Seafaring Hannibal

Gwaja

King
Okay... so the last map I posted left a very sour taste in everyone's mouths. But this time, I think almost everyone will enjoy this map. It is an old map that I finished way back in the past on Immortal. Dug it up just because I have such fond memories of this map.

This map was generated with Big & Small map script, with islands mixed in and normal size continents. Everything else should be standard, with no huts and no events.

Worldbuilder saves are attached separately for both Immortal and Deity. Barbarian techs must be added in using the World Builder.

I won't guarantee that this map won't be time consuming, given the layout of the map, but I think it will showcase Hannibal's strengths really well. Do you love Great Lighthouse, trade routes, and naval exploration? I think this will suit you well. Remember... exploration is key! And no... this time, we are not doing isolation nonsense, although it may seem like it at first.

And off to our glorious start:

1714369317229.png

Attachments

• Seafaring Hannibal Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    385.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Seafaring Hannibal Deity.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    387.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
2W for more riverside and more land?
Warrior placement isn't ideal though :yeah:

2W for more riverside and more land?
Warrior placement isn't ideal though :yeah:
It might be less land though... Ugh I'm inclined to SIP. Maybe move 1W to take a peak and then settle. But don't want to lose 2 turns on marginal chance of improving things.

I'm inclined to go fishing boat before worker and go for BW right away, delaying AH. BW->Agr and then shoot for pottery?
1N for moar hillsg:banana:
Not sure if you're very serious, but cottaging the cow did cross my mind

Played to 1040BC on Immortal.
Spoiler :

Certainly a more forgiving map. Realised while going for GL that it was probably doable to go Oracle as well in 2nd city. Got both with Oracle -> Currency. Now time to city spam. Only up to 4 so far.

1040BC immortal SoC
Spoiler :
Because 2nd/3rd city sites are very strong, on corn might be surprisingly competitive. Faster, saves some :science: due to going hunting instead of agri. Wouldn't recommend anyway. Started worker/BW.

Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

Never built so many mines in my life. No wheel/pottery, just GLH and slow build settlers. Went CoL and wanted to oracle CS, but got only some :hammers: in. Got half of math but now it's not that useful. Go poly to fail other marble wonders and try to get 30 cities by 1AD.

Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

At T40ish I have to decide between sailing/GLH or writing/library and kick start research in capital. GLH seems like bit of distraction as the trade routes aren't worth much until much later. GM points are kinda nice though, but I'd rather not pollute capital with GM points early and that means building GLH in 2nd/3rd city?

GLH is more or less instawin on an island map, everything else that you mention is secondary.

I went for it after getting library in capital. But lost GLH race at 675BC. Seems early date for GLH on immortal. Maybe AI knew it was isolation map. My game still looks pretty healthy. Neither Rameses and Mao have compass or MC so I should get optics pretty early. Do people go for Astronomy here and give up on lib race? Seems not possible to do both on immortal.

@Tecumseh1
Spoiler :
Nah, that's not an early GLH at all. Since it's clear very quickly that this is a map where GLH is absolutely OP, you should not risk it. My GLH-date was T64 (1440BC) at 4 cities and already that felt a bit risky. This is not a game where early library pays back well, because expansion (even without GLH) pays back so much better. FIN with tons of coastal seafood is like that.

Since you have pre-optics contact to at least 2 AIs, is astronomy even relevant?

@Tecumseh1
Spoiler :
Nah, that's not an early GLH at all. Since it's clear very quickly that this is a map where GLH is absolutely OP, you should not risk it. My GLH-date was T64 (1440BC) at 4 cities and already that felt a bit risky. This is not a game where early library pays back well, because expansion (even without GLH) pays back so much better. FIN with tons of coastal seafood is like that.

Since you have pre-optics contact to at least 2 AIs, is astronomy even relevant?

Good to know. Seems I need to be focused on GLH from start to get such an early date. I was lured by library because gems and good commerce capital. RE: astronomy that's a good question. I can trade resources with both AIs but I don't have foreign trade routes yet in my cities. Maybe I need to find their cities via workboat to get the routes? I'm thinking optics can still be useful but I should go for liberalism right? It's a great map to grind out GPs and bulb stuff.

Spoiler :
Optics is not very useful. Yes you are correct, you just need to clear the trade routes by finding their "trade network". Try to make sure barb cities don't block the routes.

Yes you can go liberalism, but you don't really need to. You don't need to take a war tech to break out, as you have lots of space to expand. Something like lib Nat to build Taj is probably useful, as you (should) have a big empire.

But lost GLH race at 675BC. Seems early date for GLH on immortal.
This thread might give you some useful information about the wonder dates : Wonder dates on IMM and DEI . It shows the average GLH on immortal is gone at 800BC.
Of course, the wonder dates vary with the AIs and their starts, but it still gives you a general idea about the "deadlines" if you decide to build some wonders.

@konata_LS where's your usual joke comment about settling on wet corn? this is probably the best time to actually kill a wet corn. I am going to do it on deity. And I am going to win because we are the Chadnibal of carthage. (One of the most dangerous AI are out of the picture this game :rockon: )

Lets actually look at it
pros-
3 turn faster worker if built at size 1
5 worker turns also saved
all 4 gross ocean tiles removed
2 extra river cottages gained, and a flat ground cottage and a bare hill (all better than water tiles imo)
1 extra forest
30 beakers saved to get to animal husbandry, although 20 beakers lost going pottery

cons-
6 food tile killed

probably not a good idea, but its fun lets do it

t1-116
Spoiler :

yes very chill game, tons of uncontested islands we can get like 25-30 cities peacefully. maybe beelining cannons was a mistsake and i should have gone for lib and assembly line first, but taking over china and egypt should be pretty simple and yield some nice resources, as well as get a foothold on their pangaea. Strange map.
Not sure if the ocean clams are editted or part of some weird script you ran, I may have made some assumptions... never seen those in my 4000 hours on civ.
500bc civil service, 1480bc GLH at 4 cities. I'm halfway through gunpowder at 25AD with 400 beakers that's going to keep going up. I think whip forges courthouses cothons and theatres then mass draft rifles + whip cannons is the play? can probably clean up the other guys easily. Mansa we might need artillery or tanks for hes a little out of control. Actually screw courthouses, FIN + GLH should overcome the maintenance we just push to communism then do state property gaming. Probably never leave slavery the whole game, aside from some starving down in a golden age.
hannibal seafaring.JPG

@Henrik75
Spoiler :
Maybe it's a good position for you to investigate whether the mentioned buildings actually pay back better than not building them. You are whipping away FIN coast for buildings that take a while to pay back. Will building them improve your attack date? Once you attack, will they make a difference?

@konata_LS where's your usual joke comment about settling on wet corn?
Probably because my thought is currently full of creatures like Charred archers and Bonemaw Serpents :lol:. Many gamers including you already uploaded or streamed new contents about the Ashlands test version. So many videos to watch & catch up. People are gaming. It seems Ashlands are going to be a big hit 😎.

TBH I like soundjata's suggestion of moving towards the west. It'll gain more river tiles and use the capital's :culture: to get that western fish. Corn, fish, and clam can be left to the second city, potentially the future National epic spot. Although SIP or 1W is not bad at all.

Top Bottom