SGOTM 16 - Plastic Ducks

WB all way, we need it in any case either scouting south or net for 2nd city, but not sure what we want to whip in Tours. Therefore, if not Lib, then the OF is not enough to finish WB in the fastest way.

Scouting is important, although I fear barb galleys a lot now. But I buy it.:D WB it is.

Tell me, about Chariot movement, 1NW then 1SE. or 2N2W? First possibility can reveal spot in time to adjust galley movement to get there in the fastest way.

NW and then 1SW, which is a coast hill tile to reveal seafood. Basically, scouts along the coast in zigzag way.

Actually, coast hill doesn't make any difference in scouting sea. A bit stupid. Except if you have land tile in between which is not a hill or forest.

Any idea to make PPP better?

Coastal tile to reveal seafood and hill tile to reveal more land tiles. The idea is to find seafood as priority.

I don't have more suggestions, maybe kossin has some ideas when he is back tonight.

Edit: if you have time, you can think about the location of Mars

1. As placed in the test, 3E of Paris -- closer (less maintenance), shared more tile with Paris, can clear the forest which lead to faster clam city later.
2. include the Pig -- faster growth later when borrowing Pig from Rh

Also start to check whether Ram gets Alpha, I wish he was Toku, who almost guarantee to research Alpha early.

Coastal tile to reveal seafood and hill tile to reveal more land tiles. The idea is to find seafood as priority.

I don't have more suggestions, maybe kossin has some ideas when he is back tonight.

Edit: if you have time, you can think about the location of Mars

1. As placed in the test, 3E of Paris -- closer (less maintenance), shared more tile with Paris, can clear the forest which lead to faster clam city later.
2. include the Pig -- faster growth later when borrowing Pig from Rh

Also start to check whether Ram gets Alpha, I wish he was Toku, who almost guarantee to research Alpha early.

Maintenance 3E is 2.25 at size 1 and 2.46 when it also grabs Pig (and coastal, of course). I did think about that position but thought we'd want more cottages to grow there. However it has occurred to me that most of the tiles shared will be farms if we ever want to grow Paris. Therefore fish + pig seems better and better to me. We'll be able to whip that city and whip Rheims a bit less. Also, whip anger is less of an issue if distributed to 2 cities since each one drops anger by one tenth per turn. I am thinking out loud. I like that idea a lot. Maintenance would be more than covered by better and earlier infra and growth. Micro, OTOH, will be more demanding with all that sharing but we can't start considering that. :)

Toku. :D I'd rather pick Joao. Who'd also settle many cities for us and would let them go easier.:)

Those shared grassland tiles should be cottages for the future OU city, on the other hand, the clam city can help as well. If you prefer option 2, then you need to adjust the micro of Rh and Mars a bit. Whip the granary in Rh in T93.;)

Will do when I get to my computer. We also gain 3F with new Marseilles. I know you know that but I am writing obvious stuff to those who are busy right now. Also, I believe Currency is still T101 although we'll lose some research by not working unimproved fish.

My inputs:

T91 Orleans, work on deer instead of horse.

T93 Tours: move citizen from the oasis to pig (just a reminding)

T94 Orleans: switch to train setter for 1 turn

vote to found Mars at 4E1N of Paris

T91
Rheims: send the worker 1S of Rheims instead. This allows to place the turn of road between the pig and corn... it also prepares the road for Marseilles.

?Marseilles: possibility to work Pig instead? (haven't checked if this makes any difference in growth)

T93
Rheims : no preference, same end result.

(reminder) Chartres starts on granary

@sossos
In the real game, Orleans has Judaism so no need to build settler for 1t.
Agree with 4E1N for Marseilles.

@sossos

Your ideas are in conflict with main stream (T95 WB and T97 settler). Could you please elaborate your reasons for T96 settler and T97 WB? You do know we don't know where to settle 2nd city yet while not working fish for 2 turns loses 6 food for sure and we also lose some yield from Orleans. Maybe you were motivated by option of growing while whipping (if we work deer T91 we could do that)? I thought not having T95 WB is more criplling and you also lose one turn of horses in Orleans if you whip to 3. Checked: You didn't mean that. We lose some commerce but gain food, hammers and flexibility.

@kossin

1S of Rheims it is.

T93 whip gives more pig to Marseilles, I think.

?Marseilles: possibility to work Pig instead? (haven't checked if this makes any difference in growth)

I admit I didn't really get it. Instead of what? Fish? My idea was working on pig. Other micro stuff in my mind are past T95.

Hey Ducks.

