So.. not ready yet?

Xiao Xiong

Prince
I have not yet bought Civ V, as I have been waiting for the patches to come out that will make it an enjoyable game and based on the comments in this forum sounds like that hasn't happened yet..

I played a lot of Civ IV, though not to the level of some people here, I had a lot of fun with that game. Now I can't bring myself to play Civ IV because I feel it's past, meanwhile from the forum comments I can't yet bring myself to buy Civ V.

Damn. Hope they fix this sucker soon.

Well... it's still early into its release, and undergoing a designer-change.... so if you haven't picked it up yet, you may want to see what the next move will be from Firaxis/2k....

That being said.... I still enjoy the game... despite the issues

It's not even close to a perfect game, but it's good enough that a number of people are finding it enjoyable enough to play. Your best bet would be to play the demo, or just read as many opinions as you can on the forums, because at this point a majority of the people on the forums are either on one extreme or the other.

If you liked Civ4, chances are good that you will not like Civ5 very much.

The gameplay experience is just much more shallow. The game cannot be recommended in its current state.

Some people like it, some don't. You can't know which category you fit in without trying it. I guess you have to decide if the cost of the game is worth the risk.

Patches wont make the game more enjoyable for the people who already don't like it.

If you want to play a Civ/Empire Builder/immersive strategy game, then play Civ4. If you want to play a strait up strategy game, play Civ5.

(and don't make your choice based on tile format, the combat system, and graphics. Those are not legit reasons for making your choice. these 3 things have nothing to do with true Civ gameplay. Improvement of these 3 things make the game no better or no worse.)

If you liked Civ4, chances are good that you will not like Civ5 very much.

The gameplay experience is just much more shallow. The game cannot be recommended in its current state.

Liking Civ4 and liking Civ5 are not mutually exclusive. Civ 5 is a flawed and buggy game, but a lot of people find it enjoyable enough for the cost, and continue to play it and report bugs to make it a better game.

Liking Civ4 and liking Civ5 are not mutually exclusive. Civ 5 is a flawed and buggy game, but a lot of people find it enjoyable enough for the cost, and continue to play it and report bugs to make it a better game.

I have found that most of the Civ5 fans pretend to be very unhappy with Civ4.
"Religions sucks"
"Espionage sucks"
"Corporations suck"
"Moving just one stack sucks"
"Diplomacy sucks"
"Graphics suck"
"Civics suck"
"Combat sucks"

So, I don't think that somebody who really liked Civ4 can similarily like Civ5. Either you are going for variation, immersiveness and having different options, or you are going the one-way street.

Now I can't bring myself to play Civ IV because I feel it's past, meanwhile from the forum comments I can't yet bring myself to buy Civ V.

Have you tried any of the mods for Civ-4? I just started playing mods in 2010 after tiring of the vanilla BTS, and the quality and diversity of the mods is one reason I just can't stay in a Civ-5 game for more than 15 minutes.

I recommend anything from the Rise of Mankind (ROM), A New Dawn (AND), and Caveman to Cosmos (C2C) series of mods and mod-mods. Lot of other mods have LOTS of other fans. They're easy to search, download, and deploy. If you don't like a mod just unload it. It's hard to go wrong.

Note that since many of the modpacks add lots of new objects you need a stronger machine to run the large modpacks. Also in some mods the AI is not programmed to use the new objects and you can run into balance problems. But IMHO these are minor compared to the lack of immersion in Civ-5.

Well, if you think they're only pretending to be unhappy with Civ4, then surely you think they like both games, right? :)

I don't find it that hard to like both games. Both have a lot of things which are very good in concept, but weren't implemented well. One unit per tile makes battles a lot more tactical and interesting than "stack of doom, suicide cannons, plunge in" but the AI obviously can't handle it well, and it really hinders its performance. Religion is a unique concept which is massively important to history which isn't captured in Civ5 at all, but it mostly just ended up handing out massive (pointless) diplo bonuses/penalties or being used in cheesily in Apostolic Palace/UN victories.

The only way to be sure if you'd like Civ5 is to play it a bit. One advantage Civ4 has which was mentioned by other people here is a really huge variety of mods out there which can change gameplay a lot, and Civ5 just hasn't had the time to build up that volume. Especially if you feel Civ4 is kind of outdated, you can probably find a lot of enjoyment playing one of the more popular mods.

"Religions sucks"
"Espionage sucks"
"Corporations suck"
"Moving just one stack sucks"
"Diplomacy sucks"
"Graphics suck"
"Civics suck"
"Combat sucks"

So, I don't think that somebody who really liked Civ4 can similarily like Civ5. Either you are going for variation, immersiveness and having different options, or you are going the one-way street.

This is probably the worst post I've ever seen on this forum. I have never seen a single person on here who likes Civ V but does not like Civ IV. Every Civ V fan I've seen likes Civ IV, though they probably don't think it's perfect, which it isn't. Civ IV is a great game, though flawed; Civ V is a fun game, which has a lot of room for improvement and is not up to Civ IV yet. Still, since most of us have played Civ IV so much, it's worth playing Civ V for a new experience.

This is probably the worst post I've ever seen on this forum. I have never seen a single person on here who likes Civ V but does not like Civ IV. Every Civ V fan I've seen likes Civ IV, though they probably don't think it's perfect, which it isn't. Civ IV is a great game, though flawed; Civ V is a fun game, which has a lot of room for improvement and is not up to Civ IV yet. Still, since most of us have played Civ IV so much, it's worth playing Civ V for a new experience.

Sorry bonafide, but I have seen far too much of posts just like that from civ5 hater-haters. Just my own experience tho.

I have not yet bought Civ V, as I have been waiting for the patches to come out that will make it an enjoyable game and based on the comments in this forum sounds like that hasn't happened yet..

I played a lot of Civ IV, though not to the level of some people here, I had a lot of fun with that game. Now I can't bring myself to play Civ IV because I feel it's past, meanwhile from the forum comments I can't yet bring myself to buy Civ V.

Don't buy. I bought the game and I regret it.

And stop hoping for the patch, read this poll here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404948

Moderator Action: *snip*

I liked civ 4 and I enjoy civ5. There's a reason you see a lot of hate on this forum - or any forum. Simply put: people are more inclined to voice their opinion on anything when they are upset or angry about it. You don't see people posting positive things because they are most likely too busy enjoying their experience and feel no need to constantly post about how much fun they are having - intstead they are just having fun!

While Civ5 is far from perfect, you can still get a lof of fun from it, at least for the first 100-150 hours.

It is a much more difficult game post-patch - most of the early-game social policies have been downgraded and the AI's defensive and happiness bonuses have been ratcheted up - and technology whizzes by compared to slow build speeds, so you never get a chance to build much of an army before it becomes out of date - and there's not much to do besides besides bribe city-states to break the monotony - so if you enjoy an uphill struggle/slog you might enjoy Civ5 now :)

Top Bottom