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario highly.
I don't play Civ5 anymore (I tried last winter when it looked like Civ6 might be done, and the improvements that Civ6 made just made Civ5 tedious and ugly), but I may have played it back when Civ5 was current.

And for Civ VI I’m fond of the Nile and Red Death scenarios.
I do occasionally consider playing the Nile scenario...but then I go and start a standard game. :p

Top Bottom