What should Civilization VII bring back from previous installments?

I don't foresee individually-constructed general naval transport coming back, simply because it adds a separate and unnecessary complication to crossing oceans with units. You build the unit, you have to build the transport, you have to get them together, you finally cross. At the scale of Civ, that adds potentially years or decades to the entire process.

On the other hand, the automatic Your Land Unit Has Transports With It All The Time is more than a bit simplistic. A few scouts can whittle out canoes and keep going within a week. A major army is going to require something more, and a sophisticated amphibious operation with beach-landed troops, tanks, heavy equipment and direct support vessels is an entirely different kettle of amphibious fish that is really no longer modeled in the game at all. In WWII, only the British/USA Western Allies ever landed multiple divisions with all their supporting equipment and weapons on a defended hostile shore and made the landing succeed Every Single Time from North Africa to Okinawa. Neither Germany nor Japan ever landed anything larger than a reinforced regiment, while the Soviets tried a bunch of improvised estuary crossings but never managed to put anything onto a hostile shore heavier than some light tanks, and had multiple disasters or near-disasters among the operations.

So, there needs to be 'automatic' naval transport for speed and efficiency in the game, but with some serious Caveats where extra resources were required to achieve the object.

A simple Promotion allowing amphibious attacks won't do: real amphibious warfare implies not only extra training and experience on the part of the troop unit, but also the HQ in charge of the unit and the operation and the construction of a mass of very expensive and sophisticated transport assault vessels, support vessels, and supporting techniques of all kinds, like beach obstacle clearing, estuarial/beach reconnaissance (the original SEALs), and some very specialized weapons and vehicles (river crossings were made much easier by amphibious trucks and tanks like the 2.5 ton capacity DUKW amphibious trucks, supplied to the Soviet Union in enough numbers to form over 10 battalions of them - they are conspicuous in the accounts of the late-war crossings of the Vistula, Oder, Danube and other major rivers on the way to Germany).

In the Mexican War (1840s) the US military managed a for the time major amphibious landing at Vera Cruz, landing a small army complete with all of its artillery and equipment and horses on an open beach without losing a man or horse: an amazing achievement at that or any other time in history, and achieved without any special equipment, ships, or training but with a very professional force of school-trained and experienced soldiers, sailors, and officers. This should be part of the Amphibious Equation: try it with a bunch of Amateurs, you get disaster almost every time (I've argued before: a basic consideration of all military units in the game should be whether they are Amateur or Professional, with the latter able to do things the Amateurs simply cannot do successfully, but Professionals costing Major mainenance costs to keep them in being and training constantly)

In the 20th century, sophisticated and dedicated amphibious equipment is Required to land any size force, so Production Points (at least) will be required or, IMHO, this would be the one place where separate Naval Units would be appropriate: anybody since the middle of the 20th century who wants to land anything larger than a company or battalion has to have specialized landing ships and craft ranging from assault boats to sea-going assault boat and heavy equipment carriers.

I suggest that, assuming a Civ VI like organization of the game, at the beginning of the Atomic Era Civ VII might add a new Category of naval unit: the Amphibious Landing Ship (a generic term to encompass all the LSTs, LSIs, LSSs and other alphabetic landing ships of WWII) which both enhances any infantry unit making an amphibious landing (including greatly increased factors from all the dedicated direct support weapons) and also makes it possible to land Heavy Units like Armor or Artillery. Without it (and it would be at least as expensive as any Capital Ship) you could land 'scouts' (Rangers, Commandos, Special Forces, etc) without penalty, infantry units with penalties, and no heavier units at all.

If you want to play Semper Fi, the game, you will have to invest seriously in building the Amphibious support required, which is a much better and more realistic game mechanic, while keeping the general cross-ocean movement simple for most of the game.

Note that the very rare dedicated 'amphibious' equipment, like the beach-landing ships of the Byzantines, could be UUs rather than part of any line of Naval Units prior to the 20th century.

The ability to kill enemy Great Generals
But of course:

Benjamin_West_005.jpg

The ability to kill enemy Great Generals
- And unlike those who see the Leader as a strictly Off-Map Symbol of the Civ, I'd like the option to use the Leader as a Great General with the chance of getting him/her killed as well.

