SGOTM 17 - Unusual Suspects

We are getting there. Pork Central has a lib, and supercity has one 1/3rd built.

The first GS is always vital, but the second and third a bit less so. If we had more trading partners there would be more reason to bulb techs, but we don't.

Oh, my bad. I thought it had a lib already.

Argh! Worldbuildering the test game is driving me crazy. If I add iron to the map of Chris' 250 BC save for some reason we lose hammers in Phantastic such that the archer comes out 2 turns after the settler. If I don't open WB, the archer is done 1 turn after the settler like it is suppose to. :hammer2:

And we are 2 hammers shy of having the granary finish on the right turn in Pork Central, but because it is only producing 1 hammer at the moment it comes out 2 turns late in the test. I could just add a granary on the right turn, but that completely screws up the hammer overflow.

I will tweak with it more tomorrow.

To make things come out right, add a mine or pigs or quarry or whatever you need for a turn or two, and then remove them. But you probably already knew that.

Revent is UP! If he is unable to play, it would be Deckhand's turn.
Proposed roster/current status:
  • ChrisShaffer (t0-t32)
  • neilmeister (t32-t55)
  • Trystero (t55-t69) - just played
  • Revent - UP!
  • Deckhand
  • SteelHorse
  • Benginal

If we don't hear from Revent, I'd like to propose swapping with SteelHorse.
I won't have time for much of anything until next Friday (3/29).
Then I will have a lot more time.
Spoiler :
My job ends Thursday. Then I am retiring. A bunch of personal stuff to do. taxes and more Then more time for games! :mischief:

Spoiler :
Then I will have a lot more time.
Spoiler :
Still not as much as neilmeister

I am at a board game convention through Sunday.
Sweet. :cool:

Oh i wish i could retire, i have 20 years to go probably.

Congrats Deckhand. Glad to hear your Civ4 time will be increasing.

That's not a problem SH. Since both you and Deckhand can't play until before the en of next week, let's keep the current order.

If Revent doesn't check in, I could play another mini-turnset in the interim, or we could just do more testing. I will be traveling next week, but should have internet access. I will have to load Civ4 and BUFFY on my new laptop. I will do that and have another go at the test save today.

After looking a bit at the map, here are a couple of thoughts from a strategic perspective.

First, given the high ratio of EP Mansa has on us, it is likely that we are semi isolated in the NE corner of the map. We will know soon enough as the chariot heads west. Also, given that we are #1 in production, by quite a bit, it is likely that everyone has a scarcity of hammer producing options. The map appears to be food rich.

Assuming we are semi-isolated, it is important get to the other AI quickly for more trade options. Mansa has a good 900 beakers on us. Also, we may want a preemptive strike at some point to slow him down and capture the Buddhist holy city, especially if he builds a shrine. He can tech Theo now, he may even go for the AP.

Also, good to get to AI quickly to see how they are doing from a tech perspective, and potentially stir up trouble. Not a bad idea to send a missionary to the foreign land as well to see if we can get a Buddhist ally.

So one option is to beeline. The benefit is that is gets us some hammer producing options (forge and workshops) and improved trade route option (harbors) along the way. It also is on the path the Astro, which will be needed unless we find the rest of the AI to the west.

The other options is Aes->Lit for the Great Lib. The benefit here is the extra research, but even with the marble, it will still take some time, given our low production to get built. That said, if we could get the Mids (maybe chop out in iron city?) with the stone hooked up and switch to Rep, SE would be quite strong. Combined with the Rathouse would give us some good expansion options.

In terms of war options, again assuming semi-isolated, getting a foothold in foreign land early will be helpful. First to astro and some mace and trebs may net some land. But will not know until we find some potential victims.

I dont think options are mutually exclusive.

Phantastic is a great city to build parthenon in. As you say, a mids chop iron city looks attractive. Then NE in supercity probably.

This is immortal, so we cant make assumptions about wonders, but these would seem to be a killer combo. Once we start warring, we will be hard pressed to keep our ecnomy going otherwise.

So, i still like aesth and lit first, hopefully by then we will have abetter idea of if there is a way out without astro.

I think we should build a second scouting chariot. If we find multiple paths through Mansa's territory, it would be best to have the unit on the way now. If not, it can return for MP duty.

With stone and marble, we should be popping out the key wonders now.

So one option is to beeline. The benefit is that is gets us some hammer producing options (forge and workshops) and improved trade route option (harbors) along the way. It also is on the path the Astro, which will be needed unless we find the rest of the AI to the west.

I should know this, but beeline what?

Top Bottom