SGOTM 12 - Spooks

I think most rushed to build it themselves.

Why dont the rest of you that arent signed up sign up for Team GONG in the Multi Team Demogame?

Team The Council is also doing fine and always looking for talented members :D

Fine thing about this game is, you can scale your participation from once a week to 168 hours a week - just as your RL and other games allow it.

And the early MGL too? I don't think that we were lucky with this at all. :crazyeye: The SoZ was of marginal utility. By the time it got into the game, we were already building MDIs. Besides we weren't the only team to capture it. It's almost half-expected that you will if you are careful.

As for the GLight, it certainly had its uses. However, there was a big downside too. Without it (and the early MGL), we would never have hatched our mad scheme to take out France before guns, when it turned out that we didn't even have to. Had it been necessary, it would have been a major coup. But it wasn't.

As it was, we lost time taking down nearer targets like Egypt and India. We also had the considerable cost of hanging on to a leader for (what?) forty turns.
Well the luck was it was built for us and we could rather invest our shields into swords & MDI (and Aztecs and Japanese did not build units in the meantime).

And to go for Paris that early still was the right move. Klarius took Paris in turn 148 (24 behind us) and built FP there in 156 (31 later than us).
Had we taken it in our first attempt (I'll replay that, for sure), on turns 93/94, it would have been even more deciding.
We can't know whether Joan would have managed to get some salt somewhere if we had not pressed on. :hammer:
To delay to use our leader for 55 (!) turns was tough of course, I can't remember a similar test of my patience :crazyeye:

But even more than Paris I think, the whole strategy to focus on expansion / worker farming over science really payed off. We had Japtec island 18 turns earlier while team Klarius passed us in science, they needed 16 turns less from beginning of MA to Education than we did.
But later on they had 8-9-turn research while we had 4-5 turns.
Industrial Ages we entered already 16 turns ahead of them. :smug:

Well the luck was it was built for us and we could rather invest our shields into swords & MDI (and Aztecs and Japanese did not build units in the meantime).
We quite invested our shields into military. This, I think, was the right decision. Like everyone else who did this, we captured it. Where's the luck? As for wonder-happy AIs, there's nothing new there.

And to go for Paris that early still was the right move.
It was premature, and we knew it at the time. For one thing, we only had five towns. If we had, for example, taken Thebes, Memphis and Persepolis first (which our forces were in position to do), we would have been able to go after France with a stronger force and have enough cities for the FP when we got there.

Klarius took Paris in turn 148 (24 behind us) and built FP there in 156 (31 later than us).
We quite properly kept the focus on the prize. Yes. Had we attacked Egypt first we would have had the FP even earlier. In fact, earlier than if our first attempt succeeded. We thought we had to make this premature attempt because it would be too late after the discovery of guns.

Had we taken it in our first attempt (I'll replay that, for sure), on turns 93/94, it would have been even more deciding.
Getting there with enough cities to build an FP would have been even more decisive.

2) We have a new guy, SilentEcho, on the main GOTM forum, and he's got WackenOpenAir's Civ3 discs! What does this mean for team Spooks? Could they have finished already, with their last save at 950ad, posted 5 days ago? That would be a perfectly reasonable diplo date under normal circumstances, but in this game it would be absolutely stunning. I guess we'll know over the next week or so if they have any more saves coming out. Their thread isn't cold, however, with Wacken posting today...

That will teach us what can be a spoiler... :D

:wow: Wacken, you really get things going. Gifted your C3C CDs away to make sure the fever wont catch you again?!? :nono:
I had thought the successful poker player should have self discipline and a strong will and won't need to bypass temptations... :lol:

That will teach us what can be a spoiler... :D

:wow: Wacken, you really get things going. Gifted your C3C CDs away to make sure the fever wont catch you again?!? :nono:
I had thought the successful poker player should have self discipline and a strong will and won't need to bypass temptations... :lol:

Indeed, that seemed like the best way to stop playing civ3 :)

Hehe, the lack of discipline is my biggest problem. Not in the pokergame itself, but certainly in the time i spend on poker. I do just enough to survive while i could have been rich if i played full time. :sad:

Indeed, that seemed like the best way to stop playing civ3 :)
Maybe we can get you as a lurker in the next SGotm. You won't gift your Excel away, will you? :D

I wonder what strategic computer game you play with CIV being crap and C3C lacking competition here lately :(
Or no computer games at all anymore? :eek: :cry:

btw: I just read Gotm37 spoilers and I'm deeply im- and depressed because I joined the show that late (Gotm 39). Those were the days... :cry:

Thank you. Congrats on another great game! :goodjob:

Just to let the busy teams think our thread is still hot... :p

Nice game guys, and an impressive display of MM/attention to detail. Lots to learn here but I really liked the the use of workers to speed pop growth. I'll definitely be back to this thread for reference on future games.

I definitely thought Zoe should not have wasted the shields on SoZ, and also we would need more beakers to get through industrial ages faster (research sanitation). On these I think I was definitely more in tune with your strategies. I failed to convince my teammates on these points and each would have saved us time. We also had an ill-planned war with Rome that cost us some time.

I thought the Zoe strategy of fostering AI growth to get some trading partners was a good strategy, but clearly did not reach your level of success in the hands of Zoe.

Congratulations on a brilliant effort, gentlemen.

guys, you played this game really fantastic :goodjob:

Our strategy not to take Paris and get them as trading partners obviously didn't work out that well here...

Thank you. :)

You guys earn my full respect for reading all these posts... :eek:
Maybe one day I will add a post with links to all turn logs for quicker reference :lol:

Actually I got so sick of trawling through pages to find when civ A started wonder X that I copied all turnlogs into a word file - I could post it here if there's any interest
edit - I guess links to the logs would be neater though

Top Bottom