@shaka
Took a look at the PPP and though I can't test it in game, you have my green light :goodjob: for the last version, even though my personal style would have me settle Marseille 3E of Paris instead, as I'm very fond of growing cottages quickly with 2 cities. However, I don't have any significant evidence from testing/calculations that this is worth it, so I trust your good judgement.

@all
I am very sorry for my long silence, but I have to say that this new life is waaaaay harder than I expected.
To keep things short, let's just say that my older one is up all day, my newborn is up all night, and in the meantime I still have to get to work and earn my salary....
You can imagine where this kind of "lifestyle" leads after a couple of weeks : my amount of free time has been reduced to almost zero, and whenever that happens, I can't think of anything else than my pillow....

All this nonsense to say that I fear that I won't be able to get back into the game soon. Thanks to all your good work writing detailed posts, I'm still able to follow the course of the game when I have time at work, but I have not turned my personal laptop on for 2 weeks, and I still can't see that happening in the near future!...

I'm not retiring from the game, but I had to let you know that I won't be posting / contributing much in the next weeks. But whenever I can catch a break, you guys will be my n.1 priority !!

Good luck ducks and keep it up!!

Yes, instead of Fish. I guess it's only a reminder then.

Things look good for me :goodjob:

I didn't introduce changes to PPP until just now so no wonder you were confused. You gave green light with :goodjob:?:)

Hey Ducks.

@shaka
Took a look at the PPP and though I can't test it in game, you have my green light :goodjob: for the last version, even though my personal style would have me settle Marseille 3E of Paris instead, as I'm very fond of growing cottages quickly with 2 cities. However, I don't have any significant evidence from testing/calculations that this is worth it, so I trust your good judgement.

We'll have to farm some tiles anyway since Paris is food poor and clam city will be able to help with growing cottages decently. Marseilles, on the other hand, will become very useful city. If that brings you any comfort, I don't usually build more than 4 cottages in my games and almost never use helper cities to grow cottages and it works well for me. :)

@all
I am very sorry for my long silence, but I have to say that this new life is waaaaay harder than I expected.
To keep things short, let's just say that my older one is up all day, my newborn is up all night, and in the meantime I still have to get to work and earn my salary....
You can imagine where this kind of "lifestyle" leads after a couple of weeks : my amount of free time has been reduced to almost zero, and whenever that happens, I can't think of anything else than my pillow....

Well, I can recall I didn't sleep much more than 4 hours per day and it was always divided in 5-6 intervals between May and July. And it was my first and only child. You are a true hero and father sacrificing and enduring all that. Hope you get some sleep and some time for yourself and your hobbies (that was even worse to me than not sleeping).

All this nonsense to say that I fear that I won't be able to get back into the game soon. Thanks to all your good work writing detailed posts, I'm still able to follow the course of the game when I have time at work, but I have not turned my personal laptop on for 2 weeks, and I still can't see that happening in the near future!...

I'm not retiring from the game, but I had to let you know that I won't be posting / contributing much in the next weeks. But whenever I can catch a break, you guys will be my n.1 priority !!

Good luck ducks and keep it up!!

It's a long game ahead.

Hint: If your baby is struggling with sleep, turn your hair drier on (on cold so you don't burn anything and so that you save electricity). This was such a relief for my wife and me and baby when we found that out. :)

my amount of free time has been reduced to almost zero, and whenever that happens, I can't think of anything else than my pillow....

I totally understand this, the 1st 2 years is the toughest time, I got my mother and mother-in law to help in the 1st year. Just take this game as a leisure of reading.:)

Hint: If your baby is struggling with sleep, turn your hair drier on (on cold so you don't burn anything and so that you save electricity). This was such a relief for my wife and me and baby when we found that out. :)

The major problem of new born baby is that he/she needs to eat every 2~3 hours, waking up in the midnight time is painful.

I totally understand this, the 1st 2 years is the toughest time, I got my mother and mother-in law to help in the 1st year. Just take this game as a leisure of reading.:)

The major problem of new born baby is that he/she needs to eat every 2~3 hours, waking up in the midnight time is painful.

You know what, I still think all that discomfort is nothing compared with teenage years. I have a daughter and when she starts dating in some 13-14 years... God give me strength.:)

Edit: While I was writing this, my baby fell asleep listening to some mid to loud Prodigy. If I had my mother or mother in law around here, they'd scorn me. Good thing about being on your own.

Duckweed, green light? We need one more.

@Shaka

I just checked the past discussion today. I think I can give you a green light. We suppose that there is some good spot at that island, but we are not sure. T97 WB is definitely worse by 4F than T95, and by 5F than T94.

Let's see what we can find on the island.

@Bebe

Enjoy life, enjoy your bébé. The baby changes every day during the first 3 months. Take a photo every day and he/she'll enjoy it years later.

Top Bottom