September Patch Notes Discussion

...makes it impossible for the Player to establish a Trade Route.
Quote from the Concise UI workshop page:
"As a workaround until it gets fixed delete or move the trade_panel folder from the \Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1671978687\modules folder. Will give you the generic trade panel but results in a working trade system once again."

Whaoo I can tell one thing. You have no idea what you are talking about. What does QA has to do with miracles? You just said so btw setting production is one of the most common task. You know what? A patch is about altering code so it usually ends up modifying 'the most common task'.
Seriously I hope fx guys did not read that one.
I admit my comment was a bit harsh... It was written when I was still quite enraged about the prospect that a very important tournament game of the German PBEM league might have to be replayed from scratch, after several people had already put three months of hard work into it...

But I do have a vague idea of what I'm talking about: I work in a software company myself, and I know that it is common practice that before a major patch or new version is released, the "most common tasks" of the software are tested very thoroughly in all possible situations. We even have so-called "antisocial test cases" where people try to break the functionality on purpose by entering invalid/stupid/unexpected inputs or by using it in a way it was not intended for... Of course I know that modern software has become so complex that it is no longer possible to test all possible combinations of inputs and execution flows through the code, but nevertheless it is QA's responsibility that at least the "standard functions" of the program which every user will use constantly, are tested in a wide variety of different circumstances. E.g. for ensuring backward-compatibility, you could have a large collection of save files created with the previous version at different stages of the game with different Civs, different units & buildings already built, etc. and then try to load & play these saves with the new version. (I am sure they already do this. My case was probably just one of these "oddballs" that has fallen through the cracks...)
In some cases it is necessary to break compatibility, if you want to introduce new features, but in these cases we provide "conversion tools", which convert the user's stored data from the previous version into the new format required by the new version.

Last point: a guy from Firaxis, dshirk, indeed read my comment (and I'm sure glad he didn't feel offended... :mischief:). They already figured out what the problem is (as far as I understand it: a certain UN vote had taken place a few turns before, the effects of that vote are stored in the save file ("apply +50% production for military units"), but these effects have been altered in the patch, and this mismatch of "old rules stored in the save and new rules in the program" leads to a crash whenever you want to choose the production of a city), and they are now trying to help us continue the game. :love:

Have played 4 games now... There seems to have been a shift in preference of wonders...
Almost impossible to get Apadana on deity now (prepatch as long as you plan your chops you can chop it out). On the other hand hanging gardens is so often left over...
Oracle you can still get if you beeline, but if you intend to pick it up as an afterthought after poly phi, most likely you'd lose it.

The better trade routes mods and better espionage screen mods aren't working correctly with the patch (the former doesn't actually do the filtering, the latter actually makes it impossible to move/use spies). Better Report screen is working fine, thankfully!

Seriously Firaxis, just grab some of the QoL UI Mods, write a check or whatever, and incorporate them into the game.

After 2 games on deity, my beloved tall&peace Cree (totally pacefull with awful arctic start, but a lot of fun with Eyljafjalokull or sth and fire goddes pantheon) and Kongo (semi isilated),large maps, so more AIs:

- I can confirm some wonder tweaks. Apadana comes very early, Colloseum harder, Artemis harder. OTOH Mids not taken early both games, and not because of lack of desert.
- AI is better in defensive
- AI is more agressive towards each other and city states. I don't know if toward player as well, because befriending neighbours is so extremely easy as before.
In my Poundmaker game for example, at the end of the game only 2 city states left. What is strange, Germany declared on Genewa, totally inside my territory, only to have it rebelled. In my second gfgame also there were 2 city states left except those inside my zone of direct control.
Australia is this way buffed even more, and not because of reefs.
- Any improvement to AI agressiveness is still meaningless, because still on deity player outtechs AI haevily, even without conquest. I know Kongo is strong, but I only liberated cahokia cause I love mounds and took Nantes from France, this is all my conquests. France called for intervention, only England joined. And being attacked by England only to see their catapults and Xbows trying to kill nuclear submarine - oh devs... please....

