• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Should cities and towns put up Christmas lights?

look at the thread title.

• No!

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Yes!

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • it depends

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Yes put up Christmas lights.

Don't put up "Winter festival lights" or "Holiday lights" or "Culturally neutral celebration lights".

Just call the damn lights what they actually are, Christmas lights!

I would say yes as it does look very pretty, especially if done around the edges of buildings! And plus it has absolutely no religious connetations whatsoever so it's fun for everyone! :D Although it would cost money in electricity though...

"Unity Triangle"? Aren't most trees cone-shaped? :confused:

I don't believe in all this Political Correct posturing.

Even as someone who loathes religious nonsense, I still call the decorations
and celebrations for what they belong to - christmas. I am strong enough in
my evil belief that the mention of the enemy holy day will not affect me.

Nor am I worried about the feelings of hand-wringing wimps who are scared
of offending those of 'various' faiths...Or the imbeciles who want 15 mins of
fame by raising an issue in the media.

The christians have a holy day celebration...Big deal!

If you hate it (like me) just ignore it and laugh at them when they all have
hangovers and huge debts in January. I will salute the dark powers on the
21st with my customary SS Jule celebration. You don't see me making
a big issue about my end-of-year festivities!

:)

There is a subdivision in Houston that has a deed restriction to where you HAVE to decorate your house every year.

The subdivision is crowded with cars every night from late NOV thru New years.

No you should only do it on property you own.

The government has no obligation to endorse any religious festival.
Doesn't it make sense for the government to endorse a celebration that is celebrated by +90% of the population? We live in a democracy, after all, and I think it's fairly obvious that the vast, vast majority of people in America celebrate Christmas and aren't offended by Christmas lights.

Quite frankly, if Christmas lights offend you, then you need to seriously get a life. Of move to Antartica, or something, because that's stupid.

Christmas lights arn't religious, thus it is fine. Christmas is a secular federal holiday. And by "Christmas" I don't mean "celebration of the birth of Jesus", because that is not the main purpose of the holiday that is celebrated by people.

It's quite a different situation to put up a nativity scene, though, which is religious and thus must not be allowed.

Doesn't it make sense for the government to endorse a celebration that is celebrated by +90% of the population? We live in a democracy, after all, and I think it's fairly obvious that the vast, vast majority of people in America celebrate Christmas and aren't offended by Christmas lights.
If Christmas lights *were* religious, then it is irrelevant to whether or not a high percentage of people celebrated Christmas. Even if you don't argue that the US is not secular, you must argue that it is pluralistic, as freedom of the expression of religion is fundamental to US society. Then it is a matter of including other religious expressions as well to not endorse one religion. The argument then is the same of the inclusion of the 10 commandments in government buildings; if the 10 commandments were allowed, then other religious laws must be allowed as well.

Yes, it makes the city look nice, it's such a wonderful time of the year. Don't care if my tax money is used like that or not.

Top Bottom