Single Player bugs and crashes v43 plus (SVN) - After January 2023

Hey there, playing the Beta 8026, and I noticed something quite different from the current official V43 : the AI does not like to settle new cities. But maybe it has something to do with the options I used in this game.
I use the combination of "City starts with one tile" and "Realistic culture spread" so maybe the AI does not see the point of building a city with only one tile in the beginning.
Or it comes from the "Happiness penalty" which penalizes overexpansion, but I remember a game in V43 where one AI did not hesitate to have 24 unhappiness penalty from overexpansion.
Another option that might be problematic would be "Strict vicinity", making new cities less interesting, I don't know.
I included my save, I play in immortal, we are reaching the end of prehistory, I have 5 cities and a majority of the AI opponents only have their first city, a few have 2, but it's rare.
It's true that the settler units can be very expensive, but here clearly the AI does not like to build them
Rome has more cities than you, six cities and a tribe on its way to settle a seventh. Aztecs have 4 cities, Siam has 3. The AI does tend to get faster at settling in the ancient era. There are 16 players on this huge map size, and I think some of them spawned from barbarian cities and are thus behind the curve compared to the starting civs. I think this is just this game naturally developing a bit different from your last games, that the difference you observe is mostly coincidence and not significant unless you see the same in every game you now play.

Keep playing and report back on how things develop in the next era.

Last edited:
I see, this is not as bad as I thought but it's weird that settling new cities isn't really the priority for some civs. At least on my continent they do not expand much. Another thing I noticed is the AI likes to build its second tribe in their newly found city, so it just takes forever to build

Hey there, playing the Beta 8026, and I noticed something quite different from the current official V43 : the AI does not like to settle new cities. But maybe it has something to do with the options I used in this game.
I use the combination of "City starts with one tile" and "Realistic culture spread" so maybe the AI does not see the point of building a city with only one tile in the beginning.
Or it comes from the "Happiness penalty" which penalizes overexpansion, but I remember a game in V43 where one AI did not hesitate to have 24 unhappiness penalty from overexpansion.
Another option that might be problematic would be "Strict vicinity", making new cities less interesting, I don't know.
I included my save, I play in immortal, we are reaching the end of prehistory, I have 5 cities and a majority of the AI opponents only have their first city, a few have 2, but it's rare.
It's true that the settler units can be very expensive, but here clearly the AI does not like to build them
There are a lot of possible reasons but the most common hold up is the perceived danger of attempting to send out settling stacks when there are known or perceived threats in the area.
Could also be a lack of income.
other competing priorities like canine unit expansion or war
Flabbert had really eased up on them and they were growing like weeds for a while there... Not sure what may have changed.

I localized the problem - the source is blocked by Ukraine. Apparently, as a particularly dangerous and disseminating terrible Russian propaganda, nothing less. Switched to VPN - everything worked
Idiots gonna idiot, no news there.

I localized the problem - the source is blocked by Ukraine. Apparently, as a particularly dangerous and disseminating terrible Russian propaganda, nothing less. Switched to VPN - everything worked
Hmm, works fine from Kyiv. Must be your ISP.

Here is another weird thing : I believe new ressources are spawning a bit too often, and a bit randomly. I understand that you can find some cereals on a farm or metals on a mine, but it seems any kind of ressource can appear without regards to what kind of improvement is built there, I also often have ressources spawning on the plot of the city itself. I noticed that problem on the official release as well, but last night on the beta I had three ressources spawning in like 10 turns, on epic speed, and I have only six cities without very big cultural influence yet, I think the problem might be that every different ressource is checked for appearance every turn rather that only ressources that can appear related to the improvement.
I remember on my games on Rise of Mankind, new ressources could appear but it was always linked to the right improvement built, not totally random, and not that often.

Here is another weird thing : I believe new ressources are spawning a bit too often, and a bit randomly. I understand that you can find some cereals on a farm or metals on a mine, but it seems any kind of ressource can appear without regards to what kind of improvement is built there, I also often have ressources spawning on the plot of the city itself. I noticed that problem on the official release as well, but last night on the beta I had three ressources spawning in like 10 turns, on epic speed, and I have only six cities without very big cultural influence yet, I think the problem might be that every different ressource is checked for appearance every turn rather that only ressources that can appear related to the improvement.
I remember on my games on Rise of Mankind, new ressources could appear but it was always linked to the right improvement built, not totally random, and not that often.
This is controversial, to be honest.
I rather LIKE randomly spawned resources, and I LIKE the improvements (probably) working like "chance boosters" as opposed to "binary enablers".
But I'm not sure what the actual mechanic is, or what the mods would find being the better way.
Still, it's more of a feature than a bug to me, lol.

I rather LIKE randomly spawned resources, and I LIKE the improvements (probably) working like "chance boosters" as opposed to "binary enablers".
But I'm not sure what the actual mechanic is, or what the mods would find being the better way.
Yeah randomly spawned resources is just that - random discovery of things as workers work on those tiles.
Discovery message should be different from one when improvement related resource is discovered.
Most noticeable if you start without any resources. Chances are biased towards rarer resources.

Yeah randomly spawned resources is just that - random discovery of things as workers work on those tiles.
Discovery message should be different from one when improvement related resource is discovered.
Most noticeable if you start without any resources. Chances are biased towards rarer resources.
The question was whether finding Wheat on a Mine (or on an unworked Plain) was possible in the first place.
I rather think it's FUN, even though I also find the "improvements working as enablers" idea ALSO FUN.
Heck, I wish we could REPLACE resources that are already there (though "depletion" seems to be working in precisely that direction, I think).
Ya know, for EVEN MORE FUN, lol.

You described the mechanic correctly here. ^^

Hi guys. I encountered an error. I'm playing on the map UEM - Ultimate-Earth-Map v 5.8 on the latest SNV and noticed that all civilizations except island and Australia do not build a tribe or settlers. I made 1 more attempt for Spain at the highest speed, the situation is the same. I'm attaching saves. This was not observed on version 43.1.

Attachments

• Isabella BC-3963.CivBeyondSwordSave
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Cleopatra BC-7475.CivBeyondSwordSave
    11.2 MB · Views: 2
Was there changes to the world builder in any of the SVN recently? My world builder is missing a large chunk of the building list.

Edit: It just randomly reappeared.

Last edited:
No it was empty and then a few minutes later I went back in and it just appeared. No error messages no indication of anything wrong.

Hi guys. I encountered an error. I'm playing on the map UEM - Ultimate-Earth-Map v 5.8 on the latest SNV and noticed that all civilizations except island and Australia do not build a tribe or settlers. I made 1 more attempt for Spain at the highest speed, the situation is the same. I'm attaching saves. This was not observed on version 43.1.
I too noticed that in a game I started using one of Snofru's Space maps that the AI opponents are not building any cities other than the one they initially founded. I am using the latest SVN (11591) and the issue seems to have appeared quite recently i.e. this past week.

I too noticed that in a game I started using one of Snofru's Space maps that the AI opponents are not building any cities other than the one they initially founded. I am using the latest SVN (11591) and the issue seems to have appeared quite recently i.e. this past week.
I am also noticing it, I went into world builder and gave them settlers. Once they had settlers they started building cities like they should

Top Bottom