Snap UK General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
She'll quit soon enought. Even if she is arrogant enough to try to stay as prime minister, the tories will throw her out. She's nothing but a liability now. But what is the alternative I wonder.
BoJo...

Why did the conservatives take the risk ?

Reflecting a bit, with hindsight now, on the motives to have a snap election
Looking on internet for opinions at the time of that announcement that point out the possible risk of a smaller majority/hung parliament.
I cannot find much, except for a very few general remarks that polling is always difficult in UK (I guess also because of the electoral representative system).
Apparently risk free.

In my professional life (retired now) I worked more than 20 years for a big UK company (listed at the London stock exchange).
If Head Office had something that we did not want, we (managers in continental EU) said not really "no". Our line of action against it was usually emphasising the risks.
That worked quite well, especially when local legislation/culture was involved, but also in general.

So the question now nagging in my head is why ?
Is that risk minded culture only in UK business and not in politics ?
Was it personal, would another PM have done the same ?

Last edited:
Well that's hilarious. I deliberately went to bed after the exit poll, but I still didn't expect quite an epic loss like this. Theresa Dismay indeed! :lol:

It is a nice change to wake up, look at the election results and not end up staring at the screen in horror for several minutes.

Still it looks like the Torys will actually live up to their full name now.

Yeah that's a nice result to wake up to. Why is SNP losing so many seats though?

Because they won so many last election ?

That's not reason enough, is it?

Yes and a bit no
It could be that there were special reasons that the SNP got so many in 2015.
Leaves your question indeed open :)
and my remark a hint where the cause could be

Apparently Corbyn is looking at becoming minority PM. How would he go about this? With less seats than Conservatives, surely Labour doesn't have a better shot at minority government? It would seem his only reliable course of action is forming a coalition. My guess right now is we'll see a conservative government.

I wouldn't even call it straight "losing" tbh, what with 40% of the vote and a hung parliament. :)

Corbyn proves that he is very electable indeed, what with getting more votes even than Blair, DESPITE being attacked by his own (blairite ;) ) mps ^^
On the contrary, Labour did very well to get 40.1% of the votes.
Don't get me wrong, it was an incredible result, and I'm absolutely delighted. But if you don't get a majority of seats in parliament (or in your country if you're a nationalist party), you've lost. That is, always has been, and always will be, the definition of "winning" in UK politics: how many seats you get in parliament.

Apparently Corbyn is looking at becoming minority PM. How would he go about this? With less seats than Conservatives, surely Labour doesn't have a better shot at minority government? It would seem his only reliable course of action is forming a coalition. My guess right now is we'll see a conservative government.

If the DUP chooses not to back the Tories there's a mathematical path there but I can't imagine they won't.

A lot of English people are about to learn just what the DUP are. Can't imagine what grim pounds of flesh they'll demand in exchange for supporting the Tories.

What about Libdems? By the looks of it, they're barely strong enough to allow a conservative majority, so there would be two possible partners for Tories to remain in power. How would Corbyn break this? He needs more than one partner for any majority vote.

I'm not even sure about the constitutional process to PM office. Is there a majority vote to invest the PM, or is he/she appointed by the monarch?

So when will May resign. Who will replace her and what damage will it do to the Conservatives.

When will the new Tory government lose a no confidence vote. Boundary changes are due in 2018 which will benefit the Tories so labour has an incentive to bring the government at a time of their choosing before then. The Conservatives could call another election but I think they will be punished for calling yet another election.

The Conservatives will no longer beable to control the Brexit process in the UK.

I'm not even sure about the constitutional process to PM office. Is there a majority vote to invest the PM, or is he/she appointed by the monarch?

The person who can form a government goes to the palace to meet the Queen. If the Queen's Speech is not passed by Parliament, then stuff gets real (as they say).

Looking over the full results, it's interesting that despite their failure, the Torys increased their share of the vote. More people, both proportionally and in absolute numbers, voted for May than voted for Cameron last time round.

Why did the conservatives take the risk ?

Reflecting a bit, with hindsight now, on the motives to have a snap election
Looking on internet for opinions at the time of that announcement that point out the possible risk of a smaller majority/hung parliament.
I cannot find much, except for a very few general remarks that polling is always difficult in UK (I guess also because of the electoral representative system).
Apparently risk free.

In my professional life (retired now) I worked more than 20 years for a big UK company (listed at the London stock exchange).
If Head Office had something that we did not want, we (managers in continental EU) said not really "no". Our line of action against it was usually emphasising the risks.
That worked quite well, especially when local legislation/culture was involved, but also in general.

So the question now nagging in my head is why ?
Is that risk minded culture only in UK business and not in politics ?
Was it personal, would another PM have done the same ?

I think that it was her own decision. Another Prime Minister might have done it very dfferently.

The way I see it is that Theresa May was a reasonably competent minister, but as Prime Minister she was somewhat over stretched.

She failed to take the initiative and was from the very first reacting against the Brexit vote and its critics. It was in my opinion essential that
she create an environment for putting forward ideas on post Brexit agricultural, financial, immigration, industrial, social and trade policy etc
so as to create constructive debate and to positively enthuse parliament with the idea of being responsible for determining the nation's future.

Instead she got bogged down with the idea of creating an enormous repreal bill that would unecessarily incorporate vast quantities of EU law.

When she realised that determined guerrilla resistance would slow that process down to snail pace, she concluded that she needed a general
election mandate and a higher majority to push it through. What she did not understand was that she needed to present a positive vision to the
electorate to buy in to instead (like Hillary) believing that a promise of managerialism and a negative campaign against her opponent would suffice.

Don't get me wrong, it was an incredible result, and I'm absolutely delighted. But if you don't get a majority of seats in parliament (or in your country if you're a nationalist party), you've lost. That is, always has been, and always will be, the definition of "winning" in UK politics: how many seats you get in parliament.

Yes, but there will be another general election before long. I regard this as nothing more than a nil nil result on a two leg football match.

With everything considered I now think that Corbyn is only talking minoritarian government in order to force the Tories into forming an actual coalition government.

Also, looks like Sinn Fein picked up a few seats, while all Northern Irish parties that weren't the DUC and Sinn Fein got wiped out. IIRC, they're abstentionist in Westminster and don't take their seats. Does this reduce the majority required to form a government?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom