Should the BIC files be compressed?

Should the BIC files be compressed?

• Yes, compress them. They are too big for my tastes.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • No, they're fine the way they are.

Votes: 69 54.3%
  • I don't know and/or I don't care.

Votes: 22 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike B. FIRAXIS

Firaxian
Does anyone think the BIC files are too large? Does anyone want the BIC files to be compressed (in the same manner as the saved games)? Or are you all happy with the size of BIC files?

I think the BIC files are fine as they are. What would the purpose of compressing them other than to save space? if I remember corretly they are not even a meg in size.

Compress them.

Of course, another option would be give people the option to compress or not compress the files.

If there is not much of an impact on performance, I believe the file should be left as it is.

At 110k there is really nothing much to compress, no? ;)

The BICs are fine. Winzip is always available if you need to get it that much smaller.

110k is on the small end of the scale. They can easily be 400k +. I have several that are that large. It would appear to depend on map size for actual bic size, since the huge earth is 412k, and standard earth is 128k. I don't know if this is the only factor or not.

The size becomes an issue for those people with: limited hard drive space, large numbers of bic files, or both.

I think they should be compressed. Anything helps!

Another good reason to consider compression:

If we buy the XP, that will take up "x" amount of HD, probably 100 MB easy, maybe more.

I started out with a 20 GB system, down to a little over 6 GB now. The newer games can easily take 500 MB to 1 GB or more EACH. I have several more games, and more importantly, other software to install, it won't take long at several 100's MB+ per CD to kill the remaining 6 GB. Expanding to a bigger HD or new/another computer is not an option for most people.

Side note to Mike: while great graphics are nice window candy, better interplay will get/keep more players, as have been stated numerous times here, at CivFanatics, 1BC, etc.

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
If there is not much of an impact on performance, I believe the file should be left as it is.

At 110k there is really nothing much to compress, no? ;)

Looks fine to me...

I have a bigger hard drive...30 GB and 256 RAM........ 110k?:rolleyes:

It will not hurt my PC :jump:

To compress or not to compress that is the question!

Sorry, had to do that!

It depends on the reason for compression. To save space on HD, the effect is minimal so why bother. If you envision millions of bic files whizzing around the web and hundreds being stored on each HD (for some reason) then it might be a factor. Either way, maintaing our ability to choose is the most important factor for me.

It depends on how mush they grows when you add real scenario editing capabilities. I say, that if the files no longer fits on a floppy* they should be compressed

*in this post floppy is defined as 3"5 HD disks. Which are less floppy then 'regular' 5"25s ;)

It doesn't make much difference IMO, since Gramphos and other Civ3 utility writers know how to uncompress them to make them work with their programs. :)

Compressing the BIC files could save lots of space since Civ3 maps and scenarios are also in BIC format, not just the rules file. One day you may have hundreds of scenarios and maps on your computer...

Who knows? A scenario could take up 2 MBs, just like some uncompressed saved games.

If 200 Ko is a problem for someone in term of space, it's time to change HD much more than time to compress :)

Non-compressed files. It makes things easier if you want to tinker with the BIC using a hexe editor.

Oh, and thanks to Mike B. for asking to fan. It's a move that is fully appreciated, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Akka
If 200 Ko is a problem for someone in term of space, it's time to change HD much more than time to compress :)

As I said before, many people can't afford the upgrade or buy a new system. In order to do that, they would have to NOT BUY C3 PTW and other games; or at least delay such purchases until you could buy them in the $10 US CD case. I routinely visit 12 Civ 3 sites, talking by email/chat with scores of different people. The answers are often the same: Space is an issue.

Also, how much space is C3PTW going to take up on your system?

Originally posted by CCJ39
Don't compress them.

(Because what should I do instead to fill my 40 and my 80GB harddrive? :D )

Add other games, a typical game now takes 500 MB (1/2 GB) easy, some take 1+ GB (Shogun Total War/Warlord Edition for example).

Add other software: Utilities, DB, etc.

You may be amazed how quick 40/80 GB can be used up.

Upgraded software: i.e.: Microsoft Windows Version XYZ, any other software package(s) you have: Quicken, Money, Tax software, etc.

My sytem is down to 30% unused HD space; it went a lot quicker than I would have thought. Upgrading would cost me money I could use to buy C3PTW.

Another thing people haven't said:

The more HD (regardless of size) used, the slower your system. The slowness might be pretty unnoticeable at the start, but as you get more space used, it becomes more noticeable.

Top Bottom