Screenshot of the Day #37: Utopia

Originally posted by RufRydyr

Sure. I'm on a huge map at the moment. I use MapStat to see how many tiles I have and how many are left before triggering a victory cause I like to go for HOF points. According to F11 I have a land mass of 359,500 miles.

My standard games take a week or more, so I've never played Huge before. I didn't realize how big they were. That seems like an awful lot of tiles!

This sure looks like a modded game to me. Either that or he made a map made entirely of flooplains with wheat. He has an extremely large population and also has an extreme excess of food. I loaded up my Regent HoF game and I had a life expectancy of 72, and 1 child per family (I was maxed out in population, but I had 511 cities, so each city was about a size 12-14, and I hardly had any excess food anywhere).

Then I loaded up that game where I dogpiled 9600+ people in one city. I had a life expectancy of 90 and 3 children per family (the 3 children was because of all the other cities that had excess food and were currently building workers to add to that 'dog-pile capital'). Then I donated every city except the dogpile city to Cleo. My life expectancy shot up to 99, but children per family dropped to 1.

So it looks to me that 1 and 99 are hard coded limits. Life expectancy is related to your average city size, and children per family is how much excess food you have/city.

Military service depends on a formula with no. of military units in the numerator and population in the denominator, i think.

21 children?? U must be playing Greece :p

Originally posted by Zur
21 children?? U must be playing Greece :p

Hahaha...

Anyways...look at how high that productivity is. No way thats one city (but i think we already determined that). Looks like he has a game similar to the one Bamspeedy described with over 500 cities. Then again, thats still pretty high... He would need 650 cities producing an average of 100 per city to get 65000.

Insane game.

What's with so many children? I only always get 1 child per family.

However Unated Nations thinks that control for the number of children in the family is good. And known opinion is - too many children make them unhappy, poor, etc... no place and money to live, study, work,
so there should be kind of balance in Civ which should be optimal, why Civ3 doesn't mention it?

i noticed the Approval Rating is only 96%. so, obviously this is not utopia. even i've gotten a 100% Approval Rating before (of course i had to buy it).

also, i too would like to see a list of the formulas used to create these statistics (besides the obvious approval rating, pollution, etc.) has anyone stopped to read the faq? i wonder if it's in there?

seriously, though. is there anyway to download the complete and current faq so you search through quickly w/o having to load page after page of posts? or am i just doing this wrong?

Originally posted by RegentBob
seriously, though. is there anyway to download the complete and current faq so you search through quickly w/o having to load page after page of posts? or am i just doing this wrong?

Part of the problem is that every couple of months a new patch comes out. So some of the strategies and formulas change each time. As soon as you're getting up to speed on the new and improved stuff, it gets changed! PTW is almost here and then they'll probably make patches for it.

Originally posted by foodguy
this is probably a dumb question, but i have never been able to figure out how to use those statistics. some of them are obvious: pollution i can figure. but what about military service? can you improve military service stat by building more units? and what is up with life expectancy? how do you extend that (aside from building genetics of course). is there a FAQ or something that would give a line-by-line rundown of what these stats mean and how to effect change in them?
Don't worry about changing them; except for a few of the statistics, looking at the demographics screen to see how well you're doing is like looking at your palace to see how much everyone likes you (not the best way to do it...).
Originally posted by RegentBob
also, i too would like to see a list of the formulas used to create these statistics (besides the obvious approval rating, pollution, etc.)
Hmm... approval rating doesn't seem obvious to me. How is it determined? And as of yet I don't think there is a list of the formulas used to create the statistics.
PTW is almost here and then they'll probably make patches for it.
Yeah, but I have heard that once PTW comes out there won't be any more patches for the regular game.

Approval rating is just simply what percentage of your citizens are happy. So 100% approval rating would be very easy in a OCC.

So basically in here..you just need to serve 4 years in the army before you have 21 kids meanwhile supporting them and yourself of 24 bucks a year.

THAT IS HELL!!

Could Military service have anything to do with the number of units you enlist from your cities? I got a high number in a game where I send hoards of young conscripts against my enemies.

Originally posted by willj
I have heard that once PTW comes out there won't be any more patches for the regular game.

Yeah, they've said that. But I'll bet you anything they'll have at least one PTW patch. One way to think of PTW is as the next patch after 1.29 except it's not free.

Yeah, they've said that. But I'll bet you anything they'll have at least one PTW patch. One way to think of PTW is as the next patch after 1.29 except it's not free.
Of course; in fact they'll probably make several PTW patches, especially when people start complaing about the things included and not included in PTW. For example, maybe diplomacy being included in the scenario editor might be in a patch, since so many people are furious about it not being included.

Firaxis, Firaxis, Firaxis.

The fact they have so many patches means that they did not test it so throughly. Of course you must skip over some mistakes, but it seems absurd to have to download so many patches if you didn't wait and download each one as it came out - then you'd have to download and download and download...

The Sims only came out with one patch per expasion pack, with the exception of House Party (which had the Livin' Large patch) and Vacation. That's not too bad - three patches only.

freeman, do you know how to spell civilization? it is spelled 'Z' not, 'S'. This is NOT flame. I mean its in the title! Civilization!

Originally posted by VinManAgent11
freeman, do you know how to spell civilization? it is spelled 'Z' not, 'S'. This is NOT flame. I mean its in the title! Civilization!
hehe... It's spelled "Civilisation" in British English. :)

I will never understand all the British look-alike terms to English. It's just crazy to me...

Originally posted by hbdragon88
I will never understand all the British look-alike terms to English. It's just crazy to me...
I'm sure the British people say to themselves, "I will never understand all the American look-alike terms to English. It's just crazy to me..." ;)

Top Bottom