Scouts vs Explorers - whats the deal?

greenie

Warlord
I haven't got Civ3 yet but should do soon. In order to get me psyched Ive been reading the info on the units and seen the Scouts and Explorers.

Aside from the Explorer costing twice as much, whats the difference between them and which do you guys use if at all?

Originally posted by greenie
I haven't got Civ3 yet but should do soon. In order to get me psyched Ive been reading the info on the units and seen the Scouts and Explorers.

Aside from the Explorer costing twice as much, whats the difference between them and which do you guys use if at all?

I really, really don't understand the point of explorers. By the time they're even available, you're probably going to have a pretty fair shot at already knowing a good 80-90 percent of the map (through trading maps with other civs). Scouts are great...and they're available immediately...but only expansionistic civs can create them. When I'm playing as one of those civs, a scout is always the first thing I build.

Originally posted by Ohwell
explorers move twice as fast, I believe. I never build them, for the same reasons shirleyrocks doesnt

Explorers treat all tiles as roads if I remember right, but considering the rate the game pumps out settlers (thus forcing you to do something similar for territory) along w/ the territory cultural expansion eats up, explorers w/ default settings are worthless. Just build a foot soldier and ask for right of passage agreements if you don't have world maps by then.

Top Bottom