Sevomod: Feedback

Ben E Gas said:
I just started playing the new vanilla version 3.3. Can anyone tell me what the 'Mastery Victory' is? How exactly do you win with that victory condition? I couldn't find it explained anywhere.

The only explaination I found was this:
"0) Mastery Victory -- The Mastery Victory condition has been included. Win a more complete victory and play a more challenging game than before!"

Mastery Victory assigned point values to the different things you can do in the game (ie, % land & population, founding and spreading a religion, launching the spaceship, etc). It's a pretty neat idea really. Because of the way it works, the other victories are disabled if you enable mastery. Sevo has a seperate thread that can give you more details here.

discolando27 said:
Has anyone thought of something for counterbattery fire( a technique used for artillery)? I just got through a war novel where a fortified position had artillery brought up against them, but they had had several weeks/days or whatever to setup and properly range test the surrounding area so that when the advancing artillery showed up, they were able to counterfire it and very quickly spank the enemy arty into the ground.. possibly rather then shutting down the strength of arty you could give arty a bonus vs say other arty when it's been stationary for a period of time to simulate this?

Actually, this is quite well simulated in vanilla civ 4: Arty units have to attack, they have a chance to withdraw but they can also be killed (by counterbattery, cavalry charge, ambush, whichever way you imagine). I am advocating a return to vanilla civ rules for catapults and cannons; battleships and a new MRLS/radar arty unit should retain the ranged bombard ability to simulate their massive range. If catapults have a range of a civ-square(probably corresponds to more than 100 miles), tanks should have a 3 civ-square range which would be ridiculous for gameplay.

I have just upgraded to 3.3. I had played with an older version for quite a while and was waiting for the final version before upgrading.

I love the changes. A great Mod is now a fantastic Mod.

I bought WArlords, but I am not even loading it until Sevo does his magic.

Hello,

I've noticed slight unbalance w/ the "Attack I,II,III," promotion line (+ 15% strength, minus 15% defence for all terrain).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this promotion was designed to give units an attacking advantage while suffering a defensive penalty. But b/c the overall strength of the unit is so high, the defense penalty doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Theoretically, a unit with two of these promotions, should suffer a large defensive penalty, and therefore be easier to kill if left undefended. But b/c their strength is so high, it seems to override the defensive penalty.
I've noticed that the AI will jack up their early naval units (and sometimes land units) with a few of these promotions and this makes them hard to kill. Even a wounded naval unit with "Attack II" requires a strong unit in order to kill it.

I think it would make more sense to change the promotion so it acts only on the offensive, (like the Hypaspist's 50% attack bonuns vs. axeman/ swordsman), to balance it out. This will allow for a truly specialized promotion line.

Maybe I'm losing it, but I really think this isn't doing what it was supposed to do. Something to think about for the Warlords version.

Love the 3.3 changes, Sevo. Thanks for the great playing experience.

Isod

Isod said:
Hello,

I've noticed slight unbalance w/ the "Attack I,II,III," promotion line (+ 15% strength, minus 15% defence for all terrain).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this promotion was designed to give units an attacking advantage while suffering a defensive penalty. But b/c the overall strength of the unit is so high, the defense penalty doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

That promo series was created that way because the game doesn't inherently support a general "only while attacking" bonus. It only supports conditional attack bonuses (attack vs Mounted, attack vs city, etc).

When you attack you get the +15% strength.
When you defend you get the +15% strength and the -15% defense penalty, working out to a net 0%.

This provides the intended effect : an increase in offensive strength without any increase in defensive capabilities. A net defensive penalty is not what was intended - if it was the penalties would be higher than the bonus.

edit: I'm on dial-up its hopeless. I need a burned copy of v3.3.

zyphyr said:
That promo series was created that way because the game doesn't inherently support a general "only while attacking" bonus. It only supports conditional attack bonuses (attack vs Mounted, attack vs city, etc).

When you attack you get the +15% strength.
When you defend you get the +15% strength and the -15% defense penalty, working out to a net 0%.

This provides the intended effect : an increase in offensive strength without any increase in defensive capabilities. A net defensive penalty is not what was intended - if it was the penalties would be higher than the bonus.

In that case, do you think there might be room in the promotion system for an even stronger attack bonus with a corresponding decrease in defensive ability?

