SGOTM 02 - The Real Ms. Beyond

I'm just perplexed by Edo. It has had a Japanese revolt at least 4-5 times.

I think Edo hasn't flipped because 1) it has lots of troops in it, and 2) we shouldn't really be applying cultural pressure across the water anyway. But Tadmekka makes no sense to me. It started empty with no cultural buildings in it and swamped by our culture!

I'VE NEVER HAD SUCH AN AMUSING TURNSET! :lol:

I most definately took advantage of Rule 11 (Have fun!).

First, Mansa built the UN. He was voted in Secretary General by all except Kublai (who voted for us) and us (who voted for us). Someone abstained, but I forgot who. Computers came in (along with Plastics). I noticed Bismarck didn't have it, so I... took advantage of that and shook things up a bit :lol:

Well, I got Bismarck to declare war on Hatty. Not long after, Mansa declared war on Bismarck. Let me summarize what happened:

Stuttgart has been captured by the Egyptian empire.
Pi-Ramesses has been captured by the German empire.
Elephantine has been captured by the German empire.
Munich has been captured by the German empire.
Shangian has been captured by the Egyptian empire.
Hamburg has been captured by the Malinese empire.

And therefore, when Mansa went for a diplo victory, everyone abstained :lol:

Furthermore, the resolution to make Universal Suffrage universal failed.

At the end of my turnset, Robotics has come in. We can trade it to Hatty (Kublai already has it). I have moved a bunch of units and such to "the islands" in preparation for the assult on Mansa. With his forces busy in Germany, I think we should attack before long. We can now build Mechanized Infantry :)

Frankly, I ended here because I wanted you to take the battle :lol:... or at least prepare for it.

I'll be busy all day tomorrow, so if you get the chance, good luck!

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm2/The_Real_Ms_Beyond_SG002_AD1893_01.Civ4SavedGame

PS: We have an Artist in Madrid.

That's just plain laughable. I'll probably play Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Looking forward to it!

I just wanted to post that I spent my Civ4 time today thinking and commenting about SGOTM3. Depending on how things go tomorrow--and how much attention SGOTM3 takes--I might get some time to actually play this one.

But, I am looking forward to trying modern warfare a bit!

I have downloaded the save but not loaded it yet. My computer does weird things when I switch between a game requiring the HoF mod and one not requiring it. Like 2 versions of Civ in the taskbar and a 1.5 minute wait to switch between Civ and any other program. Anyway, it just keeps me from looking at both games quickly.

If you want to take a few more turns, (post to let me know and) feel free. If not, I'll get on it when I can.

I've played a whopping 3 more turns to here.

That took an hour. I plan to play more (unless you want to grab it), but it may be a while, possibly tomorrow, so I figured I'd post what I have.

1893: Switched research to flight. Eventually, we might want to get to stealth bombers. I hope it doesn't take that long.

I did a lot of whipping and our full allotment of drafting. I figure the best approach to Timbuktu is off the west side of our big island, so I marked that spot "Gathering Point" and started sending troops and ships there. I've spread out some ships to watch for incoming AI stacks and to try to find Mansa's navy.

I'm also stockpiling cannons and a few mech inf in Tokyo to take Mansa's city on our continent when the time comes.

1894: Dusseldorf is captured by Egypt. Hatty completes the cockpit.

1895: Mansa wants OB. I decide to say no. We may want to reconsider this since it could give us good intel.

Mansa proposes UN resolution Free Speech. We have about 2/9ths of the world's population and I vote no so I can keep drafting. (3 mech inf per turn!)

1896: Free speech passes (sigh). Yes votes: Huayna (79), Hatty (124), Mansa (199), Kublai (110). No votes: Ms. Beyond (203), Biz (59), Mao (100).

Okay, here's some thinking: We probably just want to raze every city on the globe. This near-world war is a good thing for us since it involves the two leaders: Mansa and Biz. Unfortunately, Biz is going to get wiped out in the fighting. When he's down to his last city or so on the main island, we need to move (use troops from Tokyo) to take his city on our island. I don't think he's of any use to us alive. Still debating about keeping either of those cities on our continent.

We probably want to keep the following cities: Timbuktu (UN), Djenne (Conf shrine, Hang Gardens), Memphis (Jew shrine, Hindu shrine, Eiffel), and Thebes (Statue, R&R, 3 Gorges). I'll keep thinking, but I think the best thing generally is raze and move on. We'll probably want to keep the UN just so we can unvote Free speech when we get the chance.

I played a little more until 1911; the save is here.

Things were going quite well. I declared on Mansa. Took and retook Timbuktu several times. I've even razed a couple of his cities.