In that case I'd expect to lose the Leader Uniques' abilities for X turns, but it would bring the Leader 'into the game' more, which would not be a Bad Thing IMHO.

I don't foresee individually-constructed general naval transport coming back, simply because it adds a separate and unnecessary complication to crossing oceans with units. You build the unit, you have to build the transport, you have to get them together, you finally cross. At the scale of Civ, that adds potentially years or decades to the entire process.

On the other hand, the automatic Your Land Unit Has Transports With It All The Time is more than a bit simplistic. A few scouts can whittle out canoes and keep going within a week. A major army is going to require something more, and a sophisticated amphibious operation with beach-landed troops, tanks, heavy equipment and direct support vessels is an entirely different kettle of amphibious fish that is really no longer modeled in the game at all. In WWII, only the British/USA Western Allies ever landed multiple divisions with all their supporting equipment and weapons on a defended hostile shore and made the landing succeed Every Single Time from North Africa to Okinawa. Neither Germany nor Japan ever landed anything larger than a reinforced regiment, while the Soviets tried a bunch of improvised estuary crossings but never managed to put anything onto a hostile shore heavier than some light tanks, and had multiple disasters or near-disasters among the operations.

So, there needs to be 'automatic' naval transport for speed and efficiency in the game, but with some serious Caveats where extra resources were required to achieve the object.

A simple Promotion allowing amphibious attacks won't do: real amphibious warfare implies not only extra training and experience on the part of the troop unit, but also the HQ in charge of the unit and the operation and the construction of a mass of very expensive and sophisticated transport assault vessels, support vessels, and supporting techniques of all kinds, like beach obstacle clearing, estuarial/beach reconnaissance (the original SEALs), and some very specialized weapons and vehicles (river crossings were made much easier by amphibious trucks and tanks like the 2.5 ton capacity DUKW amphibious trucks, supplied to the Soviet Union in enough numbers to form over 10 battalions of them - they are conspicuous in the accounts of the late-war crossings of the Vistula, Oder, Danube and other major rivers on the way to Germany).

In the Mexican War (1840s) the US military managed a for the time major amphibious landing at Vera Cruz, landing a small army complete with all of its artillery and equipment and horses on an open beach without losing a man or horse: an amazing achievement at that or any other time in history, and achieved without any special equipment, ships, or training but with a very professional force of school-trained and experienced soldiers, sailors, and officers. This should be part of the Amphibious Equation: try it with a bunch of Amateurs, you get disaster almost every time (I've argued before: a basic consideration of all military units in the game should be whether they are Amateur or Professional, with the latter able to do things the Amateurs simply cannot do successfully, but Professionals costing Major mainenance costs to keep them in being and training constantly)

In the 20th century, sophisticated and dedicated amphibious equipment is Required to land any size force, so Production Points (at least) will be required or, IMHO, this would be the one place where separate Naval Units would be appropriate: anybody since the middle of the 20th century who wants to land anything larger than a company or battalion has to have specialized landing ships and craft ranging from assault boats to sea-going assault boat and heavy equipment carriers.

I suggest that, assuming a Civ VI like organization of the game, at the beginning of the Atomic Era Civ VII might add a new Category of naval unit: the Amphibious Landing Ship (a generic term to encompass all the LSTs, LSIs, LSSs and other alphabetic landing ships of WWII) which both enhances any infantry unit making an amphibious landing (including greatly increased factors from all the dedicated direct support weapons) and also makes it possible to land Heavy Units like Armor or Artillery. Without it (and it would be at least as expensive as any Capital Ship) you could land 'scouts' (Rangers, Commandos, Special Forces, etc) without penalty, infantry units with penalties, and no heavier units at all.

If you want to play Semper Fi, the game, you will have to invest seriously in building the Amphibious support required, which is a much better and more realistic game mechanic, while keeping the general cross-ocean movement simple for most of the game.