If you cannot bring back sliders, at least give other mechanism to make AIs civs competitive. Maybe some revanchism in form of strong tech discounts depended on lost territory available only to AIs... or whatever

Last edited:
The better trade routes mods and better espionage screen mods aren't working correctly with the patch (the former doesn't actually do the filtering, the latter actually makes it impossible to move/use spies). Better Report screen is working fine, thankfully!

Seriously Firaxis, just grab some of the QoL UI Mods, write a check or whatever, and incorporate them into the game.
... or the modders can update their mods.

I just got Era points for building the Marae a second time, several turns after I built my first Marae. The first time I got it is now marked in the timeline as Aquarium, using the same text used for unique buildings, while the second says it's for the Marae. I don't even have the tech for the Aquarium lol.

Occassionally happened last patch for me. You using any mods?
Yes, lots. I thought it might be one of them causing the problem. Not a big deal, I was just curious if it was a fault with the patch or not.

Acquiring 8 policy card slots via wonders, while still in T2 government, no longer unlocks eureka for, e. g., Computers. This eureka does require 8 inherent policy slots, so it was bugged before?

... or the modders can update their mods.

The point is that they are great mods and would definitely improve the game, like being able to sort yields in the trade route selection.

The point is that they are great mods and would definitely improve the game, like being able to sort yields in the trade route selection.
And my point was that, not everyone likes the same mods that you do or thinks that the same things in the game are as important as you do. There are other things in the game that FXS should spend their resources on. Things that modders easily can do, should be left to modders.

Yet.. the modding agenda stipulates -- the talented minds behind such custom indirect products can (really should) always influence Firaxis staff to integrate some precious concepts & gameplay enhancements.
Which doesn't prevent anyone from creating whatever else as long as popularity proves how most players react to what's available in the Workshop, new and old.

Knowing that much -- it's obvious to me the recent patching trends acknowledge(d) various Mods when their generic ideas passed the test of preferable ruleset twists & added cool elements to an already "progressing" pattern to the whole Civ6 principles as long as the main design follows a logical/global definition based on deterministic rules. In a sense.. we do our magic and the wizard gang in Maryland approves or rejects by supplying alternatives or direct copy/paste solutions.
Of course, Expansions and DLC throws big wrenches in a continual re-fining set of "innovations" -- like it or not!

Thus my point should be clear by now to you all -- Mods are the incentive to enforce evolution of their design.. much more so than isolated anomalies of external potential with great ingenuity & at times, weird components (cheating stuff, etc).

It's all a Win-Win partnership anyway, AFAIC. The fan-base receives replayability factors .. free-of-charge while the franchise still gains momentum for even more gameplay assets; all of which conditional to a rational system that keeps hitting the players for the best experience possible or wished for.
They should (again) thank us Modders. I believe they do.. publicly as often as we've already seen into the release Videos, etc.

PS; In my case, i prefer (as do 640+ Subscribers) my own GSco_R_ow to their tall stack of details/values in the WorldRanking HUD.
See below!
ZGSR_Preview(v1).png

Last edited:
Questions:

1) Where is the red death scenario?

Spoiler :

Red death.PNG

2) I have the yield key binding under Y, but it isn't working, and all the rest are. Has anyone else noticed this?

Spoiler :

Yeild key binding.PNG

1) Red Death scenario is probably disabled in the Mods screen.
2) Are you using a keyboard configuration other than English?

Probably related to the mentioned changes of AI diplo favor trading logic: AI will now still sell me DF after acquiring my first diplomatic victory point. I guess that there is still a point where they will stop, but it's not after one DVP anymore. Also, the prices greatly vary - you clearly seem that some civs are not interested in selling DF.

1) Red Death scenario is probably disabled in the Mods screen.
2) Are you using a keyboard configuration other than English?

1) Correct. Annoying that.
2) No.

Top Bottom