Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

I was expecting this announcement soon after digging for some news not but just a few days ago, and finding a piece about the guy from Stardock saying 6 would be released this year.

I'm a little leery that this sounds more like an extension of Civ V and not a complete overhaul. Was hoping for some fresh blood. Needless to say, I won't make the same mistake of pre-ordering again.

Regardless, I don't think it is wise to get worked up over graphics from a few promo shots of what may not even be an alpha stage version. And "cartoony"? What is that? Video games are cartoons, in a way. Didn't care much for 5 graphics myself though.

Does anyone know how this differs from the basic version?

Also is there a reason to wait to pre-order? I don't want to pre-order now only to find out in a few months theres a new pre-order offer that comes with an extra civ or something.

Does anyone know how this differs from the basic version?

Also is there a reason to wait to pre-order? I don't want to pre-order now only to find out in a few months theres a new pre-order offer that comes with an extra civ or something.

Access to four upcoming DLCs and a soundtrack, I think like an anniversary edition

Super excited.

On one hand I dislike the color palette, but that can change over time and will probably be easily moddable.
I dislike the graphic style as well, although I reckon it will probably more user friendly AND I know I will get used to it in no time (but I distinctively remember to have liked the graphic style of CiV more than that of Civ IV, so it's just not that I'm used to CiV).

On the other hand I like every single word about the gameplay changes. All of them.

So all in all, I don't like the general aestetics of three screenshots, but I like a lot the gameplay changes. In my book this is a very good day. Hype mode on.

Little addendum: notice that the graphics engine looks extremely more sophisticated than that of CiV. Given the number of models on screen, I doubt that a tablet can handle this, easily. I would love to see a more zoomed out screenshot...

Why, why instead of making Civ 5 finally playable game they try to do another half-working buggy, kiddish "new version"?
Civ 5 had best ever landscape graphic, why even to change this to toyland?
Every thing and feature they introduced in Civ 5 required a lot of work. This work was done by hundreds of modders.
Why not just to take best mods, fix bugs in them, improve performance, make more logical and advanced espionage and religion (now it's half-working of to useless) and may be improve landscape a bit with some cool features like higher combined mountains, tunnels, may be hills of different height etc. etc. and combine all this to Civ6?
Why instead they try to make pity clones like Beyond Earth which are far far away from real Alpha Centari ideas?

It seems the graphic style is an of Civ 3's stylised unit design to the terrain as well. I quite liked Civ 3, so as far as I'm concerned, why not?

I just made that realization too: does this mean no workers???

I mean, I can't say it's bad, as I'm really excited about the possibilities of the new city development system, but talk about a colossal change!

(It would also remove one of the AI's weaker traits of managing workers efficiently)

It's not a colossal change. It's a Call to Power change that may have taken Firaxis 16 years to realize was the right decision.

Are we sure that these are not beta screenshots that don't show the finalized art style? The initial civ4 screenshots also looked more cartoony and weirder than the base game.

I hope they can bring back government choices instead of social policies. Civ never needed two tech trees. I also hope they focus their eye candy on wonders and other player achievements instead of leaders. I want Civ 2's wonder documentaries back.

Are we sure that these are not beta screenshots that don't show the finalized art style? The initial civ4 screenshots also looked more cartoony and weirder than the base game.

Exactly what I was thinking. They may be "screenshots" but I don't see any UI. If anything it looks like a concept then the final product.

It's not a colossal change. It's a Call to Power change that may have taken Firaxis 16 years to realize was the right decision.

Really depends if Firaxis can do it right. Personally never really liked the idea of of worker units. If anything I always thought citizens from the city screen should be improving the landscape. I wonder with workers possibly gone we will see combat engineers or sappers as support units for building forts, airfields, etc.

Well if they yank worker units then basically this is Civ Rev refined... which means you pay a lump sum of gold for roads in 1 turn, which is kinda bs... plus you cant pillage a portion of road that way.... we will see I guess... I also read they completely re-designed a victory condition as well as added a new one... I have a feeling they either added religion as a VC or like Civ Rev added in the World Bank victory which was always a dumb VC cause all you had to do was just turtle and save money and only money... Hopefully it is a religion victory or something more dynamic.

Well if they yank worker units then basically this is Civ Rev refined... which means you pay a lump sum of gold for roads in 1 turn, which is kinda bs... plus you cant pillage a portion of road that way.... we will see I guess... I also read they completely re-designed a victory condition as well as added a new one... I have a feeling they either added religion as a VC or like Civ Rev added in the World Bank victory which was always a dumb VC cause all you had to do was just turtle and save money and only money... Hopefully it is a religion victory or something more dynamic.

I'm curious why you would limit yourself to believing an Economic victory would be limited to just how much money you should have to achieve it. If anything I propose having a set amount of money in your coffers, how good your GNP/GDP is , and the percentage of influence in the world economy.

I wouldn't mind a Religion/ideology victory as well.

I'm curious why you would limit yourself to believing an Economic victory would be limited to just how much money you should have to achieve it. If anything I propose having a set amount of money in your coffers, how good your GNP/GDP is , and the percentage of influence in the world economy.

I wouldn't mind a Religion/ideology victory as well.

Yeah, as Saudi Arabia and Germany can tell you, running a huge surplus doesn't mean you're the biggest economy.

Looks promising! Guess I know what to buy as a complete edition on sale on Steam, sometime in 2018!

Top Bottom