Note that the very rare dedicated 'amphibious' equipment, like the beach-landing ships of the Byzantines, could be UUs rather than part of any line of Naval Units prior to the 20th century.
What I have to say here is that, in Civ6 at least, nobody except the AI have the idea to attack cities with embarked units, nor have the idea to disembark with ground units in the middle of enemy territory, or at the very least not without vessels that would "clean" the coast. The naval strategies in Civ6 are so one attacks coastal cities with ships. Even taking cities is done with ships. (which maybe it shouldn't be possible)

I like your idea of an amphibious "battering ram"/"siegetower"/"etc." though.

I'm honestly not sure which former naval transport mechanic you're criticizing that sounds ridiculously over-complicated (maybe Civ4, which I have not played), but Civ1-3 all a have a much simpler way of doing it that should really come back.

I'm honestly not sure which former naval transport mechanic you're criticizing that sounds ridiculously over-complicated (maybe Civ4, which I have not played), but Civ1-3 all a have a much simpler way of doing it that should really come back.
He didn't say it was over-complicated, he said it was against the time span of the game, which he does dislike.

However, *I* said that it was a logistic nightmare, well not so because we have no choice, so we did manage to do it (and even pretty well in my case in my standards), but coming back to this after that would be a nightmare indeed.

He didn't say it was over-complicated, he said it was against the time span of the game, which he does dislike.

However, *I* said that it was a logistic nightmare, well not so because we have no choice, so we did manage to do it (and even pretty well in my case in my standards), but coming back to this after that would be a nightmare indeed.
Depends how it was approached. And, it still doesn't sound quite like it was done in Civ1-3, so it must a Civ4 thing, and maybe the mechaniic, with some tinkering and updating, should have the base go further back into the sereis to build on.

Depends how it was approached. And, it still doesn't sound quite like it was done in Civ1-3, so it must a Civ4 thing, and maybe the mechaniic, with some tinkering and updating, should have the base go further back into the sereis to build on.
IIRC in Civ4 transports were limited in troops. It could be maybe 4, then 6, then 8, something like that. I don't remember if it were the case in Civ1-3.

IIRC in Civ4 transports were limited in troops. It could be maybe 4, then 6, then 8, something like that. I don't remember if it were the case in Civ1-3.
In Civ1-3, each naval transport ship (there were four in the vanilla game, for different tech levels, in Civ2) did have a maximum number of land units they could carry (carriers in Civ2 could carry unlimited air units - and ANY air units, whiich WAS wonky, I admit), but the land units were transported by sea at the transport's movement rate. That DIDN'T sound like what @Boris Gudenuf was saying - I didn't quite follow - but I may have misread, or he may have typed it in a way that SOUNDED over-complicated.

In Civ1-3, each naval transport ship (there were four in the vanilla game, for different tech levels, in Civ2) did have a maximum number of land units they could carry (carriers in Civ2 could carry unlimited air units - and ANY air units, whiich WAS wonky, I admit), but the land units were transported by sea at the transport's movement rate. That DIDN'T sound like what @Boris Gudenuf was saying - I didn't quite follow - but I may have misread, or he may have typed it in a way that SOUNDED over-complicated.
I'm lazy to read his post again, but for sure, in my opinion, having to stick with x number of transports for Y number of troops, so that every transport is maximized in being full, ready for the D-Day, while troops can be upgraded anytime (and transports too) seems a nightmare to ME, nowadays.

By the way embarking troops was an ide of mines, because I just tried to figure out how this could work with an hypothetical 1UPT. (as well as I speculated on hexes for numpad use or for distance accuracy, which I discovered wasn't perfect either)

I'm lazy to read his post again, but for sure, in my opinion, having to stick with x number of transports for Y number of troops, so that every transport is maximized in being full, ready for the D-Day, while troops can be upgraded anytime (and transports too) seems a nightmare to ME, nowadays.

By the way embarking troops was an ide of mines, because I just tried to figure out how this could work with an hypothetical 1UPT. (as well as I speculated on hexes for numpad use)
Of course, 1UPT is something I've vigourous opposed as highly unrealsitic, and even ridiculous and cumbersome, unnecesarily, in a Civ-scale game, and this issue DOES appear to be heavily contested, with strong groups supporting differing viewpoints around it.

