[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Xteam

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 25 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished.

The Maintenance Thread is now open for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest. You will find the Game Details in the first posts of the Maintenance Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, they will be posted in that thread.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck with the game. Enjoy!

Last edited:

China probably has the longest continuous written history (3,500 years) of any country in the world. Now it’s your turn to be the leader of China at one of its most dangerous perishing moments.

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”--------Confucius
“Passivity is fatal to us. Our goal is to make the enemy passive."---------Mao Zedong

The game will start from Classic age, and the Difficulty level will be Deity. You will start with Ancient Techs and More.

Mao, the Chinese leader, will be rated by 7 ministry members in the Political Bureau when the victory comes. The maximum points which can be scored by each member is 100 points.

The faster team winning the game with 420 points will be awarded the laurel. If two team wins at the same turn, the team with higher points wins.
  • Culture Ministry: 100 points * the total culture of the top 3 cities/150,000
  • Diplomatic Ministry: 25 points for being AP leader, 25 points for being UN leader, 50 points for diplomatic victory votes: 25 points * AP victory votes % / 75%+ 25 points* UN victory votes % / 67%
  • Civil Ministry: 100 points* (81-the sum of 9 ranks) /72
  • Military Ministry: 30 points * population% / 35% + 30 points * Land area % / 60% + 40 points * (destroyed civilization + vassal civilization )/ 8
  • Science Ministry: 100 points * eras of all techs learned / 7
  • Economy Ministry: 100 points * cities with corporation / total cities (except barbarians)
  • Construction Ministry: 100 points * wonders owned/25. (All wonders(world+national) count.)
(points will be rounded down for each member before being summed up)

Your starting area
Click for a full size image [maybe not exact, but close enough]

Game Options
Rivals: 8 AIs
Difficulty: Deity
Starting Era: Classical
Bonus Techs: All Ancient Techs; Mathematics, Code of Laws, Drama, Metal Casting, Machinery, Iron Working, Philosophy and Communism
Bonus Units: a bomber, a great spy and a great prophet.
Bonus Wonders: Great Wall
Speed: Normal
Options: No Events, No Goody Huts
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings
Map: Custom
Mapsize: Standard

Mao is Expansive and Protective
Unique Unit: Cho-Ku-Nu
Unique Building: Pavilion

Timetable

The team discussion threads are open.

The team saves should be available here by January 20th

In order to give you plenty of time to complete this game, the completion deadline will be April 30th. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

=================================

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, and with the BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod installed.
  • You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or newer versions are encouraged to read the notes on Windows fixes here.
  • If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.
  • Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game.
  • You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading this SGOTM 24 save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, with no errors or warnings, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
Team Lists

Here are the current team lists:

Last edited:
Last edited:
TEAM RULES
  • [*]Have fun!
  • Read the various rule threads posted by AlanH.
    [*]Before playing every single turnset, verify that your ini file has the autosave interval set to 1.
    [*]Before playing every single turnset, verify that the BUFFY log is enabled.
  • After uploading your save file, post BOTH the CivFanatics log (displayed on the upload confirmation web page) and the BUFFY log.
  • No reloads! We get one shot, no replays, period!
  • No reading other team threads. The easiest way to do this is to use the thread tools to subscribe to this thread. You could also bookmark the thread.
  • When looking at the save, do not perform any irreversible action. Do not move units, whip, or trade.
  • The flying camera exploit is banned.
  • If the game crashes, stop and PM AlanH with the details of what happened. Wait for instructions from AlanH before proceeding.
  • Do not open auto saves except to recover from a crash.
  • Stop and consult the team for advice if a new opportunity presents itself.
  • Stop and consult the team if anything goes wrong.
  • Stop and consult the team if you make a mistake. We've all done it, we won't bite, just be open and honest.

Strongly Recommended

• Make manual saves often, preferably every turn, at the beginning and end of the turn, in case we need to review diplomacy screens or other metrics.
  • Pause the game before uploading or examining it.
  • Put TEST flags on the map on test games, and name test games so it's obvious they aren't the real game.
  • Let us know if you are unable to make a deadline, get too busy in real life, or are going offline for vacation.
  • Do not automate workers.
  • Do not use city governors.
  • Do not leave units on goto orders.

