SGOTM 01 - Short Straw

mushroomshirt said:
I hope everyone is up for team Short Straw again on SGOTM 2!

I am game. Reading all the different way we approach the game gave me lots of ideas. I think we collectively worked well as a team and focused on a goal. I think we will only get better as a team going forward. Count me in...

Lmtoops said:
Hmmm...I wonder if VirusMonster is reading the thread??

VM...are you out there?

I think I missed my turn as usual :) I don't think I can play regularly and keep track of the forum as much as you guys would want me to, so I don't think I will play on sgotm2. But I don't think I will play on any other team either.

So is the game about to be over or not, I haven't read all the posts. If you gonna give me a few turns to play, let me know while I am still not away for holiday.

P.S. I am waiting ungy to finish his turn. I understand he might finish the game at the end of his turn.

Hey VM. Yeah, it looks like there are only about 3 turns left to victory, barring something unforseen, so even this one won't be much of a turnset. Being so close, I think most of us are just anxious to get the game finished so we can check out how the other teams are doing. Since ungy already said he's hoing to play it and I don't know if he'll check back with the thread before he does, we probably need him to go ahead and do so. Otherwise, we could end up with 2 differnt versions of the game which would create a big mess.

here goes--I feel like the captain of a tug bringing a large ship into harbor after a long voyage.

1571 58.33% of land area turn basically done. MM some cities to get more artists.

1574 LA out of rebellion, LA and Atlanta expand (had all GA in LA). 60.22%
found Pithom near Novgorod. 3 tiles takes us to 60.56%. Sleep military

1577 Wash out of rebellion, expands. NY out of rebellion, expands. Buto expands. 63.56%. With another settler we could have had it this turn.

1580 Short Straw wins domination victory. Score 97877 pretty respectable given we didn't milk at all. (SF expands) 64.33 %

I have the save for the turn before on my computer--not sure how I can post it. Let me know what to do if anyone wants it.

Great game all--it's been a pleasure playing with you. I'm happy to reload this team for the next game--it is a tradeoff as presumably one might learn some different things from a new group but we might have a new face or two anyway.

WTG ungy. It sounds like you chose not to attack Cyrus. Since we've already finished, I just had to pull up the 1571 save to see if Ghandi would declare war on us when we attacked Cy - he did. So 'always peace' isn't as always as I thought it was. Awesome game everyone. RTB - Your calculations were right on the money. Good job.

I'd like to have the last save. Since we've already submitted, I think you'll just have to attach it to the forums. Just reply, click on the paperclip icon at the top of the post, press the 'browse' button when the window pops up, find the save on your HD, and hit upload. That should attach the file as an attachment.

Well played Short Straw. Considering your name reflects the way your team came together, and I don't think any of you have played together before, you've worked very well as a team. Hope to see you all again in our next little entertainment.

Grogs said:
I'd like to have the last save. Since we've already submitted, I think you'll just have to attach it to the forums. Just reply, click on the paperclip icon at the top of the post, press the 'browse' button when the window pops up, find the save on your HD, and hit upload. That should attach the file as an attachment.

Grogs- the file was slightly over the limit--can I email it to you or something?
Truthfully I did little of consequence--you could also pretty much recreate in a few minutes I think

There's no problem if you want to upload the save before victory to the results and progress page. The only possible issue is that if it doesn't contain the victory condition it'll show up on the graphs.

Alternatively, upload it using the Upload Files link at the bottom of the page and then post a link to it here.

Thanks ungy, I got it. I just like to put all of my SG's in my HoF.

AlanH said:
There's no problem if you want to upload the save before victory to the results and progress page. The only possible issue is that if it doesn't contain the victory condition it'll show up on the graphs.

OK, thanks. I didn't know we could submit saves out of order or even if we could submit once the final save was in. I'm not sweating people noticing we've finished too much since CFR finished before us (both in RL and game time) and I think that's what they'll be gunning for.

Yeah! The SGOTM upload system is very forgiving - any save, any date, any order, any time. I try to minimise the scope for problems :p

I was poking around on CFR's threads today. Here's my summary of note. (didn't actually look at the saves, my civ IV is on the fritz).

1) They beelined for the Oracle and CS slingshot
2) Didn't get pyramids although they wanted to
3) cottages a lot early and generally were in builder mode for quite a while
4) attacked Cathy late. She had founded two cities farther up near Egyptian territory than St. Pete was in our game
5) attacked Cyrus right after Cathy, before astronomy
6) did not turn off tech
7) barely got to guilds before the end of the game
8) conquered the world with macemen and catapults primarily
9) used a technique I've never heard of before with their galleons. I forget what they called it but basically you get lots of transports lined up and move your troops from one continent to another in one move.
10) used great artists to culture bomb and end the game a few turns early by getting cities out of resistance.

Anyone else get any other take-aways from them? Seems to me like they played two phases #1 was builder all the way - they only had warriors for a long time. Phase #2 was military all the way - they really didn't care about their economy. I wonder if any other teams played a two phase game like this.

Looks to me like team peanut is another one to watch.

EDIT: PS this was a lot of fun - thanks AlanH and Gyathaar!

Actually we attacked Cathy fast and captured 2 cities (razed 1 more) with WCs, it is just that then we drew back. It might have been a mistake.

Congrats on finish and good game!

Lexad said:
Actually we attacked Cathy fast and captured 2 cities (razed 1 more) with WCs, it is just that then we drew back. It might have been a mistake.

Congrats on finish and good game!

Thanks! Congratulations back to you! I wonder if you think your time will hold up. I see from your board that you guys feel like you still made a few mistakes, but from what I can tell you had a great strategy and executed it well. Maybe the "optimum" strategy? But we will see I guess. You certainly came in quite ahead of us.

mushroomshirt said:
9) used a technique I've never heard of before with their galleons. I forget what they called it but basically you get lots of transports lined up and move your troops from one continent to another in one move.

I haven't had a chance to read their whole thread yet, but I'm guessing you're talking about ship chaining. Basically, you load up a galleon in port, sail it out a few tiles to the next ship where the troops unload from the first galleon and then load on the next one, then rinse and repeat until the troops unload on the far continent.

One thing I've seen in their comments about Peanut is the techs they *didn't* research, namely meditation and theology. These two open up philosophy and paper respectively, both techs a Great Scientist will research before Astronomy. By the time we got around to researching Astro, it didn't take us all that long, but earlier in the game if you bee-line for it, it's a very expensive tech to research by hand.

Top Bottom