So what will be "left behind" when the rapture happens?

Veritass

Emperor
I read "Left Behind" (just the first book) a few years ago out of curiosity, and it made me curious about why the people disappeared. I had broached this subject on another message board, and thought I would re-ask it here.

Christians and other who bury their dead make a clear distinction that "you" are your soul, and that after you die, "you" are now in heaven, while your now-empty vessel of a body is in the ground. If the rapture comes, why do we think that, say, 1 billion people will suddenly disappear physically?

Scenario #1: What if we define the "soul" that goes to heaven as that which makes the body alive? Then 1 billion people will just mysteriously die. Of course, this makes for the same logistical problem as in "Left Behind" where millions of planes, trains, and automobiles are suddenly uncontrolled. It also adds the logistical problem of disposing of the 1 billion bodies, lest the decomposition and disease kill the rest of the population.

In this scenario, most of Europe and the Americas are suddenly decimated in population, which would probably be followed by expansion and imperialism out of Asia and Africa, and any number of other power grabs.

Scenario #2: What if we define the "soul" that goes to heaven as that which makes us human? There are plenty of animals that are alive, but that Christians define as not having a soul. In this scenario, we now have 1 billion "hairless apes" running around "...without the sense God gave you." That would produce an even greater logistical problem, and would probably require that the survivors define the new zombie-animals to be less than human, and eradicate them.

Either way, dystopia awaits.
Get right with [some] God.

I read "Left Behind" (just the first book) a few years ago out of curiosity, and it made me curious about why the people disappeared. I had broached this subject on another message board, and thought I would re-ask it here.
You should realize that the theological positions put forward there are a far from undisputed, even in American Evangelical. ;)

Christians and other who bury their dead make a clear distinction that "you" are your soul, and that after you die, "you" are now in heaven, while your now-empty vessel of a body is in the ground. If the rapture comes, why do we think that, say, 1 billion people will suddenly disappear physically?
It's more interesting that way. ;)

Scenario #1: What if we define the "soul" that goes to heaven as that which makes the body alive? Then 1 billion people will just mysteriously die. Of course, this makes for the same logistical problem as in "Left Behind" where millions of planes, trains, and automobiles are suddenly uncontrolled. It also adds the logistical problem of disposing of the 1 billion bodies, lest the decomposition and disease kill the rest of the population.

In this scenario, most of Europe and the Americas are suddenly decimated in population, which would probably be followed by expansion and imperialism out of Asia and Africa, and any number of other power grabs.
Actually, that is a pretty cool scenario. Though I don't think it would be much different from what happened in the books - maybe the "scientific" explanations would make a teeny bit more sense, and they'd have a lot of trouble getting rid of the bodies, but other'n that....

Also, I disagree with a lot with your last paragraph. Europe and the Americas are becoming increasingly atheist, while Africa and Asia are becoming increasingly Christian. (South Africa is 80% Christian, and South Korea is 30%) Depending on how far in the future the "Rapture" takes place, how future demographic trends play out (And of course, how we're defining Christian ;)) I'm not sure it'd be so clear cut.

Scenario #2: What if we define the "soul" that goes to heaven as that which makes us human? There are plenty of animals that are alive, but that Christians define as not having a soul. In this scenario, we now have 1 billion "hairless apes" running around "...without the sense God gave you." That would produce an even greater logistical problem, and would probably require that the survivors define the new zombie-animals to be less than human, and eradicate them.
That's true, a lot of Christians don't think animals have souls. But that's not actually expressed anywhere in the Bible, so that's kind of an assumption. (There's no indication that they're moral creatures requiring salvation, but there's no reason to think possessing a soul would require that. The angels are supposed to be only souls, and there's no mention of Christ dying for Gabriel) Though I agree, they'd probably have to exterminate the "zombies," just because feeding and taking care of that many people would cripple everything.

Either way, it will be a wonderful time as mankind will be able to progress unhindered by delusional people.

Note: I am being facetious

There wont be any left behinds nor would there be a rapture. It's just a bunch of Protestant hoo ha :p.

(FYI, The Catholic and Orthodox churches as well as the Reformed denominations have no tradition of such a teaching and reject the doctrine)

A lot of Christians don't believe in 'The Rapture'! Except for conservative protestants. Most ideas of the rapture come from the book of Revelation anyways, and that's notsupposed to be taken literally.

Only those worthy may touch my Taurus. Are you a member of the Taurus Car Club of America, El_Mac?

I don't see why belief in the rapture is so surprising. After all, more than 2 billion people believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Does anyone on these boards actually believe in "the rapture"?

I mean.. this is just some wacky fringe belief that a minority of crazies believe in.. kinda like the flat-earthers.. right??
I used to. Now I'm just more "agnostic" towards the various interpretations of Revelation - I don't know which is correct, if any, but I don't spend much time worrying about it. I don't see much point in arguing how the world will end; whether by Rapture or Tribulation, or proton decay, it doesn't much matter to me. :)

Hmm.. I don't believe you.

That would be a mistake. I was flippant and silly with my response, having the smiley and all, but rest assured I believe in the rapture, the tribulation of those left, the breaking of the seals, the devastation that will be loosed upon the world (Including one of CFC's very owl...Abaddon!!), and so forth.

The Anti-Christ WILL rise, and all the was foretold will take place.

I don't see why belief in the rapture is so surprising. After all, more than 2 billion people believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in all humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
And [insert number of atheists here] believe that the above is a fair and balanced description of Christianity. :p

TS said:
So what will be "left behind" when the rapture happens?

Everybody from fiftychat 'cept Erik Mesoy and Elrohir?

Go troll somewhere else please :) Not the world's biggest Christian, but it seems like your trying to take Curt Sibling's place more than add actual constructive conversation.

Howdy, pleased to meet you. :)

The Book of Revelations is bunk right? Like, the fringe of the Bible collection and whatnot? Like, full of metaphors and all of that jazz that are not supposed to be taken literally as a prophecy of the future?

At least that's what I've always gathered. Do you think it's happening anytime soon?

The Book of Revelations is bunk right? Like, the fringe of the Bible collection and whatnot? Like, full of metaphors and all of that jazz that are not supposed to be taken literally as a prophecy of the future?

At least that's what I've always gathered. Do you think it's happening anytime soon?[/quote]

No, I don't think it is bunk at all. As to when it will happen, only God knows. Not even Jesus knows the time of his return (which, btw, is one solid argument for Jesus not being God). 1 day, 10,000 years, who knows?

You are too mild on Christianity.

Anyway Ioannis was living in a Cave in Samos , i have been there , when he wrote the book. A guy that lives alone in a cave is crazy in my books so it is no wonder he imagined the Revelation ,etc. But actually i do think he is a bad "Script" writer , certainly a modern writter could think a better story. Though we have better story telling tools and we don't have to live in a cave to do so ...

Anyway , Ioannis was Crazy. Although he certainly is not the only one from the numerous Christian group.

Top Bottom