Etiquette
  • Active participation -- Your contribution to every set is important, even if it's an 'I agree.' Although everyone might have real life issues sometimes, it's courteous to notify the team of your absence.
  • Pre-Play Plan -- The spirit of succession games is to play the game following the consensus of the team decision. Therefore the player who is UP should post a clear plan for discussion. It might be that the team decides to head in a direction you were opposed to, it does not mean you are wrong but rather that the team believes the odds of winning are more likely with the decided approach.
  • Timing -- We will stick to a schedule in order to complete this game within the ironcast deadline. It is still important to reach consensus and ensure quality of play.
  • Please, please, please include a report when you submit the save, complete with the CivFanatics log AND the BUFFY log. You may submit your report later but it would be preferable to have it before the discussion on the next set starts.
  • Finish all your discussed turns and upload the game saved at the END of the discussed part.
  • Don't be afraid to post things that may appear stupid or evident. Each player has strengths and weaknesses. There are numerous examples in the earlier SGOTM threads when the most simple rule has been unknown to players (such as the difference between peace treaty and cease fire). Don't be afraid that other members will think you are stupid.
  • Don't play intoxicated. Don't play when you are too tired. Don't play when your kids or spouse are talking to you.
  • Respect your team mates, and demand their respect. Take care of your writing style. Accept that people whose first language is not English will use English in a different way than you are used to. Disagree by all means, but don't make it personal, and don't take it personally.
  • Use smilies and emoticons in your posts. Jokes, humor, sarcasm, and offensive language can be misinterpreted.
  • Remember that a lot of players read what we post. Don't be rude or disrespectful to any player not on our team.
  • SG's are team games. Be a good team member. Post your ideas, argue your case, and encourage and praise your team mates. Don't be afraid to post in our game thread. That is what it's for.
  • Have fun!

Settings
  • Please set your Graphics setting on the main options screen to check "detailed city info". This tells how many turns until finishing build and how many turns until city growth. This is beneficial for screenshots.

• Please set the following option in the Buffy setting (Ctrl-Alt-O) under the clock tab, uncheck "alternate game clock" and uncheck "completed percentage" while checking "completed turns" and "game date and golden age turns".

• When referring to tiles in relation to another tile, please use a number for each direction such as 2S1E, as opposed to stating 2SE. 2SE could be interpreted as 2S1E or 2S2E.

• When referring to a specific date/turn, please refer to the turn number, not the date. (feel free to add the date with the turn number.)

• When referring to a turn when a unit or building/wonder is completed, please state the turn that the unit is produced and ready to move, or for buildings/wonders, state the turn that the build queue announces that a building/wonder is completed and a new build needs to be chosen.

*Copied from various team threads in previous SGOTM games.

Last edited:
Roster

Frederiksberg - at bat
Cactus Pete
leif erikson
neilmeister
Noble Zarkon
Ozbenno

Known absences

None

Turnset Report

1st set of turns - Frederiksberg - Golden Age, civics changes and scouting.
2nd set of turns - Frederiksberg - Worker stealing and war preparations.

Last edited:
OK I've reserved a few posts to make sure we have a place to keep stuff on the front page.

I would rather someone else took the lead in terms of gameplay but don't mind doing admin stuff.

Would be good to know what level everyone is comfortable at as we start given it is now a Deity game.

NZ - Emperor
neilmeister - Immortal
leif erikson -Emperor
Ozbenno - Emperor
Cactus Pete - Deity

Last edited:
Administrative stuff is the tedious, no-fun part. Thanks for taking that on, NZ. Game play will probably work itself out.

Like to think I'm a Deity player, but can't remember when, or how I did, the last time I played a Deity BtS game.

Thanks NZ, I knew I wasn't up for captain.
I am fairly comfortable on Immortal, in BtS anyway.
Deity is always hard and you rely on luck a lot.

Normally that would be true, leif, but with your vast experience and spectacular skill in the performance we should be fine, even if you're starting late. Besides, your favorite, the peruperu Haka, invokes the god of war, so a Deity game is made for the X-team.

Deity.... bring it!!

Hi guys! Nice to be back.

I don't think this game will resemble a Deity game because of all the bonuses. The map-maker has been really kind as far as I can see. That said, the map could of course have many hidden challenges.

The bomber is awesome for scouting in the early phase and later it will allow us to save a lot of hammers because we don't need siege units. The bomber can remove cultural defenses, attack units and do collateral damage.

State Property (From communism) is another big bonus. No distance maintenance and we can build Kremlin with stone (Huge for whipping).

Also the map maker has set us up ideally for spying with an AI city right next to the capital and a GSpy. All we need to do is spread our religion to this city (I'm assuming we have a holy city) and then start stealing at discount rates.

Last thing I notice is that we have been given both stone and marble. This allows for WastinTimes "Wonderbread" strategy. His idea is to micro and improve cities for maximum food and whip liberally with overflow going into wonders. The overflow hammers are multiplied by two due to stone/marble and later payed out as fail gold. Note that the same wonder can be started in multiple cities.

Welcome aboard - I definitely agree that this won't be normal Deity, working out what to do with the free units will be critical.

Saves will be released tomorrow, I'm away for a week from lunchtime but should be able to frequent the forum but will have no access to the game. I'll check if saves are up in the morning and post all relevant information so we can start to discuss what we want to do.

Last edited:
Hi. I've released the Maintenance Thread and edited the link to it in the first post here.

Top Bottom