Should I buy Old World yet

black213

Emperor
I very much like Civ4/5 and CK2 so I assume I would enjoy this game. Is it worth buying in its current state? My PC is quite old by now too.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, been playing it a LOT.

However, there are performance problems right now as the game is not optimized yet so if you have a very old PC it might be a bit rough. Personally I can't really finish my games reliably because the game slows down so much in the later parts of the game.

No. Its incredibly unfinished. I've had multiple games bug out and stop progressing. Lots of art assets, like units on the map are unfinished or just look terrible. Game just runs poorly as well, thats on a higher end pc.

Give this game time, it might be good. A lot of dumb mechanics, but right now it feels like a pre-alpha game. Don't purchase.

It's true that there is missing art, and the game is a work in progress in general. However, with weekly updates to the early release, it's a great chance for your feedback in these forums to make a difference in the finished product.

It is a very early access game, but I have had only one game breaking bug so far, but there are a lot of rough edges

There is a couple of bugs, but not many. The interface still needs a bit of work. The graphics too but that's not what people look for in 4X generally. The game mechanics will probably be tweaked but they are just sometimes very different from Civ, hence a different experience but once one understands it it is actually a very different and interesting way of thinking.

I have a Surface Pro 6, so no dedicated GPU, but still it runs well at low levels of graphics. Only the intro screen lags terribly for whatever reason.

I'm having load of fun with this game right now and do not regret buying it for even a second. It is IMO fully playable and I have not experienced any game breaking bugs so far (perhap 10-20 hours of gameplay). I'm not sure about my computer specs, but it's a gaming stationary that I bought rather cheap on the used market about one and a half year ago. I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days so this is basically the only game I play right now and I suspect it will be my goto game for a long time. It's very deep and interesting and will probably only get better and better over time.

For the enjoyment and experimentation alone I say it's worth it. Plus, Mohawk games deserves our support!
exactly! I bought it because it is from Soren. My PC is 6 years old, so I had to tinker a bit with the settings, but now it runs ok.

And the game itself is a lot more fun than I expected after watching some videos / let plays. Already looking forward to expansions / DLC haha.

exactly! I bought it because it is from Soren. My PC is 6 years old, so I had to tinker a bit with the settings, but now it runs ok.

And the game itself is a lot more fun than I expected after watching some videos / let plays. Already looking forward to expansions / DLC haha.
I already look forward to more future content too!

I´m having lots of performance problems as the game advances, but I would recommend it anyway: it´s lots of fun and I feel I have got my money´s worth in just the few hours I have played. Specially if you get it using one of Epic Store coupons I think it´s totally worth it.

IMHO you should never buy any game in "early access", which seems to be the new euphemism for "game is in beta" - I don't see how "I'm having fun playing" weighs up against the fact that you're buying an unfinished product. "We need to support Mohawk Games" is the equivalent of "I have plenty money and I'm spending it here". Well, that's fine for you, but not for anyone who is having performance problems.Also, 10-20 hours of gameplay is no indication the game is running as it should. You need at least several completed playthrouighs for that even to be suggested.

No offense to Mohawk or the developers, but paying for Early Access is the equivalent of having customers pay for playtesting. It's your choice, but don't expect a perfect running game, as it cannot be in this stage.

Lastly. "should I buy?" is a personal decision. The best you can hope for is some sensible input from people who did buy the game - and some from others.

Early access is pretty common in the software world, not just games. Get feedback early and often. In the end it produces products of higher quality.

Also if you buy a game in early access you usually get a discount. But of course there is the risk that the game is never finished or finished in a way you don't like.

I am a lot more skeptical towards games that do not use early access. Usually they have lots and lots of issues at launch and require several patches to be decent.

II had really fun week or two with it, but I'm already bored and have trouble finding motivation to keep playing. I just fire it up and quit the game I was in after an hour.

The ubiquity of the terrain, the homogeneity the luxuries, the ubiquity of building every building every building in every city, all compounded by having the world broken up into prescribed city-sties. This is not a game where i"m ever going to see wars fought over salt or silk or any other reason why I'd want a particular city-site, except to expand for the sake of another cookie-cutter city.

Soren Johnson said in his Explorminate interview that when he made wonders non-competitive, he received no negative feedback. Here's some negative feedback: boiling wonders down to merely stockpiling some amount of universally-available resources makes them uninterssting. Bring some of the other material resources into play (e.g. marble, gold, ore). Create terrain dependencies, insomuch as there can be such a thing right now. Do some of the same things for cities so so it doesn't feel like every city is eventually going to wind- up a center of learning, science, commerce, culture, religion, and civics.

And then there's difficulty just reading the text. Font size needs to be adjustable.

Take the novelty of all the random events and set them aside, and I don't know that there's currently much variety game to game. Hate to say all this, but I know that if people just get bored and leave, then that only leaves the designers listening to only praise. They need to hear criticism too. There are other things I like though.I like the hand of science cards, and that some cards represent breakthroughs, not just new techs. I like that there are families who grant different benefits to cities, and they have opinions of you, though I'm not sure they currently matter too much. Game's in progress, and I'll keep checking back.

fair points, the game definetly has a long way to go, but I think recent changes are very promising.It seems that the gamepace is a bit slower which should help to make end game content more useful.

It might be interesting to limit the placement of farms/quarries/mines. At the moment it feels like you can build everything anywhere with the exception of lumbermills.

Top Bottom