I'm just... curious... Grocers provide +10 food... which seems... strange... It seems that something like a +10% bonus would be more logical... I'm not ruling out the possibility that there's a patch I haven't downloaded or I did something else wrong... but is this intentional?

doompigeon said:
I'm just... curious... Grocers provide +10 food... which seems... strange... It seems that something like a +10% bonus would be more logical... I'm not ruling out the possibility that there's a patch I haven't downloaded or I did something else wrong... but is this intentional?

It supposed to be 10%..Are you with 3.3?

Arlborn said:
It supposed to be 10%..Are you with 3.3?

I play with 3.3 and I have the same feature. It's not plus ten percent food but plus ten bread units, which is pretty useful for cities in unprivileged areas.

Hello and welcome to my first post :)

Well finally i am trying to put together all ideas i had durning those years playing this game wchich could (or couldnt =) ) be useful to use in mod

IDEA 1

There is one thing i do miss in game and this is all kind rocketry weapons (not ICBM), its such a nice thing to use, not too expencive great for attack, i think you are always one step ahead carrying those, it could be carried by some types of land sea or air units or launched form cities etc, and what im thinking about, (its of course rough idea), is to be able to build for example 3 or 2 types of rockets (with different range) on wchich you would be able to install different types of weapons, whether its kind of explosives, or maybye chemical weapons wchich i also do miss in the game. Depends from ideas, those - lets call it short range missles, with explosives or chemical stuff could be carried by land and air units being used in batle etc. Then there could be a mid range mislles ( more expencive o course ) carried by for example sea units only and you could install small nukes, more explosives on it or so, making it more deadly. Well finally there comes ICBM as a global range so we know whats that =) .
so basicly you have to build 2 weapons wchich is rocket + explosive or chemical stuff or whatever idea is, and put it together.How ? well to be honest i havent worked that out so i hope you can =). I belive that those rocketry idea could add a new view, to all warfare in the game , and make it more - well like it is today

I understand that behind this idea comes of course mod balancing etc etc, as well as introducing new stuff to the game, and im aware that it may be completely stupid idea screwing mod up, so all criticism is highly welcome =)

i have couple more ideas - of new, or maybye new stuff which could be used in mod , which i will be posting from time to time, i prefer to write 6 shorter posts than 1 long large and bornig =)

PS sorry for my english , i know it could be better ,all i can is to hope i made myself understood. with that rocketry idea- if not i try to explain that better i promise =)

I've posted a new patch from Titi -- he's worked really hard on this one to fix fonts and text mistakes throughout the mod. The patch is on the first page.

Update: My new project

I've posted a new patch from Titi -- he's worked really hard on this one to fix fonts and text mistakes throughout the mod. The patch is on the first page.

Also, a personal update: My new project

The patch also adds a plunder ability to privateers (before the sink galleons or caravels - but only those ships - they loot them for gold!)

The patch also adds a plunder ability to privateers (before the sink galleons or caravels - but only those ships - they loot them for gold!)

Do you have enough ability to convert tihs GREAT mod to Warlords????

Just asking xD

Do you have enough ability to convert tihs GREAT mod to Warlords????

Just asking xD
I'm afraid Sevo has put the modding requirements level too high for me! Besides I don't have Warlords...
Anyway I think Keldath is not far from having done so already.

I just played my first game on Sevomod. It was great fun, and I see all the buzz about it was justified. I especially like all the new civs and leaderheads. They even had their own diplo music! Even Firaxis didn't go that far! ;)

Excellent, excellent work. :D

EDIT: Does anyone know how to turn Tech Trading on with Sevomod enabled? I'm not sure how.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to turn Tech Trading on with Sevomod enabled? I'm not sure how.

If I remember correcty you need to research Guilds to be able to trade tech. I am not sure in which version this was changed, but if you don't like it, it shouldn't be too complicated to modify it.

Is there a way to have it randomize the colors of the civs better without picking what civs you want to play against? Hubby and I are playing a game in hotseat with 12 other comp players and there are 4 different shades of green civs and 4 diff shades of red. I know Christmas is not too far away, but that's a little crazy! Other than that we love the Mod!

If I remember correcty you need to research Guilds to be able to trade tech. I am not sure in which version this was changed, but if you don't like it, it shouldn't be too complicated to modify it.

Thanks. That confused me for a while. :)

Top Bottom