By the way embarking troops was an ide of mines, because I just tried to figure out how this could work with an hypothetical 1UPT. (as well as I speculated on hexes for numpad use or for distance accuracy, which I discovered wasn't perfect either)
And, magically conjuring units on transports is very wonky and strange, indeed. AoE3 did it, and it certainly felt wierd there, too.

Sorry if it sounded like more of a chore than I intended - I get wordy at time, in case you hadn't noticed.

Simply, I think all Naval Transport should be 'automatic' as it is in Civ 6 now, with the exception of Military Amphibious Assault. To put a unit onto a hostile shore (that is, into an opposing ZOC, Improvement, structure, or virtually anything not 'owned' by a friendly entity) would require either Amphibious Assault Transports (Atomic Era and later) or take a severe penalty to movement and combat factors in the turn they land.

So, you plan a lot of amphibious assaults, you have to invest in expensive specialized Naval Units in the late game. Earlier in the game, other than UUs (including types of Marines as well as a Very Few specialized ships) any landing against opposition is simply a major gamble.

And, magically conjuring units on transports is very wonky and strange, indeed. AoE3 did it, and it certainly felt wierd there, too.
To take the historian's view, the simple transporting of Troops or anything else from A to B across water has historically been the product of the general Commercial Fleet of the Civ: the rowed, sailed, or steamed freight/passenger/general commerce carriers that support your Civ's economy.

So (adding another brick of complication to the Load) your sea Trade Routes, Harbors, Shipyards and all other 'naval' constructions and sea Commerce activities would each add some fraction or multiple 'points' to your Sea Transport Capacity. You can, in one turn, transport one unit per Point. Any units beyond the capacity sit on shore and Wait. Every time a Raider intercepts one of your sea Trade Routes, you lose Point(s).

That reduces both World Wars of U-Boat Wars to a single mechanic, but it keeps it simple. Units like Scouts would be exempt, since that line of troops represents very small units with very small amounts of equipment: you can always put scouts or Special Forces ashore, you just may not be able to give them any support . . .

Sorry if it sounded like more of a chore than I intended - I get wordy at time, in case you hadn't noticed.

Simply, I think all Naval Transport should be 'automatic' as it is in Civ 6 now, with the exception of Military Amphibious Assault. To put a unit onto a hostile shore (that is, into an opposing ZOC, Improvement, structure, or virtually anything not 'owned' by a friendly entity) would require either Amphibious Assault Transports (Atomic Era and later) or take a severe penalty to movement and combat factors in the turn they land.

So, you plan a lot of amphibious assaults, you have to invest in expensive specialized Naval Units in the late game. Earlier in the game, other than UUs (including types of Marines as well as a Very Few specialized ships) any landing against opposition is simply a major gamble.
In Civ2, there is a land unit called, "Marines," that has a quality called, "can makes amphibious assaults," which means, they can attack units or cities right from the transport. For custom-designed units, this quality is a flag, than can be applied to any land unit with an attack value, and has no limit by time period (thus, "Berzerkergangs," for the Norse, or those Ancient Cretan or Rhodean warriors who were said to pull off an amphibious assault, or pre-Atomic Marines (which the British and Americans both had), or such an action by Russian Naval Infantry in the Crimean War, etc. - for all sorts of custom units - and the naval transport they come off of is not inherently a relevancy, in game mechanics.

Of course, 1UPT is something I've vigourous opposed as highly unrealsitic, and even ridiculous and cumbersome, unnecesarily, in a Civ-scale game,
And ?
and this issue DOES appear to be heavily contested, with strong groups supporting differing viewpoints around it.
Hey, yet another point you didn't make by yourself...
magically
Now, out of curiosity, what kind of magic is leaders living thousand years ? :hmm:

And ?

Hey, yet another point you didn't make by yourself...

Now, out of curiosity, what kind of magic is leaders living thousand years ? :hmm:
You are trying to portray OPINIONS as though they were objectively CORRECT or INCORRECT, and not actually valid as opinions. That presentation quickly grows grating.

I was sure it was the other way around.
I'm sure you feel that way. But I cease to care about your militant, toxic OPINION on this matter. This conversation is over!

Top Bottom