Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

In other words, they are doing very little to fix the mistakes they made going from Civ4 to Civ5. Most of the push in the PR release is that this is going to be a 'more beautiful Civ'.

To me, Civ keeps getting blander and less and less interesting. I'm usually bored stiff by a game of Civ-BE. And since SMAC was a favorite, they should have had an easy score against me on that one. But, its boring. Usually I'm beating the AI's that seem to get worse and worse the more the 'art department' is in charge of making things 'beautiful'.

In other words, no sign of any hope that a game will come along to replace Civ4. At least not yet, and certainly not from these people who don't seem to even have a clue.

A lot of pessimism in this thread.

A cool thing is that they are keeping all of the features from the "post-expanded" Civ 5, like religion, which isn't par for the course with the series. A good change!

Graphics look so-so, but the gameplay changes sound very interesting, and I'm looking forward to it! I hope they do great music once again too, and that the music-lover guy at Firaxis is still around to force it through. :)

A lot of pessimism in this thread.

A cool thing is that they are keeping all of the features from the "post-expanded" Civ 5, like religion, which isn't par for the course with the series. A good change!

Graphics look so-so, but the gameplay changes sound very interesting, and I'm looking forward to it! I hope they do great music once again too, and that the music-lover guy at Firaxis is still around to force it through. :)

Yeah I don't get it why. I understand people are careful, but still. I was a little suspicious when they announced it, but once I read that there will be features from Expansions which means they are not going to strip it I really got excited.

No reason to be that pessimistic.

Looks like some interesting news. I was not a huge fan of Civilization 5 but I will definitely take a look at Civilization 6 and see how it gets received by the community for the first few months before making a decision on buying. First and foremost, I'm glad that they're dialing back the 1 unit per tile restriction. Second, I really hope the AI will be better, but it seems like every game says that.

I don't particularly like the graphics, but to me it's the game play that matters and I'll get the game if the game play is high quality.

For me a make-or-break factor would be the price tag. I didn't get CivBERT when it was released and it turned out like a good idea since it would have been a really bad mistake because I lost interest in it. I don't like preordering and stuff since it kinda smells fishy and I certainly won't shell out that much on a game (I never actually did).

And if it turns out the game is underwhelming, I might not even get it at all.

The cartoony graphics don't seem to fit well, but maybe that's some really first pre alpha doodles and it won't be anything near later

For me a make-or-break factor would be the price tag. I didn't get CivBERT when it was released and it turned out like a good idea since it would have been a really bad mistake because I lost interest in it.
Sadly, me too. And I loved SMAC. What is the cheapest price BERT has gone for? I would pick up a BE:Complete for $20.

I don't like preordering and stuff since it kinda smells fishy and I certainly won't shell out that much on a game (I never actually did).
I am with you on these two points.

And if it turns out the game is underwhelming, I might not even get it at all.
I am confident that I will purchase it, eventually. When the price is right. I waited a couple years on V, and I have few regrets about that.

Can't believe they have kept 1upt, though slightly modified, it made Civ 5 insufferable even with the Brave New World improvements. It made for me the military side of the game awful and boring. So because of that I didn't like the game at all, and i've played since Civ 2. They could have just implemented a 5 Units per tile limit for military units to prevent massive stacks, 5 units a stack would be good.(I fortified 5 defensive units in all my cites on Civ 4) Also what narked me on 5 was the map size, only having 4 cities is rubbish, I was irritated to normally only have 8 on Civ 4, but on 5 even less cities and having a smaller map meant less Civilization's, I liked playing with 16 on Civ 3 and have lots of cities to manage. The small map sizes look like remaining. Glad Civ 5 religion is the same though and I hope World Congress also remains. Another thing I liked about Civ 5 was the graphics and the graphics on this look like Revolutions(a wretched game), which is a backwards step. Sort of like the changes in city management and diplomacy. I hope we don't have political correct equality on leaders though I.E Dido for Carthage or Theodora for Byzantium both out of place, should be a option on what leader for each civ. Would have liked to have Governments back also.

Civ Rev 3 coming soon?

Art direction :thumbsdown: Looks like a kid's game :sad:

Worse than that; it looks cheap and tacky. At least to me.

And none of the additions to the gameplay -- at least what they've shown off in the previews so far -- impresses me so much that I'm convinced to jump ship from a version with a vibrant, enjoyable atmosphere (Civ V).

Cities expanding over multiple tiles is something I've suggested for a long time, but things like "campus districts" seems a bit of a goofy way to do it (a whole tile for a campus district?), and doesn't seem radically different than the Landmark system in Civ V. I always thought combined arms was a good idea, but I don't know about the implementation either. And even if it turns out good, I don't know if the rest of the game that goes with it is worth the trade-off.

In all, I'm just left unimpressed and unexcited.

I could care less if the graphics are a bit more Civ Rev like, as long as the gameplay improvements continue the growth pattern we've seen in the last few expansions.

Whatever the graphics, game play, strategy, whatever it is?? Someone will have a moan about it. It could be the best Civ game ever but somewhere and someone will think it's crap and that something is wrong!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Whatever the graphics, game play, strategy, whatever it is?? Someone will have a moan about it. It could be the best Civ game ever but somewhere and someone will think it's crap and that something is wrong!

Or it could be the worst Civ game ever, but someone will say its great, or attack the people who criticize it.

Screenshots instantly reminded me of Civ Rev, but now I'm thinking that maybe it'll b less graphics intense, not too bad as long as they create a nice atmosphere which they are capable of doing.
It's an interesting ideas to add that extra, probably needed by now, depth to the cities. We'll have to wait and see if the processing problems are fixed however...

Thank God for the modding community. Those swordsmen in the second screenshot look like they were recycled from Clash of Clans.

In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

Yep, they've gone completely casual.

I just checked Steam: I haven't played [civ5] since 2010. Which means I've played more [civ4], [civ3], and yes even [civ2] in that time. This drive towards lighter, more simple games doesn't help the genre.

But I do honestly hope it lives up to all the expectation of those who are in. Just going to be the first one I don't own.

Top Bottom