But, just as I was sending out a battleship to reinforce our considerable assault force, I discovered a landing party heading to our nearly defenseless homeland.

It should be recoverable since we have time to whip up defense.

If you want to take it for a bit, feel free to do so, otherwise, I'll pick it up a bit more tomorrow and try to get it to a natural stopping point.

I'll probably only have the time to pop in the save to take a look. You're doing a great job, so you can continue with that.

Is there a way to tell where the opponent has built their Apollo Program? Furthermore, is the spaceship destroyed once you capture/raze the city that contains the Apollo Program? Mansa is nearing spaceship, and I would like to raze that city as soon as possible.

Is there a way to tell where the opponent has built their Apollo Program? Furthermore, is the spaceship destroyed once you capture/raze the city that contains the Apollo Program? Mansa is nearing spaceship, and I would like to raze that city as soon as possible.

Spies will tell you where the space ship parts are being built. Destroying the Apollo city does nothing in Civ4.

Hi Ruff!

He's right. Only a spy can help us here.

Okay, I wrapped up our war with Mansa in 1913.

I wasn't able to eliminate him, but I kept a couple cities (Timbuktu with the UN and another one nearby with a +36gpt shrine) and razed about 3 or 4 others, including a few that looked like good production cities. He still has two left near his old capital site, including the Taoist holy city (which I think we should raze). His capital moved over to his 3 cities in between Hatty and Biz.

We were getting *crushed* by war weariness, so I had to declare peace. He was pretty stingy, and all I was able to get out of him was some 3000G. But gold is our friend.

Hatty and Biz are still at war, which I think is good for us.

I sent a bomber on recon and noticed two sets of Maoist troops headed toward Timbuktu. I would not be surprised if he declared war on us next turn. If his troops pass through, then I think he's planning on taking on Biz. If he does this, I think we should declare on him since that will cancel his def pact with Huayna. Either way, it's a good thing.

I'll edit this post later with a better turnset report, and maybe even some pictures.

Note: We're now #1 in score, followed by Hatty then Mansa. I'm actually a little bit concerned that Hatty might be able to pull off a diplomatic victory. Oh well, it would save us the trouble of the rest of the modern war!

Note to self (and team): Marines upgraded to Mech Inf make awesome Off-transport attackers. We have flight, so I think we should be making lots of bombers to lower city defenses in the interior.

We might want to think about keeping more cities next time. I just didn't think I could hold them and didn't want to risk an AI getting any great cities.

Also, there's a lot of pillaging that can be done in old Mali lands.

I've left a lot of signs on the map indicating locations of troop repositories, airports, etc.

I won't get to this again until next week, so if you have time over the weekend, feel free. (Ruff?, others?, want some modern war action?)

Depending on if Mao is on the move to attack us (watch out near Timbuktu) or is dogpiling on Biz, our next major target is probably Hatty. We'll need a lot since she's racking up experience fighting Biz, but if their war continues, at least she'll be distracted.

Win or lose, I don't think we can afford to tech up to modern armor.

I'm very busy this weekend again, but I'll try to fit in some time to play. We have just more than five days to complete this...

If anyone on the roster sees this, and has some spare time, help us bring Ms. Beyond to a glorious victory before Dec14th!

For the record, Mao will declare on us. Hes Pleased with Bismarck. The only other person he'd declare war on would be Hatty (Annoyed), but he wouldn't walk all his units around the continent.

Good point. I guess he might truck around the continent to get Hatty (which would be good for the Biz/Hatty war, but I think you're right: we're gonna get attacked.

Well, he could not have picked a worse place to attack. He's got stacks of 3 or 4 troops coming at our troop repository. Plus, it will cancel his defensive pact with Huayna which will be good.

I should be able to put some more time in on Monday, and then even more later in the week. I do want to see this game finished before the deadline, even though I think we have zero chance at any awards.

(Watch, now it will end in about 7 turns with an Egyptian diplomatic victory.)

It could end in seven turns, but I really doubt it. Kublai would vote for us. Mao would abstain. Bismarck would abstain. I don't think the combined force of Hatty, Mansa and Huayna can give her a Diplo Victory.

Kodii, are there good times for you to play this one this week? I'd really like to finish before Thursday. I might get some turns in later today, but I'm going to prioritize SGOTM3 since I'm up there.

If I can play later today, I'll post and go. If you can take it, do the same. Sound good?

Sounds good, although I doubt I'll be able to get any time in. If we are really close to finishing before the 14th, I may even try playing in the dead of the night. :lol:

Okay, good to know. I should be able to play tomorrow, so we'll see how far I get then. I'll probably post quick updates (and our saves) after each turnset. The quality of play will likely be less than in SGOTM3. (Err, I hope my play is better there.)

Top Bottom